FlyingJ

Motorcycles w/ no helmets

To those of you that ride w/out a helmet...

...how the hell do you do it!?!?!?!?

I choose to wear a helmet but I understand completely why people like riding without a helmet and have no problem with it, everyone should have the choice.

My question is, how the hell do you deal with the freakin' bugs? The last month or so I can hardly ride anywhere without wiping bug splatter off my face shield and I can only imagine what they would all feel like hitting me square in the face.

I always wondered before I started riding too, watching guys in Florida riding around w/ no helmets on during love bug infestations.

How do you do it?!?!?!?
Killing threads since 2004.

You're assuming full face helmets.

I ride with a 1/2 lid when I ride with one. Basically once I hit the highway for a ride longer than about 30 minutes, the lid comes off. Any more than that and I end up with a wicked headache and a sore neck.[:/]

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

man, the good old days that ended back in 1990 in California. i can fly my trike, jump, ski, snowboard, and climb a tree with no helmet...but if i get on pavement with 2 wheels, the god damn gov. has to be involved.

Ya know... I was out this weekend on my bike and took a bug hit in my supraclavicular fossa (you know... that soft spot at the base of the neck that is above the jacket, not covered by the helmet)

OWIE!

Made me glad that I wasn't taking those bug hits on my face.

Its easy. I live and ride in Arizona. Very few bugs. Dealing with the intense heat scorching off the road is a bigger problem.

Amen. Riding in Southern Nevada in July is ridiculously painful, even with only a skid-lid.
Funny...in Nevada you can have anal sex, carry a drink in one hand and a firearm in the other on Las Vegas Blvd, and smoke weed in your own home...but you gotta wear a helmet on the road.:S

"The river flows
It flows to the sea
Wherever that river goes
That's where I want to be
Flow river flow
Let your waters wash down
Take me from this road
To some other town"

Name That Tune!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

carry a drink in one hand and a firearm in the other on Las Vegas Blvd, and smoke weed in your own home...but you gotta wear a helmet on the road.:S

Damn, I'm movin' to Vegas, Ba-by!

Does Utah still not require a helmet. Years ago I rode without one most the time.:S

Glad I lived.:S:)

carry a drink in one hand and a firearm in the other on Las Vegas Blvd, and smoke weed in your own home...but you gotta wear a helmet on the road.:S

Damn, I'm movin' to Vegas, Ba-by!

Does Utah still not require a helmet. Years ago I rode without one most the time.:S

Utah still does not require a helmet, and it's one of the reasons I still live in Utah.B|
Glad I lived.:S:)

I think this "thing" about riding bikes without helmet comes from back in the days...with gangs like Hells Angels and other rad dudes doing what they could to be on the wrong side of the law:ph34r:, the bikes those bad boys where riding wasn`t exactly speed machines.. but many of them used some kind of KKK look-a-like mouth covers ...now, today i like to think that many of those bikers who choose to ride without helmet is some kind of HA wannabees. Nothing wrong with that..we all have our heroes:P,

I used to ride bikes some years ago...one of those plastic rocket with more horsepower than weight:D, i used to go to trackdays once in week...that was brilliant fun, miss that time.

Come on Dan!
I do both without a helmet!

Kinda like safe sex...not always the smartest thing to do, but DAMN does it FEEL GOOD!!!

NO HELMETS THIS WEEKEND FOR BIKETOBERFEST!!!!!

Naaaaaaa

Mark, I left out the exclamation point!

It's an individual thing and I'm for personal freedom. I've been riding since I was 16 and simply prefer a full face helmet. It is a lot quieter, saves my hearing, allows me to listen to music while riding. As far as safety, The jury is still out. Sliding on the pavement is definitely safer with a helmet, but it too can contribute to injury with weight on the head. Helmet and skydiving, definitely quieter and a little safer...... back to a personal thing......
Dano

Re: motorcycles without helmets I'm inclined to give you another tune, namely Beethoven's Fifth:

DUH-DUH-DUH-DUUUMB :P

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom