moodyskydiver

Best series/collection of books?

Robert Jordan "the eye of the world" was a good "listen" - the charachters were well described and the POV switched a few times, keeping it interesting and suspenseful. Very little down time where there was not at least a little imagination catalyst.

I am now searching for the rest of the series.

ALSO: Eragon, by Christopher Paolini, the second book - Eldest. Currently I am waiting until September when the third book in the (once it was a trillogy) tetralogy is expected to be released.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Chronicles of Narnia-I buy a box set for nearly every child I know.

Bullshit. I don't see my girl's set anywhere... >:(;)

Oh, you said "nearly"... what, she not special enough?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Will boxed sets fit in the trailer?:o
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

I have a basement, attic, 2 car garage, 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, etc... who said I live in a trailer? :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have a basement, attic, 2 car garage, 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, etc... who said I live in a trailer? :|

Just seemed logical.:|

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

the twelfth book will be published next year endng the series - but yes - it won't be jordan's work at the end.

if you like historical fiction.

Not local historical fiction, but...
Frederick Forsythe The Afghan

The first pages give a lot of historical detail that is interesting and weaves into the story later.

I worked with a guy from Pakistan and he confirmed the historical parts as accurate.

The mention of historical fiction has made me think of the Alexander series by Valerio Massimo Manfredi. Some of his other books have been a bit hit and miss, but the Alexander series is spellbinding all the way through. Must be the great source material.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Admitting to a hardcore sci-fi fascination, I like most anything by Greg Bear, particularly the EON series and Darwin's Radio.

Also, Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars series is pretty cool. Pretty hardcore sci-fi again, revolving around terraforming Mars, but some remarkable observations on human behavior and politics, too.

There are a lot of history books on my shelves, particularly biographies of various folk in leadership positions, ie- Chruchhill, Lincoln, etc.

Heck. I just like to read.

will second the Dune series (original) and add

Gene Wolfe "Book of the New Sun" Series and the completion "Urth of the New Sun"

also Susan Cooper's "Dark is Rising Series" (recently a movie no idea how good it was) is excellent and far less preaching than CS Lewis.

on the light comedy side

Tim Dorsey's 'Serge' (character dont think the series has an official name or i dont know it) Orange Crush, Cadillac Beach and Triggerfish Twist are a few off the top of my head) books are amazingly funny.

on the light comedy side

Tim Dorsey's 'Serge' (character dont think the series has an official name or i dont know it) Orange Crush, Cadillac Beach and Triggerfish Twist are a few off the top of my head) books are amazingly funny.

Carl Hiaasen's books are of a similar flavor and also very funny. Reading these two author's books make me wonder why anyone would travel to Florida.
It's a gift, I don't try to explain it.

Also Nordhoff & Hall's "Bounty" trilogy.

Mutiny On the Bounty is the story of the actual mutiny, ending with some of the mutineers hanged back in England, while others find permanent exile on Pitcairn Island.

The Open Boat is the story of how Captain Bligh led the loyal faction of his crew on an open boat journey of over 1200 miles, after being set adrift to die in the middle of the South Pacific. Inspite of extreme privation and encounters with cannibals, Bligh and his men made it with the loss of only one life.

And finally Pitcairn Island tells the story of the mutineers who settled on the island. But they didn't bring as many women as men and soon racial frictions between the English and Tahitian men turned the island into a deadly civil war among themselves.

All based on the facts of a true story.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

No problem.My hubby is determined to make me a Heinlein fan yet lol.I just finished Stranger in a Strange Land (I didnt "fully grok" it but it was good lol) and I'm now reading Time Enough for Love.I'm hoping he'll let me borrow A Veritable Star once he finishes it.The story sounds great from what little hes told me about it.Thanks LD!:)

"Time Enough for Love" is one of my favorite books, but I think it's the only Heinlein book I've ever read. I have "Stranger in a Strange Land," and I'll occasionally pick it up and try to read it, but I just can't seem to get into it. I should probably check out some of his other books though.

I read "Stranger in a Strange Land" after years of knowing it was out there and not having any idea what it was about. It took me a while to trudge through it, but I really really liked it a lot. It was cool how he dealt with the idea that anyone can become, essentially, god-like.

You just have to be able to think in Martian, first. ;)

Some book series that I am fond of:

The Alvin Maker series of books by Orson Scott Card (begins with "Seventh Son") Beautifully written book.

The Earthsea series of books by Ursula K. Leguin (begins with "A Wizard of Earthsea." Read it and learn where Rowling ripped off her story from.) These books, especially the first, are like poetry in prose, the writing is so beautiful.

The Travis McGee serials by John D. McDonald ("...the great entertainer of our age, and a mesmerizing storyteller" - Stephen King; "...my favorite novelist of all time." - Dean Koontz; "...the consummate pro, a master storyteller and witty observer." - Jonathan Kellerman)

Travis McGee is a lot like Spenser. Tough-as-nails, good with women, hot on the trail of the bad-guys. But McGee lives on a houseboat in Bahia Mar in Fort Lauderdale, FL. He lives on what he earns, and then goes back to work when the money gets low.

Awesome storytelling. Yes, the novels are short, quick reads, and are like mind-candy, but at the same time, they manage to be literature!...
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

Hiassen is a gas to read, I picked up his latest 'Nature Girl' at the airport and read half on the plane ride. Not really a series but there are a few recurring characters across them.

Asimov was mentioned a few times, but no one listed his Robot stories and novels that were the basis for the Will Smith movie I Robot.

I liked Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove series especially Dead Mans Walk and Comanche Moon

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

Hiassen is a gas to read, I picked up his latest 'Nature Girl' at the airport and read half on the plane ride. Not really a series but there are a few recurring characters across them.

I just started reading Flush. It, like Hoot, is a childrens book. Actually it's more young adult. Same writing style and humor just teenagers against crooked adults for a story line.
It's a gift, I don't try to explain it.

I read "Stranger in a Strange Land" after years of knowing it was out there and not having any idea what it was about. It took me a while to trudge through it, ...

Really, you do realise Heinleins' books are fundamentally kids books:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?