Tuna-Salad

What the Fuck? / Texting in a bar

I hate texting. I have 4 teens that think John and I are the meanest parents in the world because we BLOCKED texting from our phone plan. No texting in or out. I can't think of one good reason why my teens need to have texting on their phones. Texting while driving, texting while in class etc. ..........

I can't think of why anyone needs texting. It's just stupid. [:/]

You guys are hereby nominated as "Parents of the Year"! :)
Yeah!

THANK YOU! You have no idea how much I needed to hear that. It's a tough job. [:/]

Why the fuck do people go pay $2.50 for a beer to sit at the bar and send text messages? WTF did people do before cell phones? I go to a party with a co-worker and everyone is on their damn cell phones sending texts.. seriously.. what the fuck...

what the fuck? why the fuck should you care what anyone else does at a bar if it isn't harming you?

a lot of people also bitch about other people talking on cell phones all the time in many places. Now a lot of talkers have switched to a non-intrusive way to get their fix.

why do people bitch about things that have zero effect on their lives? ...what the fuck?
Owned by Remi #?

it does affect me when some chode 10 feet away from me could just tell me what they are texting instead of running up my phone bill and sending me retarded pictures...

yeah what the fuck.. let me send you a bunch of meaningless messages and see if it it affects you.

what the hell.. since its no big deal.. post your number here and we will all text you at the same time.
Sure someone texting while driving thru a congested intersection doesnt affect me until thier sorry ass buries the front of their car in my drivers door.
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

it does affect me when some chode 10 feet away from me could just tell me what they are texting instead of running up my phone bill and sending me retarded pictures...

Sounds like you give your number to chodes who don't respect your wishes. Quit giving them your number.

yeah what the fuck.. let me send you a bunch of meaningless messages and see if it it affects you.

I have unlimited texting on a phone provided by my employer. Wouldn't do anything but clog up my phone. I don't give my number to chodes.

Sure someone texting while driving thru a congested intersection doesnt affect me until thier sorry ass buries the front of their car in my drivers door.

You posted about people texting in bars, not cars.
Owned by Remi #?

You posted about people texting in bars, not cars.

And not once did he say they were texting HIM in the same room:ph34r:
Why not just tell them to stop it and if the image is so good just show it to me on your phone.

However i have quietly text my wife in the same room :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I think texting and email is *more* convenient.

It says "Heres something I have to say that you can read or respond to when it's convenient for you"

instead of

"halt what you are doing at this moment in time because I want to talk now".

I will call you if it's long winded, or urgent, or if I just want to BS...

If I have to ask you a quick, non-important, non-urgent question... I will text you so that you can read it and respond whenever you have time.

It was a whopping $10 to add unlimited texting to my plan, and the money came from reducing my monthly allowed minutes. I would way rather receive a text from you telling me what you would record in a voicemail message that I have to take the time to play and delete and burn minutes to hear.

Text also eliminates the problem of annoying myself and others around me with conversations consisting of "What?! What?! I can't hear you? You're breaking up. It's too loud here. Hello? I'm at XYZ place can I call you back?"

but to each their own...
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

Let's say for instance, your in a crowded bar. Lots and lots of noise. Your trying to locate your friend that's also in the bar (it's a huge placeB|). Can't hear shit cause of noise. Alas, a text from your friend that gives exact location....... case solved.

If you can't hear the phone call how can you hear the text message alert?

Edited because I forgot about the vibrator mode. :P
Always be kinder than you feel.

Let's say for instance, your in a crowded bar. Lots and lots of noise. Your trying to locate your friend that's also in the bar (it's a huge placeB|). Can't hear shit cause of noise. Alas, a text from your friend that gives exact location....... case solved.

If you can't hear the phone call how can you hear the text message alert?

Edited because I forgot about the vibrator mode. :P

Ahaaaa! :P:P:P What's that they say, something about old dogs and new tricks!!:P Oh, btw I'm 44!B|B|B|

I hate texting. I have 4 teens that think John and I are the meanest parents in the world because we BLOCKED texting from our phone plan. No texting in or out. I can't think of one good reason why my teens need to have texting on their phones. Texting while driving, texting while in class etc. ..........

I can't think of why anyone needs texting. It's just stupid. [:/]

You guys are hereby nominated as "Parents of the Year"! :)
Yeah!

THANK YOU! You have no idea how much I needed to hear that. It's a tough job. [:/]

Which is why we leave it to the good people like you and John. :)

I don't understand the whole texting thing either. Then again, I only turn on my cell phone when *I* want to. If I've told a friend to call me on it, I'll turn it on. Otherwise, it's there for my convenience, not their convenience. I'm not THAT important that it needs to be on 24/7.
'Shell

I despise text messaging, however I have found out after the last few big storms I went through that texts often get through when phone calls will not. With Red Cross after Katrina we actually upgraded the service on the staff phones to allow texting because phone calls were so hard to get through. I had two week long relationships w/ people at other recovery sites that I never spoke to in person, and it actually worked pretty well, all things considered.

