Slowfaller

VRrrooom!! Motorcycle license in hand

After practicing cones for an hour in a parking lot my brother and I rode to a DMV and I passed my motorcycle road test, my first attempt. From what I understand this isn't usually done on the first try. It took my brother 3 tries, a friend 2 tries and there was a couple there taking it for their 2nd time.

Next month my wife and I plan on taking an MSF course so I can learn something I don't already know and so my wife can learn to ride.

Let's hope for a long summer!

--"Someday you will die and somehow somethings going to steal your carbon" -MM

Do you have any examples regarding bad habits?

I've been riding for about a week now so I'm real green.

Edit: thanks for the compliment. The dmv tester thought it was a 250cc and had me do the uturn in the smaller area. After I passed I realized the mistake he made and let him know that it was actually a 650cc!

I actaully suggest that people take a MSF Basic course first... That because I am a MSF Coach.... hhehe

business investment with rising gas prices and all:P

Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Just some things they taught in my class but a lot of people I've seen do otherwise:
Do use the kill switch to turn off the bike
Don't put it in neutral when at a stop light/sign
Ride with both hands (but yeah it's cool to ride one handed and yes I do it too :P)

I actaully suggest that people take a MSF Basic course first... That because I am a MSF Coach.... hhehe

business investment with rising gas prices and all:P

I have to agree here. Not to mention that when you complete the MSF course you get a waiver card to take to the DMV and you do not have to take the actual driving test :D

I did that 10 years ago :)

Oh and PLEASE be very careful driving in Chicago (and on most good sized roads with lots of traffic) there are a lot of people who do not pay attention on the roads to those people on motorcycles. My father was hit twice, once by a drunk driver and another time when a guy was not paying attention and lane changed right into him. My father is lucky he only spiral broke his leg twice, once each accident.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

don't do a lane change while checking your blind spot - look back, then shift over. As scary as the possibility of fast moving people behind you may be, it's the non moving objects in front of you that can really hurt.

In a similar vein, tailgating prevents you from seeing objects in the road (tires, mattresses, fucking scary ladders) until you have no choice but to run over it.

Nice bike! The class is really worth it. Don't get any habbits stuck before u go though, otherwise its going to be hard to pass the class

I took the class a couple years ago after already putting 25,000 miles on my bike which I do not suggest. Being the only one in the class with experience I found you'd have to be pretty dense to fail the course even if you've never ridden before.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

remember you have to perform the circle both right and left without touching your feet to the ground and without your front tire (might be rear as well) going outside the lines. They will want you to do the right circle at a walking pace. I couldn't do it because my bike won't make the turn radius going right thanks to the throttle.

Otherwise the rest of it is a piece of cake. :)

www.FourWheelerHB.com

I couldn't do it because my bike won't make the turn radius going right thanks to the throttle.

Feather the rear brake, that'll make it much easier.;)

http://www.newenough.com
Not on my bike :D:D Links brakes baby;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Congrats! I'm relatively new to the game myself but I'll second the thoughts of others and say get that MSF class early! In my class it seemed like the few folks that had been riding for a while were a little more jaded about the experience, feeling like they didn't really need to be there. As a result they just kind of coasted through the extreme basics to start without paying a whole lot of attention and later in the class when the basics were put to use they had trouble.

Just teaches you to think about things you likely won't get learning on your own.

Have fun and be safe!!!
Killing threads since 2004.

I just got my Licence recently too...I did it really fast i got my temps on one day and took my licence test the next day and passed...It's easy to pass the test but I deff want lots and lots of experiance so I dont kill myself. Have fun with that bike!

I couldn't do it because my bike won't make the turn radius going right thanks to the throttle.

Feather the rear brake, that'll make it much easier.;)

http://www.newenough.com

lol it's not a matter of difficult. It's a matter of impossible. Turn all the way to the right and it can't make the turn radius. I could probably do it with a little bit a of speed and lean but they wanted it at a walking pace. It kinda pissed me off they expected me to perform something impossible to do on my bike in order to earn a M class license.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Sorry, I was camping all weekend (didn't take the bike on the 5 hour ride) so I missed all of these posts.

I just got my Licence recently too...I did it really fast i got my temps on one day and took my licence test the next day and passed...It's easy to pass the test but I deff want lots and lots of experiance so I dont kill myself. Have fun with that bike!

Same here although not as fast. It started with me looking into buying a 150cc scooter. After some reading I learned you need a motorcycle license for that size of a scooter so I went and got my permit one day after work. That just involves a 15 question written test which was a breeze. Two days later my brother invited me to learn and practice on his 650cc Hyosung cruiser. I knew the basics on how to operate the bike so I cruised the neighborhood streets on his bike and bought mine the same day. Found a good deal on a 06 suzuki s40/Savage. A week later I'm licensed!

Thanks for the congrats and tips everyone. Youtube has been a wealth of knowledge too believe it or not.

Chris

Are you sure it's not possible? I've never seen a bike that won't turn right the same as it will left. It's just a matter of practicing both directions.

There are loads of police competition videos no youtube. Here's one of many. Look up a user named silversvs as well. He's posted a lot of good video.

Tip:
Sit close to the tank, sit up, cover the rear brake and feather as needed, turn your head the direction your turning and don't fixate on the front wheel, look way past. Be aware of it but keep looking through the turn.

Good luck.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Are you sure it's not possible? I've never seen a bike that won't turn right the same as it will left. It's just a matter of practicing both directions.

There are loads of police competition videos no youtube. Here's one of many. Look up a user named silversvs as well. He's posted a lot of good video.

Good luck.

On some sports bikes the steering locks out on the right because you have to have your hand on the throttle, as the bars hit full lock the throttle pushes against the tank and prevents operation
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Good luck.

On some sports bikes the steering locks out on the right because you have to have your hand on the throttle, as the bars hit full lock the throttle pushes against the tank and prevents operation

Yep. I get a full inch more turn on the left than the right.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

What bike do you have?

***Hey slowfaller, sorry to hijack ;) Nice bike by the way. Have fun with it and good luck. Good riding gear is a must. Falling off hurts so at leat give yourself a chance with good riding gear.

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto