shortyj

O.k. this is just sad and nuts, what happened to the good old days?

So my son who is in first grade brings home a paper that says they are going on a field trip in May to the zoo. It's says parents can go, so I think cool bonding time I'll go:) I know it doesn't cost that much to go the zoo. So I keep reading you'll never guess what it is for a backround check:o:| can you believe that! I want to go and they can do a backround check, but $30:S
Playtime is essential.

Yeah that is sad... unfortunately in this day and age, you never know who might be a sex offender, hence the background checks... schools are just trying to dot all their i's and cross all their t's from a liability standpoint...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hi Shorty,
Well, for starts, how old are you? Do you have an account with a bank? Do you have "Credit Cards?" Were you ever or are you now on active duty in the US military? Have you ever worked for a company that had govt. contracts and required you to have a "security clearance" got that Clarence?? Do you have a "Mortgage?" If you have to pay a Zoo $30.00 for a background check to get in their joint, sounds like someone wants to put YOU in the Zoo!!! BTW back in '75 I jumped with the "San Diego Zoo 10 man (no women on the load) team from San Diego in the Ken Roberts Memorial Meet at Yolo in Mar of '75. Didn't need any background checks or no stinkin badges either.....then or now!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Strange.
I've had pre-employement back ground checks run on me, which've run approx $70, but never as a parent volunteer/chaperone.
Hmmm. I wonder what's up with that.

Here, it's not unusual to have to get a background check if you're volunteering with youth. But here, the association that you're volunteering with pays for the background check (at the least the ones I have worked with - and they're good for 2 years).

If it were me, I'd pay the $30, fill out the forms and thank the school for looking out for the kids.
'Shell

They probably started the background checks after that unfortunate incident a few years back with Clay and the sheep exhibit.[:/]

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

screw that school! yank your child out of school for the day, and take em to the zoo yourself! hell, my wifes mother would do that often, when her daughter, my wife, was not getting proper class lessons. just one more reason i am going to home school my child...er, when i have one.

So my son who is in first grade brings home a paper that says they are going on a field trip in May to the zoo. It's says parents can go, so I think cool bonding time I'll go:) I know it doesn't cost that much to go the zoo. So I keep reading you'll never guess what it is for a backround check:o:| can you believe that! I want to go and they can do a backround check, but $30:S

I get mine done the first of the school year and am good to go from then on whenever they need me.

jon

Annual crim. record clearances have been S.O.P. for parent volunteers at my kids' schools for several years now.

The good old days never existed. Witness the thousands of adults today who were abused as children. The general public has just become more universally aware of it in present times, and preventive procedures are starting to catch up with the increased awareness.

screw that school! yank your child out of school for the day, and take em to the zoo yourself! hell, my wifes mother would do that often, when her daughter, my wife, was not getting proper class lessons. just one more reason i am going to home school my child...er, when i have one.

TOATALLY agree with you about yr above commit! I cannot wait til Molly graduates next year and therefore I am done with that part of the system in my life.... with the exception the "have to taxes"... WAIT a minute.... If I pick uP and live in a camper... I dont have to pay those anymore, except maybe through a fuel tax.... or my campground tax... But anyway, my kids have learned so much more out of the classroom than in! Sad days for the public skool system! We home schooled our oldest for the last 3years of HS, and it was a big pain, (for us anyway) so we didnt do it for the last two kids...

SCHOOL= indoctrination to "THE SYSTEM" scary shait peeps!

Tak yr kid out of school for the day and go to the zoo yourselfs and take the first 15dollars and buy ice cream for the kid and the other 15 for a jump tix... :) wooHoo

That's bullcrap! They always want parents to get more involved, and then they throw that stuff at you. When I helped coach Little League, I had to give them my driver's license number and they ran a check on me, but there was no fee. For a $30 fee, they could have kissed my ass and I would have sat up in the bleachers. Same with the last field trip I went on. Your school district has serious trust issues.:S

i had to pay around $85 for mine twice (for two different states) - i know all chaperones and sports coaches need to have one also, but the kicker is that chaperones and coaches didnt have to pay for theirs:S

it's sad that our society has gotten to a point where a lot of parents freak out over everything - and also people have started behaving in manners that people NEED to be checked out - however not all screwballs have been caught by the law -IMO we've become WAY too overprotective

"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

Hi Shorty,
Well, for starts, how old are you? Do you have an account with a bank? Do you have "Credit Cards?" Were you ever or are you now on active duty in the US military? Have you ever worked for a company that had govt. contracts and required you to have a "security clearance" got that Clarence?? Do you have a "Mortgage?" If you have to pay a Zoo $30.00 for a background check to get in their joint, sounds like someone wants to put YOU in the Zoo!!! BTW back in '75 I jumped with the "San Diego Zoo 10 man (no women on the load) team from San Diego in the Ken Roberts Memorial Meet at Yolo in Mar of '75. Didn't need any background checks or no stinkin badges either.....then or now!!

The zoo is not requiring the background check, the school district is. As a precaution, since she will be accompanying children. They are trying to identify potential child molesters.

I guess it makes sense, but I had never heard of this requrement til now Shorty. I agree, it's sad that it's necessary. But I guess it's good that the school is trying to watch out for the kids.