NickDG

Pilot Steve Fosset Located . . . ?

So, does that sound like he tried to walk out or that the body was carried away from the crash site?

I"m trying to think of what animals could carry a 200 pound body any appreciable distance away from the crash site (bear is the only thing I came up with), so it makes me want to think he would have been trying to walk out. That seems nuts and not at all like the survival training he supposedly had.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

So, does that sound like he tried to walk out or that the body was carried away from the crash site?

I"m trying to think of what animals could carry a 200 pound body any appreciable distance away from the crash site (bear is the only thing I came up with), so it makes me want to think he would have been trying to walk out. That seems nuts and not at all like the survival training he supposedly had.

~likely not a 200lb. 'mass' once the animals get there, probably several smaller sections. :|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You are assuming he was alive. What if he died in the crash and a bear or mtn lion dragged his body away from the crash so that it could eat it? The article even says that is probably what happened, well the eaten part.

The money being left gives a sign another human was not involved, or does it?? hmmmmm

edit: sorry quade I misread. I'm leaning towards he was dragged away by an animal though.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I want to be your friend if a grand is a small amount of money. :D I know it's not alot in the big picture but it is when you find it. I'm afraid I may have forgotten to mention that part to the police. :D

I did not read the article attached. I read the one on CNN and it said a small amount of money. :D

And I agree I would be like, "Officer I found this ID but there was nothing else there like a thousand dollars or anything just this ID. " :|

Or, someone could have found the plane and took items from it. Disposed of the license and sweatshirt along the way. Although they said there was a small amount of money left over and I doubt a thief would leave money behind.

Maybe if it was some kind of "hit" to knock off SF, but I doubt many thieves are living in that area. In fact, I do not think anyone could live there very long!:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

I want to be your friend if a grand is a small amount of money.:D I know it's not alot in the big picture but it is when you find it. I'm afraid I may have forgotten to mention that part to the police.:D

It was STEVE FOSSET...he prolly had 10 grand in the wallet. ;)

I'm still enjoying the conspiracy theories that pretty much place Fosset working a Quicky-Mart with Elvis in rural Alabama and that the crash was a staged fake death.

I don't really believe its true, but these sorts of reports will continue to feed the tin-foil-hat crowd.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm still enjoying the conspiracy theories that pretty much place Fosset working a Quicky-Mart with Elvis in rural Alabama and that the crash was a staged fake death.

I don't really believe its true, but these sorts of reports will continue to feed the tin-foil-hat crowd.

You mean it isn't true that Steve has been sleeping on the floor in FutureDivot's hotel room?! :o

I thought he was the one doing beer and smokes run for you and your demo cronies!

Nope...that's Ralffers! :ph34r:;)

Actually, I've met Steve on several occasions AT various air show demos.

His interest and knowledge of all aspects of aviation was admirable.

A very interesting, genuine 'common everyman' kinda guy, he'll be missed but I'm glad the family will get some closure.

Makes you wonder how his belongings were found away from the wreckage.

They don't really say how far away the items were from the wreckage. Things roll and blow downhill, and move with snow melt. Maybe the distance wasn't that far.

Or maybe these items blew out of a baggage compartment in-air, from some failure that was the cause of the crash, which could cause them to be a further distance from the crash site.

I'm sure we'll get those details in time.

I'm glad he's been found.

No body found in the wreckage.

Conspiracy theory: That was a Decathlon; A fully-aerobatic a/c. Anyone know if he was wearing a bailout rig?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I have lots of time flying SAR in that part of the country (out of NAS Fallon, NV)and it is no surprise to me that it has taken so long to find the aircraft. As for Mr. Fosset, he may never be located. There are lots of animals up there that would certainly carry away any remains. Perhaps this is how his belongings wound up where they did.

It is interresting just how far away the wreckage is from the primary search area, which was the vicinity of MT. Grant in NV. ~150 miles away (+/- a few)

At lease there is some measure of closure for the family knowing that he likely did not suffer.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68