happythoughts

The Mosquito

No, not the obnoxious bug, the obnoxious sound device.

There is a range of frequency that teenagers can hear, but older people can't.

If you can hear it, it rapidly becomes annoying.
Convenience stores are using it to drive off loiterers.

Because only teenagers can hear it, some teenagers use it for their ring tone on their cell phones because their parents don't hear it.

Anyway, my buddy is a video guy, turned web guy, turned entrepeneur. He is marketing it now. His office is on the walking path at the park, so four of us were sitting on his back deck to play with it.

People over 30 just strolled by. There was one 25yo woman who could hear it, but it was no big deal until she stopped to talk to us.

It bugged the teenagers right away.
:D

Got an mp3 or similar file of said frequency? I'm curious if I can hear it.

clicky

I was surprised when the 25 yo woman said that she could hear it.

She was on her 4th lap around the path, so she said that she need to cool down for a second. After her heart rate slowed, she was able to hear it.

She said it would be annoying to listen to, for any length of time.

ok i'm 37 and can hear it.. it sounds a lot like the tinnitus i had for 2 days from being front row at a Motorhead concert in a tiny tiny gym in Bessemer ..Tinnitus

depending on volume that could be very very annoying..

direct link to the noise

this definitely qualifies as 'noise pollution' in my opinion... I expect law suits to follow shortly..

It's in use here in the UK in some areas - apparently there are about 3,500 installations already.

The Children's Commissioner (didn't even know we had one until now) says the Mosquito should be banned because it infringes young people's rights. Not sure about that - some teenage gangs are responsible for plenty of infringement themselves - but between this and the incredible amount of CCTV surveillance we have now, I feel more like a lab rat every day. [:/]

Edited to add: just played the sound file and I can hear it. Pretty unpleasant.

Help! I'm being repressed!

ok i'm 37 and can hear it.. it sounds a lot like the tinnitus i had for 2 days from being front row at a Motorhead concert in a tiny tiny gym in Bessemer ..Tinnitus

depending on volume that could be very very annoying..

direct link to the noise

this definitely qualifies as 'noise pollution' in my opinion... I expect law suits to follow shortly..

I can hear it...very annoying.

Got some real weird looks from the pups too! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I can hear it...very annoying.

Annoying isn't the word for it; It's more like having a screwdriver jammed in my ear!:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.