Andy_Copland

Tripe

Am i the only one alive who goes out his way to eat this stuff?

Always had it as a kid and it just seems people either think its disgusting or have no idea what it is :S

I know exactly what it is and yes you are indeed the ont git i know who goes out of their way to eat it.:D:D:D
Do you have it with white sauce?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

There's only two organ meats that I like to eat.... liver n' onions is one.... intestines are not number two. :P;)

do you like sweet meats:)
oh and tripe is Stomach number one, not intestine ;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

pata y pansa!!!

loosely traslated it means feet and belly a typical cuban dish my mom makes a pretty good one. my sister, my brother and myself used to call it beehive because it looks like wasp nests in the pot.

:D

i don't go out of my way, but I fuck with it.

edited to add incase of any confusion,

the dish is a type of stew made with pig feet and tripe.(white sauce)

if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

Always had it as a kid and it just seems people either think its disgusting or have no idea what it is :S

Tripe is pretty good in menudo and pho, although tendon might be my favorite non-steak pho beef part.

It is getting to be the season for a crock pot filled with tripe, hominy, and tasty red broth. Mmmm.

Stomache of a ruminant animal B|, heaven help, what are we eating B| ...

You're not alone with your special taste: My parents and siblings love it; thanks God I'm a vegetarian and just kill vegetables.

:)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Wouldn't that mean that if YOU are eagerly eating it (as opposed to being disgusted by it) then you don't know what it is? :D

I have always known what it is, ever since I listened to an old Bill Cosby record where he describes foods his mother loved, like chit'lins, and how grossed-out he was.

I have seen tripe in the supemarket since I was a kid, and I have to say that I would not want to try it. I can't imagine it being anything but gross. But I also know that it's much harder to develop an acquired taste for something later in life than it is to just start liking something because you were given it at a young age.

Sometimes I wonder if Pepsi Cola would taste as delicious to me if I had never had a carbonated soda like it until I was an adult. My guess is, no. But that's air through the engine by now. If I have one addiction, it's Pepsi.

Now, how about liver? Or kidney? I saw these bigass beef kidneys at the store today. Grossed me out. I just kept thinking of that steak and kidney pie I once tried to eat, and how it tasted like urine. Man, COW PISS runs through that shit! How can anyone eat that?! Ever watched (or smelled) a cow piss?! If one can eat kidney, then I guess not.

One "weird" cut from the cow that I LOVE, however, is "skirt steak." I didn't used to know what it was, but then I started shopping at a grocery store (Publix, in Florida) that calls it "beef skirt steak (diaphragm)." So I guess it's the muscle of the cow's diaphragm. OMG it's so tasty!! It's a great steak to do medium rare inside and crispy outside...
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

pata y pansa!!!

loosely traslated it means feet and belly a typical cuban dish my mom makes a pretty good one. my sister, my brother and myself used to call it beehive because it looks like wasp nests in the pot.

:D

i don't go out of my way, but I fuck with it.

edited to add incase of any confusion,

the dish is a type of stew made with pig feet and tripe.(white sauce)

You know, on the one hand, I cannot stomach that kind of food because I didn't grow up with it, culturally. But on the other hand, I have a lot of respect for cultures that make sure to not be wasting parts of the animal that could be used. There's really no reason for a stigma for some of the parts that people just avoid by second nature (at least here in the U.S.). Stigma is just someone's arbitrary decision made into popular opinion.
Imaginations on fire

Can't eat tripe. I ate chitlin's once, though. They tasted like boiled shit. Can't eat chorizo, either. It tastes good, but the ingredients listed are "salivary glands, lymph nodes and cheek."

Oh, fuck no! I'm so glad I never let my curiosity get the better of me, then. I see chorizo all the time here in stores in Florida. It doesn't look abhorrent; but now I know that it is. Are you sure about those ingredients? Does all chorizo have that shit in it?

I have a food reference dictionary here, called "The Barron's Food Lover's Companion". For "chitlins" (chitterlings), it lists the following:

Popular in American Southern cooking, chitterlings are the small intestines of freshly slaughtered pigs. The word itself comes from the Middle English chiterling, a derivative of the Old English cieter ("intestines"). And, although properly called "chitterlings," the more common usage is chitlins, the casual version of which is chitts; slang terms include Kentucky oysters or wrinkled steak. (Oh, I love that last one!) Chitlins must be thoroughly cleaned in order to remove all fecal matter and bacteria. This labor-intensive process, which requires turning the intestines inside out, can take hours. Once cleaned, chitterlings must be simmered until tender (2 to 3 hours), a process that emits a detestable stench. They can then be broiled, barbecued, added to soups, battered and fried or used as a sausage casing. Chitlins have a chewy texture and an extremely high fat content (24 grams per 3-ounce serving).

NO, FUGGAN THANK YOU!! :S
Imaginations on fire

i got to eat tripe as a kid, but at home it was made with tomato-, or brown sauce. i dont like its texture..

we were also made to eat liver which i never liked as a kid, but nowadays, i LOVE a good liver, with rösti (the yanks would probably call it hash-brown) and onion-sauce.. takes hardly a minute to cook, so its still kinda raw inside.. yummy! :)
another thing i never liked as a kid was pig-feet. still dont, too much fat on it..

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. The last time I checked, the chorizo I buy in the store did not contain those ingrediants. I'm not sure where pyrodude gets his though.

But, keep in mind that pretty much any ground sausage you buy will contain some icky stuff as "filler". I'll eat chorizo because its yummy. Hot dogs on the other hand?????

I generally try to avoid eating anything that spent its life marinating in piss or poop. Tripe may technically come from a "pre-poop" location, but the fact remains that it's marinated in stuff that's in the process of becoming poop.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

but the fact remains that it's marinated in stuff that's in the process of becoming poop.

Blues,
Dave

So is everything you put in your mouth:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Words to live by!

Although I know several people who swear menudo is the ulitmate hangover cure and of course, tripe is one of the main ingrediants! I won't eat it no matter how bad I feel, but I've had to pick some up for my ailing boyfriend in the past.

You and my mother...:S Although she takes utmost care in preparing it (washes it in a neutral detergent (!) first, than rinsing it with clean water and adding raw onions at least a dozen times thereafter) I still wouldn't eat the stuff. I tried a little piece once and it felt like I was chewing on a piece of terry-cloth.:S
I must say though I used to enjoy a hungarian-style stew made entirely of pigs' feet. I loved the sticky quality caused by all the gelatin cooking out of them. I couldn't eat it now, I would probably get deathly ill...B|

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."