shropshire

Pink Floyds Rick Wright is just an echo..

What a shame. All of the great ones are slowly checking out, one by one. Never imagined we'd get to be this old.

You encapsulated a feeling that's been creeping on me for a couple years now...true words indeed.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

This is incredibly sad. I found out through this thread late Monday afternoon. I left the house only a few minutes afterward to an appointment about half an hour away. On the way there I listened to "The Great Gig in the Sky" and "Echoes." The spoken part in "Gig" haunted me a little . . . I put it in my sig line for a short time to pay my respect as a fan.

I really became a Pink Floyd fan in college . . . I wrote the lyrics to "Wish You Were Here" on at least one desk in every classroom I sat in. My roommate had every album from Ummagumma to The Wall so I was able to delve into their music very easily.

When the conversation about best rock and roll keyboardists of all time comes up, Rick Wright is always very high on my list. He was an incredibly talented individual.

Tuesday afternoon I was home taking some time off. VH1 Classic showed the "Dark Side of the Moon" Classic Albums episode which I had not seen. It was outstanding! I would really like to get my hands on that video . . .

So I can contribute to his death contributing to the greater musical good, I will pry open my own Floyd collection this week and maybe even add an album or two.
Arrive Safely

John

It's really sad. [:/]

For years, I have been wondering about a possible Pink Floyd reunion, and a possible world tour.... It was looking good, after their last reunion onstage. :)
Rick was a very good keyboard player. Too bad Roger Waters and he couldn't get along... [:/] It reminds me of Peter Gabriel and Genesis. [:/]

Yves.

I was lucky enough to see the group live twice. First in 1974 touring Dark Side. They played Wish You Were Here as the opening set, took a break, then did Dark Side with the full stage production, & for an encore played Echoes for about 40 minutes. Second time was the final night of The Wall tour in 1980. Both shows I saw at the Nassau Coliseum on Long Island.

RIP Richard. Your influence will be felt for generations!
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

B|

The first ever concert that I went to was their Dark Side of the Moon tour (at Trentham Gardens, Stoke (U.K) in 1974) and I've been a fan ever since.

Their music is based on real musicianship and so endures with a timeless quality that is simply not found in popular, disposable pap that is played daily on our radios.

Musicians like these have left a masive legacy and have added so much to the worlds cultrural treasures, for the rest of us to share and enjoy for years to come.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

My first was April 14, 1972 - Fort Homer Hesterly Armory, Tampa, Florida
$5

Life-changing moment for me.

Other concerts attended (I had to google to get the exact dates):
May 21, 1972 - Insel Grun, Germersheim, West Germany (2nd British Rock Meeting Open Air Fesitval).

November 16, 1972 - Festhalle, Frankfurt, West Germany

November 17, 1972 - Festhalle, Frankfurt, West Germany

June 29, 1973 - Tampa Stadium, Tampa, Florida

June 7, 1975 - Atlanta Stadium, Atlanta, Georgia

April 24, 1977 - Tampa Stadium, Tampa, Florida
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

From the Fender website:

No one can replace Richard Wright. He was my musical partner and my friend.

In the welter of arguments about who or what was Pink Floyd, Rick's enormous input was frequently forgotten. He was gentle, unassuming and private but his soulful voice and playing were vital, magical components of our most recognised Pink Floyd sound. I have never played with anyone quite like him. The blend of his and my voices and our musical telepathy reached their first major flowering in 1971 on "Echoes". In my view all the greatest PF moments are the ones where he is in full flow. After all, without "Us and Them" and "The Great Gig In The Sky", both of which he wrote, what would "The Dark Side Of The Moon" have been? Without his quiet touch the Album "Wish You Were Here" would not quite have worked. In our middle years, for many reasons he lost his way for a while, but in the early Nineties, with "The Division Bell", his vitality, spark and humour returned to him and then the audience reaction to his appearances on my tour in 2006 was hugely uplifting and it's a mark of his modesty that those standing ovations came as a huge surprise to him, (though not to the rest of us).

Like Rick, I don't find it easy to express my feelings in words, but I loved him and will miss him enormously.

David Gilmour
Monday 15th September 2008

Arrive Safely

John