SpeedRacer

do you tip the barber?

OK, in a restaurant, you pay for your food & then your tip pays for the waiter who serves it & gets stuff for you.

But why tip the barber? What did the cost of the haircut pay for, if not the barber's sevice?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Absolutely. $7.00 for the cut, $3.00 tip. My barber remembers me and takes his time to get it right the next time I see him.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

OK, in a restaurant, you pay for your food & then your tip pays for the waiter who serves it & gets stuff for you.

But why tip the barber? What did the cost of the haircut pay for, if not the barber's sevice?

Absolutely I tip the barber...without that small gesture, you never know. Catch him/her on a bad day, they decide to take it out on your head...:P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Yes, I tip every time, typically about $5 on a $12 haircut.

A part of the cost of a haircut goes to that barber's chair slot in the shop. Then again, I go to an old school barber. Good conversation before, during and after the haircut. All completed by a true barber that uses a straight razor to do your neck and clean up the edges around your ears. He'll even give your chin a shave if you ask, with a straight razor, hot shaving soap and hot towels.

I don't know how it is other places, but in Texas there are two licenses you can have. You can be a beautician or a barber. A beautician can graduate with her license with out ever cutting a man's head of hair. They're not allowed to use razors of any type (safety, straight or otherwise). A barber has to test for their license with a men's haircut and are allowed to use a razor. I don't need coloring, perms, layering or the latest CQ fasion cut. I want a good haircut by a real barber.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Your description makes me miss my barber in NYC. I cut my own hair (#1 clipper cut) from 2nd grade until age 24. I was in a rush one day and stopped into a barber shop and had it cut by Juan "Johnny" Diaz (Columbus btw 58th an 60th). I fell in love with the hot shave and straight razor. I was broke and paying for haircuts every two weeks that I had done myself for 15 years, but it was worth it just for the atmosphere. That went on for 3 years until I moved away from NYC and I haven't paid for a cut since then.

The best part about it was all the neighborhood folks that would stop in to say hello. He had people that had been his customers for 30 or 40 years who were now bringing grand and great grand kids for their hair cuts.
Killing threads since 2004.

Yes, I tip every time, typically about $5 on a $12 haircut.

A part of the cost of a haircut goes to that barber's chair slot in the shop. Then again, I go to an old school barber. Good conversation before, during and after the haircut. All completed by a true barber that uses a straight razor to do your neck and clean up the edges around your ears. He'll even give your chin a shave if you ask, with a straight razor, hot shaving soap and hot towels.

I don't know how it is other places, but in Texas there are two licenses you can have. You can be a beautician or a barber. A beautician can graduate with her license with out ever cutting a man's head of hair. They're not allowed to use razors of any type (safety, straight or otherwise). A barber has to test for their license with a men's haircut and are allowed to use a razor. I don't need coloring, perms, layering or the latest CQ fasion cut. I want a good haircut by a real barber.

Hmm, that's good to know! I usually go to a men's barber shop, but there were times in the past when I went to a Supercuts or something similar. Many of the women in those places do not know much about how to cut a man's hair. They will shear your sideburns entirely off, if you let them.

Note: No, I do not have big Elvis sideburns, just little ones that go halfway down my ear. A man's hairline should usually have at least a bit of shape there, but beauticians who are not trained to cut men's hair don't seem to understand that.
Speed Racer

You tip the bartender?

Yes, I tip the barber.

Well, with the bartender, the cost of the drink is to pay for the booze, and the tip is to pay for the bartender's service.

So then how do you fill in the blanks:

with the barber, the cost of the haircut is to pay for the ________

and the tip is to pay for the ______________
Speed Racer

I seldom tip for anything-don' believe in it. The price for service is the price. Sure i realize most work for tips-not my concern. Not to be rough or a hard ass-just don't do it. This whole tipping thing really astounishes me.
"You can't teach what you don't know and you can't lead where you won't go"