cocheese

Kbord needs a hug

Many hugs, lots of drugs to take away the pain...and a hot cabana boy to give you a massage. ;)

You're giving me away?:o

Nope....I don't give away my cabana boys. But...she's broken and in pain so I'd loan one to her for a few days. :P
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I had a trimalleolar ankle fracture. Here's my recovery timeline.

And here's a description of the incident.

Hope that might provide some perspective and perhaps an expection of how things may proceed.

Some observations:

1) Don't put weight on the leg. My doctor said, "Don't put any weight on it." That didn't mean put a little bit of weight on it, or put weight on it when I feel like it - it meant, "Don't. Put. Any. Weight. On. It." This seems to be a problem with skydivers, based on a variety of injury posts I've read.
2) Books, an internet-connected laptop, email, a telephone and the TV are your friend.

3) Keep the leg elevated. Avoid the whole "compartment syndrome" scene.

4) The better you take care of yourself now, the less problems you'll have later on.

5) Get your laptop hooked up to the Internet. If you are having connection problems, the first thing to do is remove power from the modem entirely, wait 30 seconds, then power it back up. Then connect it to your laptop.

6) Take a multivitamin and calcium supplements.

7) The first week is the most annoying, while you are trying to figure out how to do stuff like use the toilet without putting weight on the leg.

8) Speaking of which - get rails for your toilet. Easy to install, and really, really helpful in not putting weight on the ankle. I also used a wheelchair in the kitchen, and to sit at my desk, doing mail and such. A foldable eating tray is nice to have in the kitchen. The wheelchair was a rental.

9) I was on the couch for 3 weeks. I started going back into work the next week, once a week for a few hours. I'm a keyboard commando though. Adapt, improvise, overcome. Keeping the leg down can get uncomfortable. Especially in the first several weeks. Keeping it elevated was really helpful for me.

Adapt, improvise, overcome. Keep perspective. You're confined in a climate controlled environment, with access to the latest entertainment, in the USA, in 2008. This ain't Darfur.

Some more potentially interesting links:

http://eightstepstohealth.com/My_Trimalleolar_Ankle_Fracture.html

http://www.koaseeds.com/trimalleolar-fracture/ankle-page.html

Google searches on fracture recovery and such can provide some interesting reading.

Hope this helps.

I had a trimalleolar ankle fracture.
Hope that might provide some perspective and perhaps an expection of how things may proceed.

Some observations:

1) Don't put weight on the leg. My doctor said, "Don't put any weight on it." That didn't mean put a little bit of weight on it, or put weight on it when I feel like it - it meant, "Don't. Put. Any. Weight. On. It." This seems to be a problem with skydivers, based on a variety of injury posts I've read.

It REALLY is hard not to. Even in a non wt bearing, full leg cast, sometimes I find myself resting a little on it, mainly when in a sitting (non reclined) position. I am trying though.

Thank you for such a detailed reply. I'm a bit discouraged though by the length of recovery.... not that I was going to put Boston Marathon on list of things to do in 2008.... but I am kinda hoping to drive and regain independence a bit sooner than later. And I actually was disappointed in myself when I decided to close my clinics this week (mainly cuz having my foot down for any longer than a few seconds causes QUITE A BIT of pain). But at least your post gives me a more reasonable timeframes that I can look at and not be too annoyed with myself if I'm not driving by Feb 1st.

Thanks again!!:)

Get a wheelchair if you can! I've been in a wheelchair...hmm, I think 3 times in my life for longer than a month each, and it is sooooo much more comfy than those stupid ol' crutches!! :S

-And it's fun doing wheel chair tricks. :$

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

(mainly cuz having my foot down for any longer than a few seconds causes QUITE A BIT of pain).

You are a DOCTOR . . .
Medicate!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

How did you break it?

(I'm guessing a bad landing of some sort, but what happened exactly?)

It was nice to meet you and I hope you heal well!

I was flying a Sabre2 190. Winds were at about 10kts prior to manifesting. Came in with a pattern, but with my wingloading and the winds, I didn't have a lot of drive. I didn't come straight down, but at a steep enough angle that I just kinda watched the ground come up and didn't finish my flare (got it to my shoulders.... and then just kinda froze) According to others, it didn't look like it was a hard enough hit to cause considerable injury.... but I guess looks can be deceiving.

I need to work on the flaring. I have an issue with the ground.... so I keep staring at it, which doesn't make it go away. I need to learn how to better control that fear and nervousness.

I hope you get better soon[:/] I did a similar thing in October. I just started to drive and attempting to walk short distances last week. It's a real pain in the ass. I was lucky I had my parents and Brian to look after me. How badly did you break it? I had a compound tib/fib with nerve damage and ligament/tendon damage so hopefuly yours isn't as bad and you will be up and driving sooner then me. My boyfriend broke his fibula 3 weeks before me. It only took him a few days to start driving and he has already had his metal taken out and is cleared to skydive again in a few weeks. So maybe it won't be so bad.

I know it seems daunting now but, the time really does pass and every day you do feel better. Do something special for your self like have a girls movie night with your friends or buy the DVD box set of that TV show you like and never get a chance to watch. I bought my self a fuzzy robe, fuzzy PJ's and fuzzy socks and have been watching lots of the science Chanel.

I really hope you feel better soon:)

Fly like a girl

It REALLY is hard not to. Even in a non wt bearing, full leg cast, sometimes I find myself resting a little on it, mainly when in a sitting (non reclined) position. I am trying though.

There is a touch of leeway here. I was able to rest my cast on the floor when I was sitting up, which slightly loaded the cast. I didn't do it for too long, but it wasn't something that was going to impact the healing. I specifically asked the orthopedic surgeon about this, and he said resting it on the ground while sitting was okay. You may want to ask your orthopod about the sitting thing. But the bone healing is like slow setting epoxy - lack of movement and loading is paramount, so the epoxy can harden.

Thank you for such a detailed reply. I'm a bit discouraged though by the length of recovery.... not that I was going to put Boston Marathon on list of things to do in 2008.... but I am kinda hoping to drive and regain independence a bit sooner than later. And I actually was disappointed in myself when I decided to close my clinics this week (mainly cuz having my foot down for any longer than a few seconds causes QUITE A BIT of pain). But at least your post gives me a more reasonable timeframes that I can look at and not be too annoyed with myself if I'm not driving by Feb 1st.

I'm delighted it's provided some benefit. When I was recovering, I scoured the web for tidbits of information about fractures and recovery. I put the page up for both posterity and to provide information to others in a similar situation.

And here's one more link I found quite interesting: A description of the fracture recovery process.

One can make the best of the situation or make the worst of it. Making the best of the situation is much more pleasant :)

Back under the knife. [:/]

The fibula, which was fractured, but due to the ease and completeness of the reduction at the time of original surgery was not pinned. Well, now it has decided to become unruly and misaligned itself. (and NO.... it was not due to me being bad. I have been a very good girl! I still haven't been back to my clinic.... well, except after the ortho appt today - but the offices are right across from each other... so it would be rude not to)

So yet another week of . . . . nothing. I do have some good books though, and since I've been decreasing the narcotics, I might even be able to concentrate enough to understand them!

I don't know.... I want to trust what was done. I want to believe that I got excellent surgical care. (but part of me does wonder WTF didn't he just pin the fibula when he was in there?!)

I think some orthos are of the opinion that since the fibula isn't a major weight bearing bone, it doesn't matter how well it heals. :S Last time I broke myself, I found a website- mybrokenleg.com - I was amazed at how many people had fibula fratures that essentially were left untreated.