scottbre

Gas and Jump Ticket Prices

Around this time last year, many DZ's started raising their jump ticket prices in an apparent attempt to keep up their (however slight) profit margins in response to the rising price of gas. It looks like gas prices are going to get even worse this summer. What do you think the chances are that jump ticket prices at some DZ's might again go up? If they do go up, again, how will that affect your jumping habits? Will you jump just as much and just pay more or will you actually cut back a bit in an effort to keep your skydiving budget under control.

Personally, I spent every weekend for about a month, last summer, at a DZ that was further away than other DZ's in my area, because I liked the DZ and the people there, right up to the point where they decided to raise their jump ticket price from 20 to 21. All of a sudden it didn't seem as attractive to me to spend my weekends there anymore.

:|

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

Oh my GOD! A $1 per jump increase? Oh, the horror!

Seriously, it's already an expensive sport. We just budget what we can spend, and then procede to spend roughly double that amount anyway.

I'm a poor (broke) college student, but i can honestly tell you that every spare cent I have will be going to jump tix.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Does the $1 make that much of a difference? Are you doing 500 jumps a year?

I have sympathy, and its a hard balance for a DZ to keep prices low and keep enough of a profit margin to keep the place open...not only that but not pass all of the burden on to the student jumpers.

All in all, I personally believe that lift tickets are being sold at 1/2 price, to keep up with gas and inflation the tickets should really be about $40...although that would ultimately suck.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

All in all, I personally believe that lift tickets are being sold at 1/2 price, to keep up with gas and inflation the tickets should really be about $40...although that would ultimately suck.

Thats about the cost in the UK. :(

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

I agree that the dollar more isnt that big of a differnce except when like aggiedave said u do 500 jumps or more. But its also the fact that what every 3-4 months when it goes up a dollar u keep saying oh its only a dollar, but since gas has been going up, over just the last year alone my dz has gone from $17 to $21. now that does make a difference, and soon it will likely be more.
----
-God, you are the perfect amount of dumb...

It's an expensive sport, and we'll just keep paying. It just means a few less jumps a year for the same price. I look at the pump price, and watch it rise, so I know what prices are doing. I'll NEVER blame the DZ's for the prices. Well, except for ASC. I'll blame them for anything. ;)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

A one or two dollar difference in jump prices is the last thing I consider when choosing DZ's.

That said, an Otter burns about 30 US gallons per load to 13,500 ft. The going rate on Jet-A is $1.50 per US gallon. If you increase that to $1.70, that $0.20 increase means an extra cost $6.00 / load, or $0.27/jumper on a full load. It's disingenuous to claim high fuel costs require an extra buck, never mind two. This example is contrived because the price is not expected to rise another $0.20.

The cost of gas for your car is only loosely related to the cost of JET-A.

Dropzones in competitive environments are not raising ticket prices. DZ's are adapting by keeping their planes full, and minimizing startups and idle-times.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

The cost of gas for your car is only loosely related to the cost of JET-A..

Right. There's also the seasonal changes in prices due to the refineries changing production from Jet-A to heating fuel for homes and such. This happens during the height of our jump season in August or so. The price of Jet A starts going up through winter then starts coming back down again in the spring a bit. However, over the past couple of years it didn't come back down that far if that at all.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

the buck dosent bother me at all
even though it would suck i would pay $40 to play in the sky if gas prices went that high

but gas prices going up keeps me working it helps more than hurts

i guess im on the other side of the spectrum

Not only will you look better, feel better, and fuck better; you'll have significantly increased your life expectancy. --Douva

Personally, I spent every weekend for about a month, last summer, at a DZ that was further away than other DZ's in my area, because I liked the DZ and the people there, right up to the point where they decided to raise their jump ticket price from 20 to 21. All of a sudden it didn't seem as attractive to me to spend my weekends there anymore.

Did you really like the place if all it took was a dollar raise to get you to not be there? Seems like it wasn't that great from your actions.

My home DZ, SGC (1hr 25 min away) raised their price $2 and I still went because that is home and I love the people. Is $1 really worth not seeing and having all those great memories and jumps? They need to survive too, they need your support.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I jump up at the farm their price is 18 dollars a load is there anywhere else that price. Don't let hans know about this thread. th efat china man will increase his prices:)
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

The dollar doesn't bother me because I know that I had the opportunity to lock in my jump prices at the dzs that I will be frequenting. Plus, the best jumps I have ever done and the coolest people I've met in the sport are worth that extra dollar.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Skydive Miami raised their tix from $20 to $22 in Jan. (altitude to 12,500 most of the time) They also raised the cost for the staff jump tickets. Therefore, packers started charging $1 more for pack jobs - up from $5 to 6$. That was it for me. I REFUSE to pay almost $30 (after tip to packer) for each jump. I bit the bullet and pack myself now - plus I jump less there now. 4 years ago I was paying $15 (to 14,000) at Skydive America in Pahokee....wow, have times changed!

I just hope that all the major boogies decide that they're selling a large enough amount of jump tickets that they they don't feel the need to make the jump tickets more than they were last year.

It was refreshing to see that jump tickets at WFFC were still just $20 after a whole summer of hearing how prices were rising at different DZ's.

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

the buck dosent bother me at all
even though it would suck i would pay $40 to play in the sky if gas prices went that high

but gas prices going up keeps me working it helps more than hurts

i guess im on the other side of the spectrum

I saw a big feature in the weekend Seattle P-I about how the rising prices are making it worthwhile to drill domestically again, and how there's a shortage of qualified oil field workers (read - cheap labor), so they're turning to everybody's handy-dandy source, illegals.

That's not germaine, however. The fact is that if prices get much higher, it'll make it worthwhile to obtain from other sources (even domestic), or develop alternatives. Not to worry (yet!).

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I bit the bullet and pack myself now -
------------------------------------------------------------
I have a feeling I'm gonna have to do the same this season.

Do you even know how to pack? :D

Besides, i still owe you like 20 packjobs or sumthin.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

well my DZ is 174 miles one way, so the trip alone cost a couple jump tickets in gas. I love the dz, so I wont go anywhere else I will just have to cut back my jumping.

Yup - it's only 70-120 miles for my choices, but the driving cost there dwarfs any dollar increases on their end.

I'm gonna start looking for carpoolers - $$ aside, it could get me to the DZ before the afternoon on Saturdays.

Yep, prices went up $2 :(at my DZ also, $22 to 15K, $25 to 18K. But hey, once you are addicted, you pay whatever it takes to get your fix. I'll just start packing my own rig to make up the difference.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity