AggieDave

Heart Rate Monitor questions

I'm trying to find a heart rate monitor for my triathalete wife.

She doesn't want one that uses a strap that goes around your chest. Are there any on the market that do not use that wireless strap AND are worth using? I've found a couple that you put your fingers on sensors on the watch and it will calculate your heart rate, but those don't work all that well.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I didn't look closely, but do you think this might be worth a look from Suunto:
http://www.suuntocampaigns.com/tseries/

I know it has the belt, etc. But my Suunto has survived conditions that would make other watches cry (grit, heavy impact...explosions :o:P) and I bet the sacrifice is worth the ability to analyze performance.

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I dont think you have a choice other than the fingers on the sensors type. Mine has the chest strap and all sorts of cool stuff like GPS and elevation .. stuff I barely can figure out. But its COOL. I got used to the chest strap.

One of my friends has one that is a brand called MIO. She has to use her fingers on the sensors, but she likes it and says it works fine.

I've got a Mio watch- the kind that you put your fingers on the sensors. The heart rate monitor is very accurate and you can program in your personal information- sex, age, weight and resting heart rate. I do find the calorie counter (that tells me how many calories I am burning) to be a little "stingy" compared to the machines I use at the gym, but that also is probably more accurate because it does have all my personal information.

There's no chest strap and it is very affordable (less than $40.00 at Walmart when I got mine) although it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some of the other models. And I have no issues with the accuracy of the heart rate monitor at all.

I know polar makes sport bras that their HRMs will fit in... I also know that it's an unusual sensation when initially wearing an HRM strap but I've gotten to the point where it's unusual to not have it on... I wear my Garmin HRM strap whenever I ride my bike or run (I have both an Edge and a Forunner) that provide me with my heart rate, speed, etc... the Edge will also work with a number of Power meters for the bike... (I just don't see myself as being elite enough to shell out $1500 to install a power meter on my rear tire)

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I've got a Mio watch- the kind that you put your fingers on the sensors. The heart rate monitor is very accurate and you can program in your personal information- sex, age, weight and resting heart rate. I do find the calorie counter (that tells me how many calories I am burning) to be a little "stingy" compared to the machines I use at the gym, but that also is probably more accurate because it does have all my personal information.

There's no chest strap and it is very affordable (less than $40.00 at Walmart when I got mine) although it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some of the other models. And I have no issues with the accuracy of the heart rate monitor at all.

Will it give an accurate HR while you are running or just when you stop to check?
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

I know polar makes sport bras that their HRMs will fit in... I also know that it's an unusual sensation when initially wearing an HRM strap but I've gotten to the point where it's unusual to not have it on... I wear my Garmin HRM strap whenever I ride my bike or run (I have both an Edge and a Forunner) that provide me with my heart rate, speed, etc... the Edge will also work with a number of Power meters for the bike... (I just don't see myself as being elite enough to shell out $1500 to install a power meter on my rear tire)

Scott

I'm amazed at how many power-measuring rear hubs I see while cycling around Boulder.

BTW Only the 705 Edge works with power-meters. I have one, but have no interest in blowing the money on the hub.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Most of my "running" is done on the elliptical and I don't stop when I check. The elliptical has a built in HR monitor and generally the readings from it and the mio are the same.

I'm sure there are better and more accurate products out there, but for the money, it does all that I need it to do with no chest strap.

BTW Only the 705 Edge works with power-meters. I have one, but have no interest in blowing the money on the hub.

that's what I have... but I too don't feel the need to add the capability at the moment... maybe someday... but I doubt I'll ever feel as though I'm good enough to need it.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I don't believe that are any easy alternatives to the chest strap HRMs. Chest strap is the norm. Yes, it's annoying the first few times you wear it, but eventually you get used to it and it ends up being a crucial training aid if you teach yourself to train in your correct HR zones. I wear mine on every run (and on the rare occasions that I bike).

