moto89

Jeb Corliss on the Colbert Report

I wouldn't say desperate.... I would say he is marketing himself to the households so that he can find sponsorship to build what he needs built for landing the wingsuit. He needs to raise something like 5 million dollars for it... If he is on television alot and calling the media when he goes to file lawsuits etc i would say he is a smart man. He is marketing himself and it is working if he is getting all these apperances in the media and on television.

That is not desperate, that is using his head.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I wouldn't say desperate.... I would say he is marketing himself to the households so that he can find sponsorship to build what he needs built for landing the wingsuit. He needs to raise something like 5 million dollars for it... If he is on television alot and calling the media when he goes to file lawsuits etc i would say he is a smart man. He is marketing himself and it is working if he is getting all these apperances in the media and on television.

That is not desperate, that is using his head.

As cynical as I am at times I really want to believe that the average person has enough sense to see him as little more than a pathetic media clown.

That is a shame because he has some serious skills, but he seems hell-bent on making a mockery out of himself.

He's no Dar Robinson or Evel Knievel.

Walt

I personally think he is trying a big marketing campaign and if he is i think it is a smart move or he will never get the funds needed to land the wingsuit.

You may think he is just trying to get famous,, one of us has to be right i suppose. Who that is I don't know but coming from a marketing background it seems to me that is what he is doing.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I personally think he is trying a big marketing campaign and if he is i think it is a smart move or he will never get the funds needed to land the wingsuit.

You may think he is just trying to get famous,, one of us has to be right i suppose. Who that is I don't know but coming from a marketing background it seems to me that is what he is doing.

He's already famous. It's not clear to me what he is doing but it looks very sad and self destructive.

Walt

just watched the clip. I got a good laugh out of it.

Why does everyone hate him for wanting to accomplish the impossible? weather it be for his ego, or to really do the things that people told him he can't.. it would still be doing something that hasn't been done yet.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

I had no idea people had such strong opinions about Corliss...

His name barely rang a bell to me when I caught his appearance on the Today show regarding his countersuit for the Empire State Building jump attempt. I posted my thoughts about said attempt (unsupportive) and only thereafter did I see there were so many other threads about him. :$

While I wasn't at all impressed with his demeanor on the Today show, I don't see what all the negative fuss is about with his other pursuits.

The man wants to attempt to land a wingsuit without deploying a parachute. Well, OK. Go for it, dude. Not sure why that might upset anyone.

[:/]

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Why does everyone hate him for wanting to accomplish the impossible? weather it be for his ego, or to really do the things that people told him he can't.. it would still be doing something that hasn't been done yet.

Maybe it's 'cuz he reminds me of that chick who went in face first in the parking lot but at least she didn't sue the parking lot owner for trying to kill her.:S

Walt

Why does everyone hate him for wanting to accomplish the impossible?

Maybe that's not the reason. Maybe it's cause he said he only wears black. I was actually a little disappointed when he shunned the red, white and blue idea. :S

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I personally think he is trying a big marketing campaign ...

I'm tempted to believe that someone is helping him out right here on dz.com, considering the number of threads I've seen about this :S

Maybe we should all just chill until he actually does it. Kinda like how we all stopped talking about, errr, that one French dude that wants to beat the high-altitude balloon jump record. (Yes, I know his name, but I don't want to start another thread about it).
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Maybe it's 'cuz he reminds me of that chick who went in face first in the parking lot but at least she didn't sue the parking lot owner for trying to kill her.:S

Walt

Did the parking lot owner sue her for millions of dollars in non-existent damages to their business?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Walt

Did the parking lot owner sue her for millions of dollars in non-existent damages to their business?

Don't know but I'm guessing not. To be fair to the ESB people, I'm sure that they *correctly* view Jeb's attempted stunt as being little different than someone throwing pennies off the top of the building to see if they really will crack the sidewalk.

By attempting that stunt during a high-traffic time, Jeb showed that he is all about Jeb and doesn't give a flying fuck about anyone who he might have injured or whose property he might have damaged. Do you find fault with ESB for wanting to do everything they can to prevent that sort of thing? I don't. They are showing one hell of a lot more concern about public safety than he is.

And I feel no sympathy for Jeb's potential for being hurt because he was handcuffed to the railing. He put himself in that position.

I'm retired from BASE but back in the day there was a sense of ethics among most BASE jumpers. We were putting ourselves in harm's way and risking it all for nothing but we had a clear sense that we were responsible for our actions and would accept the consequences.

Back then, I think Jeb would have been considered a whiney-ass bitch. I see no reason to view him differently now.

Walt

Why does everyone hate him for wanting to accomplish the impossible?

I was wondering the same thing.
I have never met Jeb but I like what he does and he seems like a very smart guy.
I honestly think it has to do with jealousy. I think most of us would love to have the attention, and sponsors to be able to follow our dreams.

Some people just playahate.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

there seems to ba a lot of jeb hatin' going on. skydivers tend to turn against anyone who is into self promotion and tooting their on horn, but i see nothing wrong with it. i hope he pulls it off. the more he's on tv promoting it, the more funding he will get. go jeb.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

That's a funny clip. Thanks for posting it. I watch Colbert a lot, but I guess I missed that one.

I agree. Good interview. People should chill.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Walt

Are you forgetting that Jeb's suit is a counter suit to the ESB's trumped up lawsuit?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

there seems to ba a lot of jeb hatin' going on. skydivers tend to turn against anyone who is into self promotion and tooting their on horn, but i see nothing wrong with it. i hope he pulls it off. the more he's on tv promoting it, the more funding he will get. go jeb.

Agreed.

Are you forgetting that Jeb's suit is a counter suit to the ESB's trumped up lawsuit?

Not at all. Here's my take on that.

I haven't read the specifics of the ESB lawsuit and I don't even know that the specifics have been published, but let's say for the sake of discussion that they are suing him for some outrageous amount for some sort of contrived claim of damages brought on by his attempted jump.

Sounds like a case of lawsuit abuse, right? It might well be, *but* do they really have any decent alternatives? I prefer to think that ESB sued him because it was the only tool they had available to them to stop their building from being used as a platform for things that put innocent bystanders in harm's way. A case of doing the *wrong* thing for the *right* reason.

Let's suppose Jeb made the jump and seriously injured a pedestrian. I'd say it's a safe bet that ESB would get sued. I doubt Jeb would give a fuck--that would be ESB's problem, not his.

I may be way off base here (no pun intended) but I'm assuming that ESB is trying to make it very clear that they do *not* condone nor tolerate the use of their building for activities that put innocent people at risk. If for no other reason, to try and protect themselves from future lawsuits.

Let's say you were in their situation. What would *you* do?

Walt