voodew1

Cobalt reline

I believe Atair is very good about giving out the specs for their linesets, in fact, they may even be available on their website. With the specs, you should be able to easily find a good rigger who can make you a set and and do the install. Ballpark price: $200.

Canuck

I sent you a pm with all the info you requested. But in case anyone else searches for this thread, i will post it here too.

I sent my Cobalt 105 to Mark "Mel" Lancaster
Skyworks Parachute Service
2222 Buffalo-West Springs Hwy.
Buffalo, SC 29321
864-429-8428
www.skyworksrigging.com
Great guy, easy to talk to and very knowledgeable. I even had a concern about one line after i got the canopy back and he paid to have it shipped back to him to check it out for me and then he paid to send it back when he was finished. I also had an "H-mod" which i guess should be called a "J-mod" done at the same time by Joe Bennett.

Voodew, if you got your 105 modded, it would fly a lot like your 95B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Pete Swan did a really nice job on my comp cobalt 120. In my area (N. California), Pete does more re-lines than just about any rigger. Call him and ask for a quote. 209-365-9114

P.O. Box 24
Acampo, CA 95220

Pete does do good work!

But we probably do more relines a year than most. We do a ton of relines every year.

Feel free to contact us.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

great thread ... i am thinking of having my cobalt 105 relined.

but, my question for cobalt dan and skymoney is this: how do you know when you really need one?

i bought mine from lyal who runs eden north DZ in canada. so, i'm not sure exactly how many jumps are on it. probably 500-600. it flies and opens very well, so i don't want to fix what's not broken, but i also don't want to wait too long

what should indicate to me most strongly that i need to have it relined without delay?

thanks, guys.

:)
... On landing a wise man once said: "A long walk always beats a short ambulance ride."

great thread ... i am thinking of having my cobalt 105 relined.

but, my question for cobalt dan and skymoney is this: how do you know when you really need one?

i bought mine from lyal who runs eden north DZ in canada. so, i'm not sure exactly how many jumps are on it. probably 500-600. it flies and opens very well, so i don't want to fix what's not broken, but i also don't want to wait too long

what should indicate to me most strongly that i need to have it relined without delay?

thanks, guys.

Depends a lot on the type suspension lines on the parachute. Spectra line, will tend to go out of trim within somewhere around 200-jumps. Vectran stays in trim but, will snap, due to wear. Usually at the connector links.

Chuck

I found that poor performance in turbulent air was a dead give away. It started with some bucking in strong winds and degraded over the last season. Probably about 350 jumps at the time. I finally grounded it after my first jump at Spences's mountain boogie where I was too scared to give it any input (say about 450-500 jumps). Luckily I had a straight in approach. Look for sloppy, scary openings as well.

Line specs are on Atair's website so you might just want to measure it out. Mel's linesets look great- I now have peppermint striped lines to match my canopy.

The quickest way to check line life is to compare all the "A" lines. For example, rectangular canopies start with all the "A" lines the same length. By the time the outer "A" lines have shrunk 3 inches, you are due for a re-line.
Measuring "A" lines on tapered canopies is more complex. For that you need a factory trim chart and a Master Rigger who is experienced at reading trim charts.
If outer "A" lines have shrunk seriously, you will get lots of collapsed end cells at opening time. It looks like the top skin is folded under and the only thing preventing it from blowing any farther back is the "B" and "C" lines. Not a pretty sight!

The next fastest wearing lines are lower steering lines, which are heavily-loaded during openings and subjected to plenty of friction as they slide up and down through riser rings and slider grommets. Comparing steering line length to factory trim charts is a bit of a dark art as every canopy manufacturer uses a different measuring method. For example, PD likes to loop the connector links and steering lien eyes over the same hook, while Strong Enterprises takes all measurements "on risers."

If steering lines have shrunk too much the canopy will fly sluggish and will not have much "flare power." The loss of "flare power" is caused by flying final approach in 1/4 or 1/2 brakes, ergo not much forward speed to convert into lift.
We expect 500 pound Spectra lines to shrink out of trim after only 200 or 300 jumps.
725 - 850 pound Spectra tends to last a bit longer, up to 600 - 800 jumps.
Vectran does not shrink out of trim, it starts to break at random after 300 - 600 jumps.
HMA line can last as long as 1200 jumps, but prudent skydivers replace HMA lines after 600 jumps.

Heavy wing-loadings, hard openings and "sawing" vigorously on steering toggles also reduce line life.

when doing a reline on a cobalt can you use vectran or hma lines or do you have to use spectra since that is what the manufacturer uses to make the canopy?

The information I've gotten is that, Vectran is acceptable on the Cobalt. A bit more costly maybe but the performance is there the life of the lines.

Chuck

You'll pick up a bit more speed with Vectran as well due to the thinner lines. At least that was my perception- it could also have been from the improved airfoil. Just be careful with the vectran steering line wear. The other alternative is to have the lower steering lines replaced with an alternative non-vectran that will require retrim more often, but swapping out steering lines is cheap.

In my case my Cobalt lost its snivelly sweet openings. The brake lines are too short so it opens in more of a stall with, in my case, a guaranteed heading change instead of shunting that energy into slow ( braked) straight forward flight like it did when newer. The snivel stage is almost non existant and even slight front riser pulls have the canopy "bucking".

I'm not sure that it needed anything more than the brake lines done. Maybe, additionally, the outer lines. It only has about 350 jumps on it.

why do we reline any canopy with spectra anymore? If I had a stiletto, I'd get it relined in Vectran.

PD used to offer (still do actually) the Vengence in Spectra or Vectran.

3 guesses which option people never chose ;)

Seems like the market is better educated now but there will always be jumpers who don't maintain their gear and will then complain to the manufacturer that their line(s) broke after 500 jumps.

Spectra is far more forgiving of poor maintenance skydivers.

I'd rather have vectran/hma as an option and see jumpers pay better attention to their gear....but that's just me ;)
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

the best way to know is simply to measure the lines.

print out the line spec chart from our web site, then measure and compare. If in doubt give us a call.

an easy way to measure is to nail a measuring tape to the floor. leave the nail sticking out so you can hook a slink or rapid link on it then pull each line taught one by one, measure and write down. many people like to measure like lines (the left and right) at the same time.

on average spectra line sets on cobalts go for 600 to 800+ jumps. Because of the way cobalts are reefed there is less spreading force on the slider, this tends not to friction shrink the outer lines too much. additionally the outer lines are actually adjusted to account for the dimensional change wsith use. this is why you find that cobalts fly even better when you 'break them in'.

spectra is my preference as it is the most forgiving and best all around line, however do also offer vectran or technora line sets (except not for brake lines).

sincerely,

Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)