As far as brands go: Garmin, Polar or Suunto. Take your pick they all work great.

Most of my "running" is done on the elliptical and I don't stop when I check. The elliptical has a built in HR monitor and generally the readings from it and the mio are the same.

I'm sure there are better and more accurate products out there, but for the money, it does all that I need it to do with no chest strap.

A lot of the times its just because the machine picks up the readings from the monitor you are wearing. I have a polar rs400 (which uses a chest strap but i still love) and the treadmills always pick up my reading. Polar's seem to be the Ferrari of heart rate monitors. Personally I don't trust anything other than HR monitors that use straps.

I don't believe that are any easy alternatives to the chest strap HRMs. Chest strap is the norm. Yes, it's annoying the first few times you wear it, but eventually you get used to it and it ends up being a crucial training aid if you teach yourself to train in your correct HR zones. I wear mine on every run (and on the rare occasions that I bike).

As far as brands go: Garmin, Polar or Suunto. Take your pick they all work great.

One downside to the straps: They are susceptible to static from flapping synthetic fabric, (e.g. all bike jerseys). My Garmin has the problem (and even mentions it in the docs), and my biker friend also sees the problem on a different brand of HR. He even called them to complain, and they gave the same explanation as Garmin. Any time I do a fast descent, and don't have a windbreaker over my jersey, I'm not surprised to see the HR go up into the 200's.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I dont think you have a choice other than the fingers on the sensors type. Mine has the chest strap and all sorts of cool stuff like GPS and elevation .. stuff I barely can figure out. But its COOL. I got used to the chest strap.

One of my friends has one that is a brand called MIO. She has to use her fingers on the sensors, but she likes it and says it works fine.

Just let me know anytime you need help putting that strap around your chest! ;)
Skymama stalker #69!!!!

that's what I have... but I too don't feel the need to add the capability at the moment... maybe someday... but I doubt I'll ever feel as though I'm good enough to need it.

Bunch of fancy pants... now I have Edge envy with my little 305....
Remster

Bunch of fancy pants... now I have Edge envy with my little 305....

I still have my 305; Haven't gotten off my lazy ass to put it on eBay.

Just this past week I finally figured out how to create GPX route files that I can load in so it will do turn-by-turn navigation based on them. Damn Garmin doc doesn't even cover it. When you plug a 605/705 into the computer, the internal memory shows up as an ordinary USB drive. Then you can move files in/out w/o special sw. If you have an SD card in it, (eg the optional "City Navigator"), that shows up as second USB drive.

The battery life improvement is HUGE. I did 13 hours last Sunday. When I plugged in the charger, it still showed 1/3 battery capacity..

You're funny! ;) I seriously doubt my little Mio watch is transmitting data to the big Life Cycle machine, but a lot of those machines are actually made to work with your "ferraris". I've actually gotten pretty good at "guessing" my heart rate when I am working out, on or off the machine, and with or without the Mio. I can feel when I'm in my target range and I can feel when my HR is getting too high and I need to slow it down, but the watch is a nice tool all the same. And for what I am using it for, it is plenty accurate. Call it the garden variety dytter of heart rate monitors as opposed to the protrack. It does what its supposed to do, and doesn't claim to do much more. Then again, you probably have never even seen a dytter!:P Kids! :D

I have a Polar F11 and love it. Granted it is a fitness watch but it is fantastic. I have no problems with the chest strap once I got it adjusted correctly.

Finding a good watch with all the features is going to be a very important training tool, most of the ones that are going to help her train will have a chest strap.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Just let me know anytime you need help putting that strap around your chest! ;)

I knew I should have said "telemetry" instead of "chest". Thanks but I think I can handle it. :P
But if you're interested in Boobies, click on the link below. ;)

If I'm made to run, you're getting tackled.:D

Well, you *are* Officer Tackleberry, ya know!!! :D

I was gonna say that but it was too easy. :D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban