kirrz

How much can a harness be re-sized?

I have done tons of research and am looking through used gear.. and the biggest problem is that all the rigs I have found that will fit the canopy sizes I want (210+ main, 170+ reserve) have been built for big guys (5'10'' +).

I am only 5'4'', 131ish lbs..

I was wondering if it is possible for a master rigger to re-size a harness that much? If not, how much can a harness be re-sized? What are the costs like? What potential problems will I face if I took this route?

I'm on a tight budget & will not be able to afford a new container.. so I figured if I bought something relatively cheap and paid for it to be re-sized, I am still saving heaps!

Thanks!

210 seems a bit large for a person in your weight range. More than likely something in the 170 range would be a closer match.

Your profile shows that you have 2 jumps. If that's correct you may wish to continue your search for a while longer.

5'4" is a pretty common size so it shouldn't be difficult to find a used rig that's more suitable.

Good luck
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

The harness on my second rig (which I bought from its 3rd owner), was too big for me. It was sized for a 6'-0" guy and I'm 5'-6". The main lift webbing just needed shortening, and my master rigger simply cut out a length of the main lift webbings between the leg strap attachments and the bottom of the reserve handle insert, and then it fit perfectly. He only charged me $30 for that.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

no extra charge for the duct tape he used to do the mod??;)

edited to add: on a more serious note....please dont even consider buying your own gear untill you have more jumps under your belt...there are many many different factors to consider...as I am sure you will come to discover as you research and learn 1st hand....take your time......shop smart.......shop savemart ;)

Parachutes Australia can do all the resizing, and its not too expensive. $90 to have some of the webbing shortened on mine.

But a 210????? You'd be on 240's atm at Picton. Seriously a 170 will be 0.7 to 0.8 wing loading and a 150 is 0.9 wing loading. Wait until you start your B-Rels before looking at canopy size. You will probably find you will do a lot of B-rels with the same instructor and they will get a feel for how you fly and can recommend a good canopy size.

You need to include the weight of the gear, clothing, etc...

131ish pounds plus 25ish pounds would put the wingload under a 170 would be right around .9 to 1.

Other than that, your suggestion is right on the mark.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

The reason for such a big canopy size is that I am interested in being prepared for base. My focus is going to be accuracy. I am going to be in the US for a while late next year and would like to take a FJC there as the terrain in Australia is supposed to be really hard for a beginner to start from. So I guess my aim is to be ready to take the course with adequate preparation by that time.

This is not at the expense of skydiving though, I figure that accuracy skills will no doubt help me with skydiving. Then when I return from the US, I'll be able to get a base specific rig and then downsize this one and get into the non-base related skydiving disciplines.

But who knows, I might chicken out. I would just like to have gear that would suit all my needs.

I know my jump numbers are ridiculously low to even be bringing gear questions up but I am seriously reading, reading, reading - books, reviews, old threads, manufacturer's manuals.. I am just throwing questions I have around..

Not if shes looking at accuracy from the BASE side. This is a topic thats covered pretty well in the BASE fourm already.

Is a harness resize worth it? Possibly if you want a size combo like what you've posted on a smaller body frame.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If I remember right, Sun Path made a new harness for our packer's rig for about $350. That may have also included a new flap or two.

Personally, I would want the mfg to do it. You would probably not save much money.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I have done tons of research and am looking through used gear.. and the biggest problem is that all the rigs I have found that will fit the canopy sizes I want (210+ main, 170+ reserve) have been built for big guys (5'10'' +).

I am only 5'4'', 131ish lbs..

I was wondering if it is possible for a master rigger to re-size a harness that much? If not, how much can a harness be re-sized? What are the costs like? What potential problems will I face if I took this route?

I'm on a tight budget & will not be able to afford a new container.. so I figured if I bought something relatively cheap and paid for it to be re-sized, I am still saving heaps!

Thanks!

To shorten the MLW on a Javelin with rings is $120.00. Change laterals is $120.00. To replace is $300.00
Keep in mind that the "yoke" O,A, B, C, D is built in the container, NOT the harness.
Most women will either be an A, or a B yoke. So if your rig is say a C 18 then you cannot change the C, you may only change the length of the MLW.

To guess your size with only the measurements you listed I would say you are an A14 or maybe even an O13. Yes the O is a smaller yoke that the A.

hope that helps

J...put on your "J the skydiver" hat and tell me...I have concerns about anyone other than the manufacturer doing mods on MLWs...I mean if that breaks loose, you got nothing!

I guess my real questions is how safe is it really to modify MLWs. Personally, I would much rather spend the bucks for one that fits rather than buy and modify one that doesn't.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

J...put on your "J the skydiver" hat and tell me...I have concerns about anyone other than the manufacturer doing mods on MLWs...I mean if that breaks loose, you got nothing!

I guess my real questions is how safe is it really to modify MLWs. Personally, I would much rather spend the bucks for one that fits rather than buy and modify one that doesn't.

You should endevour to learn more about your equipment and how it is built, what it is built from and and how it transmits loads under dynamic forces. When you are fully aware of the overbuilding and redundency involved you will feel much more comfortable with the tools of your sport. That thing you wear on your back is not some black hole of mysterious juju, it's the end product of many years of r/d, trial/error and sound engineering. Replacing MLW's or any other part of the system can be and is done every day without catastrophic results.

Mick.

Mick is correct, its really not that "big of a deal". There are many qualified riggers that can do it.
On a personal level, yes, I would send it back to the mfr.
It also gives them a chance to inspect the rig, and I think that is good for the customer and the mfr.

good day.

J, that's a great price for resizing. Got a rig that can hold a 113, 92, and a surf board too?hehehe

Yes we can build you a rig for those canopies. No surfboard, but I can supply you with a bucket of salt water forced down your throat..cough cough...;) still trying to get all that salt out:S:S
crazy man

Ok I'll bite, what is smart ass and what is asshole about my post?

I showed you already. You don't see it? I'm asking, trying to learn, and you hammer me for it? Thanks...I deleted my original response to you.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Would it help if your local Master Rigger had five years experience working in parachute factories and re-sized or repaired Talon harnesses every week during the three years he worked at the Talon factory?

> have concerns about anyone other than the manufacturer doing mods on MLWs . . .

Well, keep in mind that it is the skill of the person doing the mods, rather than the name of the company, that you're relying on. For example, who would you rather have modify a Reflex - the guy who designed it, or the manufacturer that currently owns the TSO and makes spare parts for it? They are not one and the same.