dgskydive

to business owners on dz.com

Very. It has enabled my sexual services company to grow by leaps and bounds. Especially the dominatrix subsiderary. There a lot of sick fucks on DZ.com.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

It has allowed me to expand my social network and reconnect with people I haven't seen in years in a "work enviroment", I wouldn't say it has driven my sales up, no. However it depends on what you really want out of a social network, there are many ways you use sites liked linkedin and other blogs to gleam organic SEO results if you use it right and use sites that allow back links to your site.

You could write blogs about your company and in little time be at the top of the page as well as 2,3,6,,8 in a Google search and even drive your competors right off of page one. You need a good basic understanding of SEO and meta tags, keywords & anchor text and use them in your blogs.

For example if you sell real estate one of best free marketing tools you can use is Youtube and have your own channel for all your listings and make a short video or use your free mircosoft "photostory 3" to make a slideshow and upload it, using keywords such as, DGskydive realtor, Perris CA, 123 elm street Temecula Ca 91045 and when someone Googles 123 elm st. or Temecula Ca real estate up will pop your channel and if your bloging right, your blog.

And that kind of free marketing is one sure way to drive you sales up and save you on buying marketing.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

How important has linkedin been to you as a business owner? Has it done anything positive for you? Created any sales?

I actually speak about this to Fortune 500s all the time as I try to teach them the value of social media.

LinkedIn is not valuable to business unless you're a recruiter. In my humble opinion, here's why:

What do I see on LinkedIn? I see your resume, and people who have given you testimonials about how great you are. Now - taking into account the fact that a) their stickiness is non-existent as a site, and also that there's no reason for me to keep coming back, the end result is that I don't want to know how great you are in business from your resume and other people blowing smoke up your ass.

Face it, if you worked for a guy, stole money from him and impregnated his daughter before blowing town with the company car, you weren't going to ask him to give you a recommendation anyway, so why should I care about recommendations from people I don't know telling me about stuff you may or may not have been good at?

FACEBOOK, on the other hand, is to me, the ultimate business tool. First off, it gives me a bigger picture of you. I want to know more than just your resume. If I'm hiring you, either as an employee, contractor, or head of a firm to which I want to pay to do business, I want to know a hell of a lot more about you than simply your resume. Tell me about yourself. Show me some photos from your weekend. How do you think? What do you do outside the office? Videos? Who are your friends? How many do we have in common?

Point is, we're moving towards one social network in the near future anyway, and it's going to be our job to figure out what we post there to make us most viable as a friend, employee, consultant, or general person as a whole. LinkedIn has always been about segregating business from personal, and in the next 36 months, that segregation is going to go away. With that said, why invest time in something that's simply going to have to be redone in the near future.

Four terms to think about when building your Facebook profile: Relevance, Brevity, Transparency, and Top of Mind Presence. Hit me offlist and I'll gladly share more depth onto this. I get paid to talk about this stuff on a daily basis.

:)

-Peter (who managed to get bit by a monkey this morning. And no, I wasn't spanking it.)

Alright, alright.

Any serious answers now?

Linkedin hasn't done anything to me. Yet. But I have used Facebook to tap into my client's pool (advertising agencies), as everybody knows everybody in my line of work. Looking at one major creative director's friends' list gives me contact info for another 30 creative directors...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

No tangible benefit but then I only have about 40 contacts and have only had one referral.

I have heard that if you put alot of time into it then it can work well.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

What you said is an excellent thesis about society;exposure, transparency, other peoples opinion of you - all of these things matter in crating a successful business. Unfortunately this does not necessarily work in favor of everyone who provides superior product or service.
For example you could be the best tile setter in the world but if you don't have good people skills and are basically a likable bullshitter you won't get anywhere.
I constantly see people succeed in business not because they are good at what they do they are just good at managing spin about themselves.

Highly skilled people who are introverts cannot survive in a "who you know and who you blow world". which is what we are amounting to with all this mandatory scrutiny and social connectivity.

I don't want people caring about who I am fucking or go snowboarding with as long as I do a good job at work.

I totally agree with you that that's the way we are going but if people care about how I am faring as a social being instead of my work then I don't want them as my customer. They can call the better bullshitter instead- and see what they get.
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

So give me some specific features you would like to see on a "business networking" site.

The ,as Peter put it, Stickyness of a site aside. If you were to join a site like this, what type of tools would make it valuable to you. SOmething that you would want to come back to and use on a daily basis
Dom