Same thing after Ike. In the day or so before and immediately after phones were jammed. Texts got through about 90% of the time though. I was able to communicate w/ co-workers that got hit hard and arrange for generators and supplies w/out them being able to get a phone call out from their area.

I no longer think texting should be removed from existence, though stupid people will still pay. During my first ER clinical as an EMT student last week I worked on a 16 year old girl who was ejected through the windshield of her car after running head-on into someone while not wearing her seat belt. They found her phone with a half written text message on it. :S:S:S

That said, I will deny until I am blue in the face to any of my text fiend friends that I have even a clue how to work a text message.

Killing threads since 2004.

During my first ER clinical as an EMT student last week I worked on a 16 year old girl who was ejected through the windshield of her car after running head-on into someone while not wearing her seat belt. They found her phone with a half written text message on it. :S:S:S

See this is exactly why I had texting removed totally from our phone service. [:/] The first time I saw my daughter when she was 16 texting with one hand and driving with the other is the day I put an end to it all. Kids think they are so smart and they can do anything and nothing will happen to them or the poor people they hit. I even see adults driving and texting so it's not just a kid thing.

Although I totally am glad that texting worked for you in your work situation with the Red Cross, I don't see the uses for it in any other situation. It's just not necessary and it's a nuisance and irritating and in some situations very dangerous.

Although I totally am glad that texting worked for you in your work situation with the Red Cross, I don't see the uses for it in any other situation. It's just not necessary and it's a nuisance and irritating and in some situations very dangerous.

You are rock solid in your opinion about what your kids should or should not do. Your positive and proactive atitude is wonderful WRT teaching kids how to behave is great but IMO but it doesn't have anything to do with the OP.

Your kids aren't sitting in bars paying 2.50 for a beer while they text away on their phones, right?

I agree that being distracted by a phone is bad while driving. But that has nothing at all to do with the OP complaining about texting in a bar. You're bringing a straw man to the bonfire, dear.
Owned by Remi #?

Whoa... hold on there... before you go on a rant, oh well you already did... :P

Try finding out if those guys texting in a bar are fucking deaf. If they are, that's the only way they communicate with others not around them. Yeah, it's a dumb place to be, texting in a bar, come on. If I'm going to a bar to drink, I'm going with friends and checking out the women. Now if one comes up to me and tries to talk, I just say I'm fucking deaf, and would you mind texting it to me? If she looks at me funny, well then fuck off, she's not worth it.

But hell, I'm married, and I don't go to bars anymore, and I don't want to. I'll just drink at the DZ. :P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

People who hate texting should get with the times. It's a great "in-between" way to send/receive a quick message when a phone call just isn't possible, or is much less convenient (either for the sender or recipient). In particular, texting between me/wife and our 2 teen kids has been absolutely invaluable.

But texting needs to have safety & courtesy protocols. Absolutely no reading/sending text while driving, or sending a text to someone who you know is driving (Kid to Dad: "R u almost here yet?"). And if you're riding in my car or at my restaurant table and we're talking, don't stop to read that text message you just got; that's incredibly rude. Let it buzz and read it later.

I don't hate texting; I just haven't found any use for it myself. I don't feel the need to be any more connected than I am. And the phone plan I'm on right now charges me for texting, so that makes me even less likely to use it. It doesn't bother me if other people are doing it though, as long as they're not being rude or dangerous about it. (Same goes for lots of other things.)

I'd estimate 95% of my texting is keeping in touch with my kids when they're away from home (and 1 of them is away at college now), and the other 5% is between my wife and me, usually when we're at work and a phone call is less practical or convenient.

Just like all technology, it's a great tool; and the fact that there was once a time when it didn't exist is immaterial.

Texting has some benefits over calling. I can say something brief to someone when I don't want to expand on it, and when someone wants to say something to me, I can wait till it's convenient to reply. For this reason, I can understand why women would hate texting (and why I like it)...Texting reduces 3 hour phone conversations about everything under the sun to 5 or 6 important sentences, often with simple yes or no answers. :)
Blues,
Dave

Ditto!!
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

As a deaf skydiver, I am totally unable to use a telephone without the help of a Relay service. A relay service inserts an interpretor into my telephone conversations that I'd rather not deal with for more private conversations, and many people do not like taking phone calls from a callcentre (which is how most telephone relay interpretor services operate.)

Texting is an important feature on my cellphone. There are other reasons, other than during disaster response (Katrina), that texting is useful. I can do email as easily as texting too -- my phone is a BlackBerry ;)

P.S. My skydiving training used the rotating arrow, instead of radio, for the same reason. Many deaf skydivers were trained this way, or by using a flagman. (Source: www.deafskydivers.org and Deaf World Record)