Bibliophile

Am I the only skydiver who doesn't drink ?

Hello, everybody.

So I finally graduated AFF yesterday. Of course, I get told about having to buy everybody beer (which I already knew).

The only problem is: I don't drink, and for similar reasons, I don't buy alcohol. So I did the next best thing: I bought some cases of soda.

But it made me wonder: Am I the only one here who doesn't drink?

Or I am condemned to stick out like a sore thumb among skydivers, because I don't partake in the beer tradition?

Anybody?
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who
can do nothing for him."

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

No, you aren't alone.

Some don't drink for religious reasons.

Others are in recovery.

It is a pretty prevalent activity, but I've never seen anyone belittled or ostracized for not drinking.

One of the advantages is that it's usually pretty easy to get on sunrise loads because everyone else was up late partying.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

In this day and age where alcoholism is a major issue with many people, be it do to themselves having issues with drinking or having a close friend or family member who has issues with drinking, not drinking and or not choosing to drinking isn't that unusual and shouldn't be looked as such.
I'm sure every one at you DZ greatly appreciated the gesture and are happy with you being a part of the community. I've only been in this sport for 2 months and I've only meet great, kind hearted, and understanding individuals.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

You have to be trolling, a case of soda? :D

fuck off git:P

I dont drink and have often bought soft drink (soda) for the bar.
I buy beer for my milestones, and soda for my infringments:)complain once and you'll never get a beer from me EVER:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I go dry every year from June to November to train for the NYC Marathon. You're not the only one, and it's fine. I bought a cube fridge for the Ranch when I graduated AFF.

It's cool.

Besides, it's a shitload easier at the bonfire to focus the camera on other people being idiots when you're sober and they're not. :)

Actually, I quit drinkin' a week ago. Gettin' ready to quit smokin' here in a day or so... whenever I'm done with the pack I'm on. In a month or so, I'll get back to drinkin'. I've seen people buy cases of soda all over the place. I've even seen skydivers pass on a free beer opportunity in Eloy. First time I went there, I brought a case, walked into the bar, bought a drink, announced that there was more beer on my by the bonfire, and moved out to the bonfire... no one showed so I drank a case to myself. Squeak was there. I've seen non-drinkers split the case 50-50 between soda and beer. I've seen non-drinkers just buy a case of beer and not partake.

End of story... no you're not the only skydiver who doesn't drink. No you're not weird for buyin' soda. Shut up Copeland or else I'm deportin' your ass!:P You still bought a case and were able to celebrate with everyone. Congrats brother.:)

Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

I'd say buy cases of bottled water or gatorade. It's better to stay hydrated at the dropzone, in lieu of drinking pop.

You will drink the soda and you will like it!:|

:P
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

But it made me wonder: Am I the only one here who doesn't drink?

Probably :)

Or I am condemned to stick out like a sore thumb among skydivers, because I don't partake in the beer tradition?

Anybody?

Probably not ... I drink tequila or vodka myself - I don't like beer. I don't feel singled out or chastised for it. I have a great time socializing at the drop zone ...

O

Gettin' ready to quit smokin' here in a day or so...

Still playin' THAT old fuckin' tune huh Jarhead?! :S:P

If you're quiting then I guess you finally learned how to pack! B|

Sure am, Moses! How bout you? you still puffin' on them things? Care for a double or nothin'?

Pack? Hell I just pay people to do that for me now.:P

No, i dont drink or buy beer for religious reasons. I dont critize people for drinking, thats their freedom to do it.

but thats not a bad idea to buy gatorade for everyone.. i think i will do that when i get my A license!!

hopefully soon!!
"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

I'm a Russian skydiver who doesn't drink..much. It's almost a double paradox. :P

When there are opportunities to drink, I am usually driving. So, the desire not to leave my car anywhere + the desire not to rely on anyone else to get me home + the fact that I drink 1 or 2 drinks at most on any given outing keeps me pretty sober. ;)

No, i dont drink or buy beer for religious reasons. I dont critize people for drinking, thats their freedom to do it.

but thats not a bad idea to buy gatorade for everyone.. i think i will do that when i get my A license!!

hopefully soon!!

Remember: on a hot day, popsicles or ice cream can go just as far as beer.;)

hopefully soon!!

Yeah, but who ever heard of "popsicle goggles"? Nobody'd ever get laid. [:/]

hopefully soon!!

Yeah, but who ever heard of "popsicle goggles"? Nobody'd ever get laid. [:/]

No one ever said there couldn't be booze in the popsicles... liquor and fruit popsicles... mmmm

Chili Releno doesn't drink. He had a beer offense. He went to the store and bought beaucoup root beer and ice cream and made everyone a root "beer" float. They were fantastic.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I generally don't care for the taste and don't need the effects, so I rarely drink anything at all and then in tremendous moderation. No. You are not alone. Doesn't bother me, though.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

No I do not. Just starting jumping again 9 tandems last 12 months will be doing AFF soon. I can see I will not fit in after jumping as ceased as I hate alcohol. (I seen the results of it at work all the time) Not much point me ever turning up to a skydive camp cause I would be on the outer all week after dark. (Also a bit boring if every one else is drunk and your sober ) I am sure there are plenty of others like us.

I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??