Spatula

Neptune or Pro-track

The main difference it has is the interface. Meaning it has an anolog interface verses a digital interface for reading altitude.

I was thinking that was the primary difference, but could not remember for sure. I, too, prefer an analog readout, but will likely stick with my galaxy for awhile.

BTW I think when two electronic altimeters are used, it is a good idea to use two different manufacturers, so that should one be outside its ideal operating conditions, there is a higher liklihood that the other one will not be. In other words, it is less likely that both fail simultaneously.

For Great Deals on Gear

Please remind me what the Alti-track will do that the Neptune does not do? The only thing that comes to mind is a replay of the jump's altimeter display (in real time?).

I'm not very familiar with the neptune so I'm not sure if it does any of these functions or not, but some of the functions the Altitrack has that I really like are:
- Analog face (can't stand digital readouts)
- Student simulation mode for those aff dirt dives
- Replays previous jumps from exit to landing
- Tracks information during the canopy decent (finally I'll be able to see what my decent rate is on my hook!)

Like I said, maybe the neptune does some of this, but I have not had much experience with it. I've jumped one a couple of times but just can't get over the digital readout and it was hard to see at some angles. On a good note though they do have some kick ass customer service...my glow face galaxy has served me very well over the years, but it will be replaced with an Altitrack when they are released.

Hope this helps...
Miami

Looks cool, but how much will it retail for?
Would you pay $300 for it?

Not sure what retail is yet...guessing around $300. If that is correct I'm willing to bet it will be available here in the classifieds for less... ;)

But to answer your question...yes, I would definitely pay $300 for it.
Miami

I am very happy with my Pro-Track, but it has several limitations:

1. It can only store "complete" data for the last 10-skydives.

2. The computer interface uses a serial port, not usb.

3. It isn't water resistant.

Despite these limitations, it's a robust product, and I'd replace it
with another one if I lost mine.

Thats odd, they should store detailed information for the last 200 jumps...how old is your unit?

The pro-track, and the neptune, only store detailed graph data (accessible through paralog or such) for the last 10 dives. I believe that's what he's getting at.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I have a pro track (use it as an audible) and a neptune (use it as an altimeter)
The beeps of my pro track are much louder.

That's cause one's in your helmet and the other's on your wrist! :P Just kidding. My neptune is so freaking loud I need to make sure the speaker faces away from my ear, not toward it. A protrack might be louder, but it sure wouldn't need to be for me.

Dave

[reply
The pro-track, and the neptune, only store detailed graph data (accessible through paralog or such) for the last 10 dives. I believe that's what he's getting at.

Blues,
Ian

I did not know how many skydives the neptune kept all the data for but the new Alti-Trak will hold all the data for 400 skydives not just the last 10.
Kirk

I did not know how many skydives the neptune kept all the data for but the new Alti-Trak will hold all the data for 400 skydives not just the last 10.

Well, roughly 400...it will keep 6.5 hours of information (max of 15 minutes per jump, and that's freefall and canopy time) so if you do a lot of low H&P's it will hold a lot more, do a lot of birdman jumps or high pulls it will hold less.
Hope this helps...
Miami

I have both a Netptune and a Protrack. I use both daily.

The Neptune is by far the superior instrument, but the pro-track is cheaper.

Neptune is waterproof, is easier to use, and has more features. What else could you possibly ask for?

Downside to the Neptune is that it can be difficult to get it to connect to your computer over IR.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Downside to the Neptune is that it can be difficult to get it to connect to your computer over IR.

The only problem I ever had was when I had other apps running that were using the IP port.

That being said, I find the speed measurements on the Neptune to be odd...
Remster

I would seriously doubt that the average person would not be able to figure out and remember how to work the pro trak. If you want to look at the last skydive you just hit the mode button 1111 will flash on the screen then you hold the mode button down till it flashs 2222.

You think you would have figured that out without a manual?

-
Jim

Good point. I don't need my new rig's manual or Cypres' manual either.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I use my neptune as an audible...

Hi Dave,

Do you still use your neptune as an audible? I was thinking of getting one specifically for audible use. However, I've just spent hours searching old threads and it seems that nobody uses them as audibles but visuals instead.

Since it's now been awhile, I wondered if you still did this and how it is working out. Or would you have a different suggestion?