DJL

Studded Snow Tires

Has anyone found any real advantage to these? I'll be driving in Vermont all winter.

well... they are nice and all if you are looking for traction... I prefer bald tires, ice and a good hand lever e-brake for getting around in th snow...

my dodge magnum (RWD) is pretty fun tooB|

Studded snow tires offer maximum traction on icy roads....they however tend to reduce traction on dry pavement...

I run 4 winter tires on my cars and toss them before they are half worn...if I was in a climate with more snow and ice I would run studded snows.

oh yeah... may want to check with local laws too... some places have laws against chains...studded tires, etc because they tend to tear up the road and cause costly repairs...

if you are in an area with plowing and salt trucks it shouldnt be that bad... they usually plow after 2" or so...

Depends on the type of car you have. Studded tires are great but they are expensive. If you dont want to mess with chains then get them. If you don't mind chaining up then dont spend the money on the tires. I am sure you can get away with a snow and ice tire and be just fine if you have all wheel or 4wheel drive.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Well, I like tire chains -when I was the mechanic for an Ice racer car on Lake Winnipesaukee in NH we use to wrap a motorcycle chain around the front tires and inflate to hold it in place- man those cars RIP on the ice.

eh- prolly not street legal though.
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

Has anyone found any real advantage to these? I'll be driving in Vermont all winter.

I've commuted to work in Vt. for 11 years. Studded snows suck! They're not good for your suspension and they can turn into ice skates on black ice. I've found great success with Bridgestone Blizzaks.

Also, if you have rear wheel drive; get AAA. You'll need it because you'll be spending a lot of time in ditches.:|

Depends on the type of car you have. Studded tires are great but they are expensive. If you dont want to mess with chains then get them. If you don't mind chaining up then dont spend the money on the tires. I am sure you can get away with a snow and ice tire and be just fine if you have all wheel or 4wheel drive.

Provided you don'tget high centered, all wheel drive with the right combination of locking differentials, limited slip differentials, and traction control will keep you from getting stuck but won't provide any better directional stability than rear wheel drive.

If you're worried about ice, which wheels are driving shouldn't have any influence on whether or not you stud your snow tires.

I've commuted to work in Vt. for 11 years. Studded snows suck! They're not good for your suspension and they can turn into ice skates on black ice. I've found great success with Bridgestone Blizzaks.

Also, if you have rear wheel drive; get AAA. You'll need it because you'll be spending a lot of time in ditches.:|

It's a 4WD Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's the V8 and RWD so I go to 4WD early because it overpowers the rears very easily. VT roads are advertised as the best-plowed in NE so I'm hesitant to get studs only to wear them down highway driving.

I have a place that will install and align a set for $480 and they store our 3 season tires until the spring.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I on the other hand have had great luck with mine..on the everpresent black ice we get here... its WET alot.. and always freezes at night...

The studs provide just a little traction when all else fails on the glaze ice... they will dig in just enough.

There is no tire known that will get any grip on glaze ice.. unless they have good studs in them... proven over and over again on the hills around here... every winter.

NOW.. if you are driving like a maniac.. nothing will help you..:ph34r:

AAA is ALWAYS a good idea.. just in case.

People from CA and warm third world shitholes take note.. if you have never driven on ice and snow.. PARK the car and stay home till it all melts.... this has been a PSA from those of us who get hours of amusement at those of you with wide scared shitless eyes as you go skidding down a hill with your bald fucking tires slamming into other people's cars.

True that Vt. roads are well plowed, however, if you find yourself driving in the brunt of the storm, you need all the safety you can get. You also have to get around the tourist skiing assholes who come up from NY with their Lexus' and only all season tires. Those shitheads are constantly causing a road to be closed.>:(

Several years back I had an Acura MDX. It's 4WD with computerized traction control. I put the Blizzaks on that vehicle and there was nothing that could stop me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I on the other hand have had great luck with mine..on the everpresent black ice we get here... its WET alot.. and always freezes at night...

There's actually a difference between Northeast winter driving conditions and Northwest winter driving conditions.

Sounds like there's no difference between Cali asshole drivers and NY asshole drivers though.:D

Also, if you have rear wheel drive; get AAA. You'll need it because you'll be spending a lot of time in ditches

Really? I have lived over 40 years in the northeast and have never put a rear wheel drive vehicle in a ditch.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

I have well over 14yrs of snow driving behind me. I lived in Reno/Tahoe and never got stuck or had a problem getting high centered, but then again I know how to drive in snow. Most newer cars are either front wheel or all wheel drive. That is why I said depends on the type of car. Some all wheel drives have a warning saying do not use chains. Obviously you have not driven a subaru in the snow or you would not have made the comment about all wheel drives not being better than rear wheel with directional stability.

I have driven front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, 4 wheel drives, and all wheel drive
In the snow. I hate chaining up a car. It is cold, dirty, and a pain in the ass. That is why I have either had a 4x4 or a subaru.

With ice, studs work just fine. Just drive the correct speeds. Which means if it is snowing and there is crap on the road slow down. If it is less than 40 degrees out and the road looks wet slow down. That goes for all types of cars with or with out chains, studs, and so on.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

I have well over 14yrs of snow driving behind me. I lived in Reno/Tahoe and never got stuck or had a problem getting high centered, but then again I know how to drive in snow. Most newer cars are either front wheel or all wheel drive. That is why I said depends on the type of car. Some all wheel drives have a warning saying do not use chains. Obviously you have not driven a subaru in the snow or you would not have made the comment about all wheel drives not being better than rear wheel with directional stability.

I moved to Colorado when I turned 18 and didn't leave until 15 years later. I used to get 60 days a season snowboarding before I discovered skydiving and the snow+traffic went to heck when they sold cheap ski passes to people over 21 and the small mountain towns got legalized gamlbing.

I own an Audi with Quatro (center Torsen differential, electronic differential locks). I've driven Subarus. I drove my FJ40 (V8, low gears, 90 inch wheelbase) in snow and ice without bothering to get out and lock the hubs. With decent tires four driving wheels make it easier to get going but don't help to keep you pointed in the right direction provided you're not stupid about using your right foot.

The ability to accelerate does lead a lot of people to believe they have more traction than they really do. Anecdotally, most of the cars upside down in the Colorado medians seem to be 4x4s.

Where the real difference comes in is getting through unplowed snow and parking. I can park the Audi with the left side on an icy road, the right side on a snow bank, and not get stuck.

I got like 6, 7 miles of steep twisty mountain roads to get out of my nieghborhood. I use chains and throw 3 80lb. bags of cement in the back of my truck. Looks like maybe sunday or monday we get our first snow here. At work theres "automatic" (useless) chains on 2 units and a 4X4 with chains if need be.
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-