Derekbox

Free Skyhook Offer!!

Hey Bill,
I am sure this has been asked before somewhere, but I cant find it. I bought a new rig a couple of months ago which I am sad to say was not a RW rig :$ However I would very much like the advantages of the skyhook without having to buy again. Is it currently possible to get a skyhook installed on my current rig?

Regards,
Marc

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1786777;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unreadTry Here

Mark Klingelhoefer

Hey Bill,
I am sure this has been asked before somewhere, but I cant find it. I bought a new rig a couple of months ago which I am sad to say was not a RW rig :$ However I would very much like the advantages of the skyhook without having to buy again. Is it currently possible to get a skyhook installed on my current rig?

Regards,
Marc

I know I went over this before, but here it is again. Only the manufacturer of your rig can install a Skyhook on your rig, because it "alters" part of the TSOed reserve system. Your manufacturer would first have to license the technology, do the tests, and "alter" his TSO. I imagine this will happen sometime within a year.

One more Q Bill My V308 with a Collins Lanyard(?) that i bought a month or so ago, can that be easily fitted with a skyhook, or does it take a fair bit of reworking?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

One more Q Bill My V308 with a Collins Lanyard(?) that i bought a month or so ago, can that be easily fitted with a skyhook, or does it take a fair bit of reworking?

If you already have an RSL with a Collins' Lanyard, about half the work is done. But, we still have to add the 6" Skyhook lanyard to the RSL lanyard, sew the Skyhook attachment and cover to reserve flap 2, shorten the reserve freebag bridle, and sew the Skyhook and soft tabs to it.

That is a big difference over just launching the reserve pilot chute and the jumper having to accelerate to get the reserve out of the free bag, towing the piot chute for a bit.

Minor detail here, the jumper does not accelerate to get the reserve out of the free bag. The Freebag accelerates/deccellerates away from the jumper, depending on who/how you want to debate it with. Some guys with degrees will tell you that acceleration and deccelleration are the same thing based on relativity. Personally, I don't accelerate up to a stop sign, I deccelerate to it and accelerate away from it.

Since you and the pc are travelling at the same speed at the instant of launch, and it then goes slower than you because of drag, I would argue that the pc deccelerates away from the jumper.

BTW, the Skyhook is simple, efficient, and an enhancement to jumper safety. The cost is easily justfied, especially on HP mains. Free Offer or not.
alan

Minor detail here, the jumper does not accelerate to get the reserve out of the free bag.

A jumper's speed is measured relative to the ground. Once the jumper cuts away, he begins to acclerate again. The reserve PC acclerates too, just not as fast, so the jumper acclerates away from the PC.

Derek

That is a big difference over just launching the reserve pilot chute and the jumper having to accelerate to get the reserve out of the free bag, towing the piot chute for a bit.

Minor detail here, the jumper does not accelerate to get the reserve out of the free bag. The Freebag accelerates/deccellerates away from the jumper, depending on who/how you want to debate it with. Some guys with degrees will tell you that acceleration and deccelleration are the same thing based on relativity. Personally, I don't accelerate up to a stop sign, I deccelerate to it and accelerate away from it.

Since you and the pc are travelling at the same speed at the instant of launch, and it then goes slower than you because of drag, I would argue that the pc deccelerates away from the jumper.

BTW, the Skyhook is simple, efficient, and an enhancement to jumper safety. The cost is easily justfied, especially on HP mains. Free Offer or not.

Yes and the jumper is ACCELERATING towards the earth!
You know that big ball you do not want to try to kick out of orbit.B|

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

If you only brought a month ago,l why didn't u have it installed at the time? Why a month later?

Money, and I'm not installing one A month later, I was inquiring to Bill regarding the difficulty of doiing it at a later date.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

A jumper's speed is measured relative to the ground. Once the jumper cuts away, he begins to acclerate again. The reserve PC acclerates too, just not as fast, so the jumper acclerates away from the PC.

So if you measure the pc's speed relative to the ground, since it is travelling with the jumper prior to cut away, then it would have to be decelerating relative to the ground and the jumper. Why do you choose to measure the jumpers speed relative to the ground and the PCs speed relative to the jumper? After all, Poynter did name The Parachute Manual A Technical Treatise On Aerodynamic Decelerators. There must have been a reason that Mr. Poynter did not call them accelerators. I wonder what it could have been.

The reserve PC acclerates too, just not as fast,

Certainly not relative to the ground as a result of a cutaway. It seems to accelerate away from the jumper or the jumper seems to accelerate away from the PC, but that is just the endless debate of relativity. BTW, I agree, the jumper does accelerate towards the ground after a cutaway, but the PC (and main) decelerates so quickly and does its' job before the jumper has time to do much real accelerating in the case of a Skyhook RSL System.

The one thing that is common is the true point of relativity, and that is the Earth. The jumper and PC both begin and end all of their journeys at that point.

I just can't understand how Mr. Poynters Manuals are referred to so much as the source of so much accurate information when he apparently got the title wrong.
alan

Semantics. It all depends on what you're measuring relative to:

Agreed, as I pretty much said the same thing in different words in my first post in this thread.

- If you're measuring relative to the jumper, the reserve pilot chute is decelerating.

Agreed again! With a small qualifier, it does appear to accelerate away from the jumper, but we need to remember the jumper is moving as well so it does not seem logical to only consider the perspective of measuring from the jumper without taking into condideration the Earth. We cannot discount the forces that causes the change in velocity and it's source, gravity and drag.

If you're measuring relative to the Earth, it's accelerating.

This one is a little trickier. Measured realtive to Earth it decellerates as it comes out of the pack tray, at a greater rate than the jumper accelerates during that brief period, due to a higher coefficient of drag than the typical jumper. Quite simply, it is going slower than when it was still on the jumpers back. Then I would guess there is a brief period of acceleration at line stretch and as the canopy comes out of the bag. Once it is free of the canopy there are some minor variations but it accelerates briefly until it reaches a stable terminal velocity that can be influenced by changing atmospheric conditions and changes in drag induced by a changing decent configuration, it is twisting and turn as it comes down.

I think acceleration and decelereation tend to be the same thing in a void where there exist only two objects. Then you only need one to be moving but it works the same if both are. The measurent is from either object and as long as the distance between the two is changing at a varying rate, they are accelerating /decelerating away from each other and the terms are interchageable. If you introduce a third element then it changes. In this case it is the Earth. And even though it is moving itself, it profides a constant of relativity for the other two elements. Just mull it over, even if I have it all wrong, there is no real harm in that.
alan

Back to the beginning of this digression, this is actually why physicists only use the term "acceleration", and do away with "deceleration".

It's not because they're weird and picky, but really because if you start trying to define a difference between them you end up having conversations like this one. The more you try to define it, the more you have to add more caveats and complicated descriptions.

It *is* all the same thing.

(Disclaimer: IANAP :))
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

;) Hahahaha! So true, yet so confusing.

Police officer: Why did you run that stop sign back there?

Physicist: Because the more I accelerated the harder it became to stop.

Police officer: Try decelereating the next time.

Physicist: But that is exactly what I did, a layman such as yourself would never understand that they are one in the same. As a physicist I only use the term acceleration because it is too confusing to define the difference.

Police officer: Would you please step out of the car sir.

It is not because they are weird and picky, it is just because they are wierd. Uhhh...what are the reat of us supposed to use, you know the one's that aren't physicists. Can we still decelerate? ;) Just havin' a little fun.
alan