Spatula

Neptune or Pro-track

Neptune,it's waterproof, it logs past 119 seconds and it can download it's data via IR port and an IR cable is way less than the Protracks proprietary cable/SW pacakge that runs about $100.00. Neptune can be used as either an audible OR an altimeter depending on your needs, Pro Track is only an audible. Neptune also has adjustable canopy swoop alarms, Pro track does not. Firm ware on the Neptune can be updated by the user or a field rep, Pro track cannot.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I'm glad i bought my Neptune its fantastic!

I have a couple of Demo units that i have been letting people use and they are really impressed with them and have bought, or are going to buy one for themselves

Nigel
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

In the interests of voicing another opinion...I'd buy a ProTrack. Almost everyone I know with a Neptune has had problems with it: screens going blank, jumps not being logged, cases cracking etc. In theory having upragable firmware is nice but in practice it seems like it's resulted in a product being released before it was ready.

Alternatively, wait for the new line of L&B products.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Gus, Skydog, realizing that nothing is perfect and I'm aware of some people having problems with their Neptunes, I do know that Alti-2 has excellent customer service. Have the owners of the units that had problems contacted Alti-2? I will also say that L&B has excellent customer service as well. Both Alti-2 and L&B are mentioned in several threads here as to their going the extra mile for the customer.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Same that I have seen...nearly all of the neptunes I have seen have had problems of some sort. And I don't like the digital read out for an altimeter...much prefer the good ol' analog... ;)
Hope this helps...

Edit added in italics
Miami

Alti-2 will bust ass and break their back for you after you buy a neptune. I just sent 2 back to get the software updated, and the sticky buttons looked at and they both came back with new cases, buttons screens, and a spankin new battery!!!! You cant beat that.:)

Everything thats ever released has some teething problems, You see in the Newspapers over here that 'Sony' are recalling a particular TV, or 'Heinz' are recalling a batch of baked beans, unfortunately the number of people looking at buying Visual/Audible Altimeters is alot less than those buying TV's etc, But i'm sure you'll find that the number of people that have Neptune problems out of how ever many thousands have been sold, is pretty low!
It's unfair to say that Neptunes are no good and that maybe they were released before they're ready, but the only way something can really be tested fully is by having lots of people use it, this is when problems are highlighted, and Alti-2 have corrected those problems.

The latest Neptune firmwares are sorted and i haven't experienced any problems at all,
Alti-2 give a fantastic customer and they have Field Support Agents (like myself) available at DZ's all over the world to help with your Neptune problems.

If you buy a Neptune you won't be dissappointed!

Nigel
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

That is true...they do have great customer service, but it's really frustrating having something not work like it should. I've been jumping with a pro-track just about since the day it was introduced and the only problems I ever had with it were problems I caused (dropping it, stepping on it, etc.), and every time it was replaced for free with no questions asked. And I see no reason not to expect the same from the new line L&B has coming out soon.
Hope this helps...
Miami

Gus, Skydog, realizing that nothing is perfect and I'm aware of some people having problems with their Neptunes, I do know that Alti-2 has excellent customer service. Have the owners of the units that had problems contacted Alti-2? I will also say that L&B has excellent customer service as well. Both Alti-2 and L&B are mentioned in several threads here as to their going the extra mile for the customer.

I voted for Pro-Track because of my experience with Neptune. I am currently on my fourth one, which finally made it to 100 jumps, for reasons including bad screen, audible not functioning, and one that went totally haywire because the device that measures barometric pressure went bad. However, as LouDiamond says, my experience with Alti-2's customer service has been completely positive. They have been extremely responsive and helpful in replacing the units I had go bad. Maybe I've finally got one that will last, but I'm somewhat skeptical still.

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

Lou, yes, to be fair Alti-2 does seem to have a good rep for customer service. I also like the fact that they're doing cool and interesting stuff and when I've played with Neptunes on the ground I've been impressed with the interface and the options. But what I like most about my ProTrack is that over the course of nearly 1000 jumps it has given me exactly zero grief. None. Switch it on and forget it. The impression I have of Neptunes is that you cannot say the same thing.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I do realise that new things do experience problems. And would expect that to be a low ratio of units in the field.

But 100% (at our DZ) is a little too much.

I bought a pro-track just after they ame out and in over 600 jumps have had zero problems.

In all cases the owners have contacted the manufacturer, sent units back etc......

But if it came down to a choice it would be Pro-Track.

Bryn
Journey not destination.....

It might be just me... but I decided to wait until I had lots of practice looking at my Visual alti (and the Ground ;)) before I decided to get an audible.

I did buy a pro-track around jump 90 or so... and so far I like it... sometimes it won't register h&ps... but I assume that's because It thinks I've landed with the plane...

