Why do people like Wings containers so much?

Racer is still the MOST comfortable rig I have ever had the pleasure of jumping and wouldn't be opposed to having it as my next. I love the pin protection!

Not to turn this thread around, but for the record I'm a small girl and any Racer I have tried on has been very UNcomfortable. Another girl my size agreed. The mudflaps are too large, the yoke sits too low and has never been narrow enough (even on their smallest standard harness).

I hear this often (how Racers are comfortable) however I'm just throwing this info out there for wee people like myself.

In regards to the Wings, they're ok containers in my opinion but certainly not my fave. I don't like their reserve PC, and it seems if riggers place too much bulk toward the top of the bag (ears) then the reserve flap can come open routinely.

It's the "I jump it so of course it's the best" syndrome.

I was like that when I first bought my Wings nearly 3 years ago; however, my opinion has seasoned over the last few years. The Wings container is just as good as any other major rig manufacture's rig available. Infinity, Jav, Mirage, Micron, etc. The difference is the customer service. The only other company (rig manufacture) that I've personally seen bend absolutely over backwards to help their customers to the degree that Sunrise Rigging (Wings) does is Velocity Sports (Infinity). Many times I'm in absolute awe at how far Sunrise Rigging will go to take care of their customers, even before they purchase a harness/container from them.

Is it a good rig? Yes.
Is it the best rig on the market? I wouldn't say so, but its definately not a bad rig.
Does the customer service of the company make you want to purchase nothing but more Wings in the future? Yes, without a doubt.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

it doesn't seem too disimilar from my rig which is a TS Superfly

I won't say too much since GJHolder is posting on this and he is way more of a guru, but two key differences for me are the covered poptop (can't easily be kicked and get reserve deployment accidentally, as does happen occasionally with exposed poptops) and the Wings RSL, which like most is connected to the reserve pin, unlike the TSE rigs in which I think the RSL is connected to the reserve handle... I always feel my teeth when I think about THAT deploying! :S:P

But there are lots of other differences - like the position of the three ring attachment and the way the leg straps are attached for a more comfortable canopy ride. Ask Sunrise - I'm sure they'll tell you! ;)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

I bought my first Wings just to keep from having to listen to Gareth blather on about me jumping a "Death Trap" other kind of rig.

On my first one, with the 170 in it, I had the problem of the reserve flaps coming open. When I was due for a repack on the reserve, I sent it back to be fixed, and they did the reserve repack for free!

As I've progressed in the sport, I've met and jumped with Henri, the owner, and met Ankie. Like most of my other expensive transactions, I like Wings best because of the people and the service.

Just a suggestion to everybody considering buying a new container: sent your parachutes to the manufacturer and have them assemble it. With the main and reserve in, any problems will be obvious, and can be fixed there, instead of having to be fixed by a rigger locally, or sent back.

In regards to the Wings, they're ok containers in my opinion but certainly not my fave. I don't like their reserve PC, and it seems if riggers place too much bulk toward the top of the bag (ears) then the reserve flap can come open routinely.

The problem is that if you dont put enough bulk of the reserve in the ears of the molar bag, the reserve pilot chute doesn't have any depth for the spring to compress in and you can be left with a pilot chute that protrudes from the outside of your rig. Its a lose lose situation. And if there is too little bulk up there, you also get more wrinkles around the top of the reserve container.

Cheers,
Travis

It's the "I jump it so of course it's the best" syndrome.

For sure this happens, but just to put a spin on it: Most people buy what they buy exactly because they think it's the best (or best suited to them). For example, I thought that the Velocity was the best canopy before I owned one - that's why I bought one. I thought that the Wings was the best container before I owned one - that's why I bought one.

For those people getting ugly reserve pack jobs - don't pay for that shit! Get the rigger to re-do it, or find another more competent rigger.

Canuck

I love my Wings cause it fits. And like Mailin said, the customer service is great.

I guess it's all in who measures you:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I'm curious - i was looking in the gear review section and out of 25 reviews, it averages 5 out of 5 stars!

Don't place too much stock in the gear ratings, just about everything gets four or five stars, including such treasures as the dolphin, the telesis, the falcon and the sabre.

I've got a wings, bought new and fitted to me. Not a bad rig, but I really don't find it very comfy. The shoulder straps bite into my traps, and the leg straps pinch me. Other than that, it's a perfectly good rig. Not much you're going to buy new anymore isn't a good, safe rig.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

[reply
I've got a wings, bought new and fitted to me. Not a bad rig, but I really don't find it very comfy. The shoulder straps bite into my traps, and the leg straps pinch me. Other than that, it's a perfectly good rig. Not much you're going to buy new anymore isn't a good, safe rig.

Sounds like your main lift web is too short. That can be fixed. If it really bugs you, PM me and we'll see what we can do for you. No sense in not being comfy.

I'm going to chime in here and also say that Wings customer service is GREAT! I needed my rig for a boogie Labor Day weekend and Ankie told me she'd have it overnighted 2 days before I left so that I could jump it there. Yesterday I got an e-mail from my rigger saying my rig was on his doorstep. You guys rock. Unfortunately I won't get to jump it this weekend though, because my reserve won't be in until Monday:(

I got an e-mail from my rigger saying my rig was on his doorstep. You guys rock. Unfortunately I won't get to jump it this weekend though, because my reserve won't be in until Monday

You messed up with the delivery timing of the reserve? Come on, that's the one thing you always get off the shelf - not custom, and you miss a weekend?

Bad form! :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

You messed up with the delivery timing of the reserve? Come on, that's the one thing you always get off the shelf - not custom, and you miss a weekend?

False- I lost 3 months the same way. You can't always get that reserve off the shelf. Try getting a Smart 220 back last November.