Tuna-Salad

What the Fuck? / Texting in a bar

I work nights and go to my neighborhood bar once or twice a week to have a couple beers and chat with the lunch regulars. I'll also text my friends who are working and set stuff up for the weekends etc... (I hate people who end sentances w/ ... )

It's also fun sending my brother a picture of a beer and a shot while he's stuck in the office.

If you see me texting in a bar and it bothers you enough to say something to me I'd be happy to shove my phone up your ass, my contract is almost up anyway.:S :idiot:

--"Someday you will die and somehow somethings going to steal your carbon" -MM

I travel 25 or so weeks out of the year.
I live in rental cars and hotel bars.
My company is global and I recieved phone calls, emails, and text at all hours.
Add to that fact that many of the ATL peeps send broadcast texts out to notify the group of new plans, gatherings and general debauchery rather than have to call 25 people individually. B|

It's simply time management as far as Im concerned. :)
now as far as texting someone IN the bar Im in. Well that would require me to be looking for that person or a need to communicate a message to that person without drawing attention to the conversation.

Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

It's simply time management as far as Im concerned. :)

Agree - It's sometimes 10 seconds versus 5 minutes.

As a deaf person, the extra overhead of a phone call just to say a single sentence reply by voice, sometimes takes me five minutes due to the extra overhead of going through the necessary relay operator. (The operator types out what people are saying on the phone)

Also, reading is faster (600-800 WPM for a typical normal speed reader) than listening (100-200 WPM), and for a deaf guy who relies on lipreading my listening speed is slow (50 WPM or less). So I subscribe to SpinVox, a service that converts my voicemails using voice recognition to text messages. It is amazingly accurate, with 95% transcription success.

It's simply time management as far as Im concerned.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agree - It's sometimes 10 seconds versus 5 minutes.

I agree too.. Only it is the opposite in my case. I hate talking on the phone but MUCH prefer it to trying to type a message on a number pad.

Take 5 seconds to call and ask a question. It would take at least 5 minutes (Usually much longer) for me to type any message on a number pad.

For You or Billy, I completely understand texts but for anyone else Texting is usually a waste of time and generally annoying.
Got a Question? Call and Ask. I will answer. End of call. Chatting and/or Catching up should be done in person and preferably over a cold beverage.

There are a few (VERY Few) that I will occasionally respond to via text but even then I cant help but to think this would be so much quicker and easier to just call.

Most of friends know what happens if they text me (It is not Pretty.. :ph34r: Well.. Except for Divot.. He keeps texting anyway cause I think he likes the picture)

I also happen to be a touchtypist with my thumbs on my BlackBerry -- I can text effortlessly without looking at the keyboard, at about 60-70 WPM. (About 300+ letters per minute), each key typed, no autocomplete. Often, I do look at the screen (not keyboard) while typing, so I can easily correct my mistakes and grammar. Abliet, effort-wise, it takes about a week to adapt to a new phone model (QWERTY), and then it's effortless thereafter.

Most text touchtypists (you've heard of those, too) use one thumb and can do it without looking, but me, I'm a QWERTY two-thumb touchtypist on my BlackBerry -- I don't like one thumb typing, although if pressed, I prefer SureType (Pearl) over the 10-digit T9...

I do NOT use textspeak (except for certain easy words such as "U" instead of "you" if texting to cellphones that only accept 160 characters -- my BlackBerry has no such limitation), and actually prefer typing full full words.

On desktop keyboards, I've clocked at 125-140WPM (Fastest was 140WPM at typingtest.com, Huckleberry Finn 1-minute test), so I type on a BlackBerry keyboard at approximately half the speed I do on desktop keyboards.

Lipreading takes more of my effort/human brain, so it's more comfortable for me to type. Like riding a bicycle.

Why the fuck do people go pay $2.50 for a beer to sit at the bar and send text messages? WTF did people do before cell phones? I go to a party with a co-worker and everyone is on their damn cell phones sending texts.. seriously.. what the fuck...

I don't see that at the bars or parties I go to. Maybe they're just trying to look busy so you don't talk to them. :ph34r:

Blues,
Dave

hahah i do that sometimes

Why the fuck do people go pay $2.50 for a beer to sit at the bar and send text messages? WTF did people do before cell phones? I go to a party with a co-worker and everyone is on their damn cell phones sending texts.. seriously.. what the fuck...

I don't see that at the bars or parties I go to. Maybe they're just trying to look busy so you don't talk to them. :ph34r:

Blues,
Dave

hahah i do that sometimes

Me, too. When I go to a bar, I want to enjoy my Sam Adams, so I have to pretend to text, or women would be all over me. It really is a curse at times.

it does affect me when some chode 10 feet away from me could just tell me what they are texting instead of running up my phone bill and sending me retarded pictures...

OK am I the only one who had to go & look up the word "chode?":D
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------