The111

Help me catch a petty thief

Buying the gum back is simply not good enough. As others have stated, this person will not hesitate to steal again if he/she is let off too easy in this instance; they need to be fired in order to reap [and hopefully] learn from the consequences of their actions.

I don't even want the gum back, it's not the money I care about. If I had cared about it I would have locked it up, as I lock up anything else worth more than $5. But that's just a precaution against something I don't expect to happen, which is a thief in the office. Now that I know there is a thief in the office, I (and others) would like him gone. I will continue locking up my good shit and leaving out my cheap shit, and they can steal all the cheap shit they want until they're busted.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

when you make > $200K you can shrug off a hundred dollars a lot easier than you can when you make $40K.

This will be my last arguement to you after a comment like this one as all your doing is simply rationalizing and not providing valid counter-arguements to my legitimate ones.

So by your line of reasoning it would be ok for me to steal someone elses rig just because they have 50 of them. I mean they really dont NEED more than about 4 or 5 right? They arent using them all anyway.

Or how about stealing a couple of J Lenno's cars? God knows he has a shitload of them and would consider just 1 gone a drop in the bucket. Am I pretty much understanding you right on this?
Muff #5048

I'm sorry; a pack of gum is just not worth firing someone over. Embarrassing them, maybe. And no, if they do it to gum it doesn't mean that they'll steal something more valuable. How many pens from the office does each of you have at home?

You can put a sign on the gum saying "it's tacky to steal" or "no, this isn't for public consumption" you can use the webcam and then just confront them (if you do it around other people, and don't use "steal" just use "got" it's more embarrassing without costing them their jobs).

But yeah, not everything is worth getting pissed off about to me.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I agree with you Wendy on this. Its not worth losing a carreer over. This is more of the action I would consider taking personally:

you can use the webcam and then just confront them (if you do it around other people, and don't use "steal" just use "got" it's more embarrassing without costing them their jobs).

But also, because he stole a pack of gum (twice in a row might I add) it proves that he/she doesnt have a problem doing it. If they dont have any problem stealing gum then that doesnt mean that they wont steal something more valuable. Confronting the individual, though, may be all thats required to change their clepto behavior.
Muff #5048

I'm sorry; a pack of gum is just not worth firing someone over. Embarrassing them, maybe. And no, if they do it to gum it doesn't mean that they'll steal something more valuable. How many pens from the office does each of you have at home?

You can put a sign on the gum saying "it's tacky to steal" or "no, this isn't for public consumption" you can use the webcam and then just confront them (if you do it around other people, and don't use "steal" just use "got" it's more embarrassing without costing them their jobs).

But yeah, not everything is worth getting pissed off about to me.

Wendy W.

I agree with all this but even the OP said it wasn't really about the gum. It was about having a thief in the office, which really does suck. Of course there isn't any way of knowing if the petty gum thief is also stealing purses or whatever else is turning up missing in the office.

I leave a pack of gum on my desk, I don't care if someone takes a piece, but taking the whole pack is just wrong!

I'm not saying it;s right, I'm just saying I wouldn't spend the time laying elaborate traps to catch someone who stole a pack of gum.

I wouldn't go buy a $100 dlink internet camera to do it, but if I had the equipment, definitely. Office thieves fuck up moral and need to be punished severely.

But...there are cubicle spots where you leave food and it's generally accepted that it's meant to be shared. That implies take a piece, not the whole pack. Can't tell where this situation falls.

Think about this. Do you REALLY want to fuck up someones livelihood over a pack of gum? Get over it.
You probably lost enough change to buy 2 in a couch over the last week.

Boy do I disagree, the difference between a petty thief and a hardended criminal is only the value of what they stole. This is just the beginning, or the sign of a very lazy thief. Leave out more, more will be gone. Teach the lesson early, and give this person a chance to learn a lesson at an easy stage, before something like a jail term is necessary
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

when you get a little older you'll learn to let the little shit go grommet.

i am little older (45) and i cant stand thieves. Trust is VERY important to me and trusting the people i work with is imperative, for me to stay working there, A pack of gum is an indicator not the sum total.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

How petty do you have to be to get someone fired for taking GUM.

Let's ask this question. Would you want them to be fired if it were a co-worker? What if they were only responsible for taking the gum, and had no relation to the purse? What's your level of clearance at Lockheed (if any).

Good god, you sit in a cubicle, you should KNOW better than to leave anything you don't want "borrowed" around. :S

Take a deep breath, and say, "1 2 3, petty shit doesn't need to be so important to me." ;)

.jim

"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

How petty do you have to be to get someone fired for taking GUM.

Let's ask this question. Would you want them to be fired if it were a co-worker? What if they were only responsible for taking the gum, and had no relation to the purse? What's your level of clearance at Lockheed (if any).

Good god, you sit in a cubicle, you should KNOW better than to leave anything you don't want "borrowed" around. :S

Take a deep breath, and say, "1 2 3, petty shit doesn't need to be so important to me." ;)

.jim

let me know where you leave your shit, I'll organise to have someone remove it systematically, starting with the inexpensive stuff
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It has happened:

Beer thief came back and took that bottle that was opened, pissed in and re-capped.

Food thief came back and took that piece of cake that was made with ex-lax in it.

Food thief came back and took those hot dogs that had been swiped up and down the ass crack.

Gas thief came back and took that large can of gas that had been watered down by half.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Think about this. Do you REALLY want to fuck up someones livelihood over a pack of gum? Get over it.
You probably lost enough change to buy 2 in a couch over the last week.

yeah, how about just leaving a note on a pack of gum that says stop taking this stuff or you will be fired. I really hate thieves, but have a sense of proportion.

A VP at my last job left a twenty dollar bill sitting in plain sight in his cubicle permanently. Said it was a workplace honesty meter and made him feel good every morning when he returned to see it in place.

Cleaning crews get blamed for lots of stuff they don't do. I worked one summer as a janitor and know that first hand. A couple of cases of toilet paper and tampax disappeared from a storage area. I got the f--king third degree but it wasn't me. It is really disheartening to be a suspect every time something goes missing. That's what it's like if you are a janitor.

'
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.