PhreeZone

Major or minor airframe repair?

I wonder if this is classified as a major or minor airframe repair? :D I'm pretty sure the N number is not of legal sizing.

Apparently a bear attacked his plane while parked in a remote field up in AK. He had not cleaned out the inside after a long fishing trip and the bear smelled it.
He had 2 new tires, 3 cases of Duct Tape and several rolls of cellophane delivered. Then went about repairing the plane so he could fly it home.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I gotta think that if you can fix it onsite with duct tape, then it would qualify as "Not a major repair"

It's just the fabric skin that's torn up, the frame looks undamaged (lucky for him - that bear could have destroyed the frame without too much trouble).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Duct tape, cable ties & WD40

You forgot the 'box of condoms'
'cause if you can't fix it using those three......fuckit
Generally you fuck it with a hammer;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

how did he fix the really fucked up looking horizontal stabilizer ?

I didn't even notice that at first but yeah that got pretty fucked up. I'm also seeing a bend in the frame behind the wings left side looking from behind right side looking from the front. Pretty much the side the bear really tore into it. Would still be flyable but a decent hard landing could collapse it. Nice use of duct tape though!
Stop looking at me

it doesn't look overly pretty but ultimately unless the underlying frame is damaged the skin can be repaired with duct tape (or more commonly aluminum speed tape) and something that helps with the air flow.

if I were the pilot (or the engineer signing off on the "repair") I wouldn't want to fly it like that any substantial distances however and would have some serious flight restrictions... :D

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...