guppie01

"Clear" Airport Security Pass

didn't Peter mention having one?

I don't know.... shame on me I didn't search before posting - Good lord, I hope Lou doesn't come after me with his buttons!

I currently have a TSA issued security card, but not for airports - I haven't been able to get anyone within TSA to confirm if I can use for airport security. I'd love to be able to use that vs having to spend an additional $130 on a Clear card.

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

What else would TSA issue a ard for other than the airport ?[:/]

Access to US Ports (all part of homeland security).

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

When I was told I might have to fly a lot this year I looked at one and their list of airports is only 20-22 long and none I was going to be going through. Chicago is not on the list and it is the biggest headache there is. I'd look closely at the list before putting the money down on it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have one.
Orlando alone makes it worth owning (for me). SLC, it makes *almost* no difference, saves maybe 3-5 mins, tops.
SFO...worth it too.
SJC...not worth it.
Denver...worth it for one flight, but usually Denver is fast.
ATL....ABSO-F'inLUTELY worth it. Worst airport for lines I go to. Even LGA is faster, but Clear is marginally worth it there.

All that said...I have received 3 notices from FlyClear that they've had information stolen, compromised, etc. I've gotten more spam from them in a month than anyone else.
Is it worth the cost *to me?* Yes. The 100.00 cost (plus 30.00 set up fee) is worth the cumulative 5-10 mins it always saves me, and well worth the 45 mins it saves me when I'm not flying on Delta or Northwest (airlines I have credentials with).
Nice to not have to talk to the TSA folks at all, they're marginal morons (usually) at best, where the Clear people at least are "normal." They aren't cops, can't stop you from doing anything, don't seem to have a misplaced sense of "authority" and are generally congenial instead of paranoid.
Yesterday in MCO, a TSA agent stopped me just as I was entering the Clear lane and demanded that I open up my fishing rod case (which holds Panfish rods for windblades) and wanted to know "why do you have fishing poles without guides?"
Told her to bring over her supervisor's supervisor to explain to me why I was being delayed outside of any security area, security lane, and I'd happily explain. The woman from Clear walked up and asked if there was a problem, and the woman from TSA vanished. So....I'm a happy Clear member, but also see that they have some issues that need to be worked out.

yeah, I have two of those, too. Neither carries any weight with the TSA (did I mention they gave my US passport to a stranger "by accident?") in today's world.
Clear has my biometric data, that requires my index finger on pass, and if that isn't 100% clear, they require an iris scan before I get to go into the "secure" zone.

At the risk of this ending up in SC...Security is big business...supported by government terrorism. Get used to it. You now get to pay to enjoy the freedom that you once had. "Terrorism Tax" is what I'd call Clear, on top of the new airport security fees that every user of the airport gets to pay. All that said, I can bitch and whine, but it doesn't get me through the airport faster.
What I find truly hilarious is that I'm a TSA yellow-flagged traveler which means I usually get an "SSSS" on my ticket. Clear bypasses ALL of that shit, which alone makes it worth my time.
In other words, TSA designates me a threat and has done so for 3 years plus. Having a CLEAR card allows me to bypass the added hassle of being a "Special Specimen of Security Stupidity."

Not that it matters as I don't fly very often but the Hyatt rewards program http://www.goldpassport.com has or had a promotion earlier this year that you could get a "free" 1 year clear membership with only 2 stays (not nights).

I signed up for the reward program, then the clear membership but I have not flown anywhere to get the other half of my enrollment completed. It's a waste of time and money.

Anyone out there with experience using the Clear pass??? Curious if it's worth the money???

g

Oh, it's great. It's a mark that you wear on your forehead or right hand. And it has a number on it, 666 or something.

You should get one now, soon everyone will have one!:)
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

>and well worth the 45 mins it saves me>

Is that what it's up to?

I fly out of MCO Labor Day. [:/]

here is my Clear card. The back has the numbers on it. It's a transparent card that is supposed to be kept in a tyvek sleeve to protect the chip.
Put it in the security kiosk, put your index finger on the pad, it reads/confirms, you pass. So far, never had to wait in any line, anywhere in 11 uses of the card.
MCO on Labor day? 45 mins would prolly be very fast, I'd think. Take a paperback.

>and well worth the 45 mins it saves me>

Is that what it's up to?

I fly out of MCO Labor Day. [:/]

here is my Clear card. The back has the numbers on it. It's a transparent card that is supposed to be kept in a tyvek sleeve to protect the chip.
Put it in the security kiosk, put your index finger on the pad, it reads/confirms, you pass. So far, never had to wait in any line, anywhere in 11 uses of the card.
MCO on Labor day? 45 mins would prolly be very fast, I'd think. Take a paperback.

Looks exactly like the chip thats been in Military ID cards for several years now.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have a card too, and love the benefits. I have credentials on American, so don't need it there, but when I fly other airlines, having it is great. I show up a half hour before my flight, walk right through, and straight on the airplane.

What I do not understand is why they need your biometrics. I would understand if you got special rights, or bypassed some form of security, but you go through the same thing as everyone else. Not like you can take a bottle of water through, or don't take your laptop out of your bag...all this buys you is getting to the front of the line. I don't understand why biometrics are necessary for that...just seems like you're buying the front of the line.

It's nice that they help you get your stuff together to go through the xray, but I don't like how they put you RIGHT at the front and push people out of the way, it kind of pisses people off. I get over that, though. :) After all, it's available to everyone who is willing to pay the price.

-S

What else would TSA issue a ard for other than the airport ?[:/]

Access to US Ports (all part of homeland security).

g

And these fast-track people through security because... terrorists will never be able to counterfeit them? :S

How's it work? What's to say that they won't become worthless if/when someone figures a way to make fakes?
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

Wouldn't it be great if the dipshit assholes out there didn't think the farcical "security" at our airports is more important than common sense? Cool, now we can piss away money on new IDs than can still be forged, stopping only the mentally handicapped terrorists…

Please refrain from making Political comments in the BF. Political comments are reserved for SC only.

EDIT: to remove political comments and keep this thread in the BF.
cavete terrae.

I think this is part of the misunderstanding...it doesn't fast track you through security, it only fast tracks you through the security line. No difference in security procedures, and therefore no benefit, in my mind, to potential terrorists.

-S