I like it so far... sooner or later I'll probably get another alarm (once I start swooping, but not for a long time...)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Neptune....So easy to use.

Never had a problem with mine.

I STILL don't know how to use a Pro track/ Pro dyter, and I taught myself how to use the Neptune without a manual.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

If memory serves me right the Pro Track needs 6 seconds of freefall in order to record the skydive.

At my DZ it seems to be a split on the ones that own the Neptune, some really like it others hate theirs and have had alot of problem. As for me I am a L & B fan, I currently own a Pro Track and will be ordering their Alti-Trak when it comes out.

Kirk

I demo'd the neptune for a few weekends of jumping.

I slightly prefer the analog gauge- did ok with the digital. I never did see the 'fun gauge' at the bottom though. The descent rate in canopy mode was very interesting and I think I could learn a lot using it. I don't trust the FF data though. I had about a quarter of the jumps reporting an average belly speed of 165 and a FF time that looked about 10 seconds short, while reporting 125-140mph speeds at the 4 checkpoint altitudes. Seems like it started late, though it did report the correct exit alt.

The combination of the protrack and the visible alti (and waterproof!) on the upcoming L&B model probably will be ideal for me, provided it doesn't have any first generation issues.

I've never used a protrack but I've seen a lot of other people use em. First of all, lots of people that own them have no clue how to use them. They read the manual once, set the audible altitudes, then never touch it again, not even to check the fallrate on the last jump, because they can't remember how and don't want to bother looking it up. I'm sure it's not so hard once you learn how to do it, but you do need to learn how to do it, unlike on a neptune.

The other thing I noticed about the protrack is the batteries. First of all they're much more expensive. I bought neptune batteries for $1.83 each (it takes one). The protrack has a couple tiny springs that come loose when the battery cover is removed. Easy to lose. With the neptune, the local field service member (me) has spares for all the lose parts...battery cover, all the screws, helmet mounting stuff, etc (even a few altimaster 2 and 3 spares).

I use my neptune as an audible, but I switch it to a visual altimeter using the backlight for night jumps. Works great (just don't use a very low battery for that...lesson learned the hard way).

I'm definitely happy with my neptune, and even the people I know that have had problems with theirs love it too.

Dave

I would seriously doubt that the average person would not be able to figure out and remember how to work the pro trak. If you want to look at the last skydive you just hit the mode button 1111 will flash on the screen then you hold the mode button down till it flashs 2222. Bingo there is your last skydive. Then if you want to change your preset altitudes you hit the mode button again or if you want to scroll back through your skydives you just hit the set button. The menu structure takes a little getting use to but not much. As for batteries, yes they are more expensive but the last about 3 to 4 times as long as the neptune batteries.
Kirk

I would seriously doubt that the average person would not be able to figure out and remember how to work the pro trak. If you want to look at the last skydive you just hit the mode button 1111 will flash on the screen then you hold the mode button down till it flashs 2222.

You think you would have figured that out without a manual?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

In the interests of voicing another opinion...I'd buy a ProTrack. Almost everyone I know with a Neptune has had problems with it: screens going blank, jumps not being logged, cases cracking etc. In theory having upragable firmware is nice but in practice it seems like it's resulted in a product being released before it was ready.

Alternatively, wait for the new line of L&B products.

Gus

I agree with Gus. I have a Neptune. I like it for swooping, as an alti, but that's it. It's log feature has failed me multiple times (logged way off of what actually happened, logged flights down in the plane, hell, when the battery, I replaced it thinking it would keep the data,... nope, wiped clean started back on jump 0.)

Not to mention that going through all of the screens to log the jumps is a hassle, everything is on one screen, and one button away to the next jump on a Protrack, that is not the case on the Neptune, I find it very inconvenient to log jumps from it.

Like I said, I like the Neptune as an altimeter, but if you are not using it on your wrist i'd get the protrack or wait for a new L&B product that can log for wingsuits.

jmho,
-A

I would seriously doubt that the average person would not be able to figure out and remember how to work the pro trak. If you want to look at the last skydive you just hit the mode button 1111 will flash on the screen then you hold the mode button down till it flashs 2222.

You think you would have figured that out without a manual?

-
Jim

Does it really matter? I don't have a manual and my boyfriend showed me how to use the Protrack in about two minutes. I can change altitudes and log my jumps with no problem. If once someone shows you about the 1111 2222 thing you can't figure it out, then you might have a problem getting a job at Burger King. It really is that simple and if you can't use the Protrack or don't want to take the 2 minutes it takes to learn how, then go ahead and use the Neptune, but the logging is really MUCH easier with the Protrack.

-A

So then you did have a manual, your boyfriend.

Look, both the Neptune and the Protrack are excellent products backed by top-notch companies, but when it comes to ease of use and an intuitive interface, the Neptune has the Protrack beat, hands down.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.