virgin-burner

the useless (but educational) trivia thread

The band 'Queen' originally wanted to call themselves 'Queer'. Their manager talked them out of it.

10CC was not named for the reason stated. That is urban legend. It was just a cool name proposed by their agent. Sorry.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Children have more taste buds than adults.

wow shermy, that is sooo very interesting, where ever could you learn that =D

I'm just smart like that. I know many useless facts, apparently brought to me by snapple, through some silly Jew:D
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

The terminal velocity of an empty beer can is not fast enough to hurt anyone.....

Like hell that's not useful information.;):P

My useless tidbit. Gravity isn't really a force, but a curvature in space-time we perceive as a force.

The A-10 Warthog's 30mm cannon firing produces more thrust backwards than both engines at full throttle produce forward.

An ounce of Gold weighs more than an ounce of lead, because it is measured in Troy ounces (12 to a Troy pound, BTW) instead of the usual Avoirdupois pounds we're accustomed to. A pound of gold weighs less than a pound of lead for the same reason.

The lead singer for the band Street Dogs used to be the front man for the Dropkick Murphys.

The 'Car Talk' show (on NPR) with Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers have a feature called the 'Puzzler', and their most recent 'Puzzler' was about the battle of Agincourt. The French, who were overwhelmingly favored to win the battle, threatened to cut a certain body part off of all captured English soldiers so that they could never fight again. The English won in a major upset and waved the body part in question at the French in defiance.

The 'puzzler' was: What was this body part?

This is the answer submitted by a listener:

Dear Click and Clack;

Thank you for the Agincourt 'Puzzler', which clears up some profound questions of etymology, folklore and emotional symbolism. The body part which the French proposed to cut off of the English after defeating them was, of course, the middle finger, without which it is impossible to draw the renowned English longbow. This famous weapon was made of the native English yew tree, and so the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking yew". Thus, when the victorious English waved their middle
fingers at the defeated French, they said, "See, we can still pluck yew! PLUCK YEW!"

Over the years some 'folk etymologies' have grown up around this symbolic gesture. Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say (like "pleasant mother pheasant plucker", which is who you had to go to for
the feathers used on the arrows), the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodental fricative 'f', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute are
mistakenly thought to have something to do with an intimate encounter. It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird".

The band 'Queen' originally wanted to call themselves 'Queer'. Their manager talked them out of it.

10CC was not named for the reason stated. That is urban legend. It was just a cool name proposed by their agent. Sorry.

This is an educational thread. http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/10cc.asp
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

The Hubble space telescope takes black and white, not color, photos. The color of the objects is determined by using different filters for each of several black and white shots, with each filter allowing light with only a limited range of wavelengths.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Blink 182 was named after the number of times the word fuck was used in the film Scarface.

thats not how i heard it, they originally were named blink, then they were threatened with a lawsuit from a irish/ scottish/ english (i cant rember the origin), or something like that band of a similar name, they threw the 182 on the end to shut the people filing the suit up.

''BLINK 182 - Blink 182 supposedly has NO meaning at all but the band fosters stories on origins. Sample: used to be just "Blink" but was threatened by a lawsuit from a little known Irish band with the same name, so they added the 182 which is the number of times the f-word was said in one of the members favorite movies.''

well ill be dammed, you jsut may be right :)
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

This is an educational thread. http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/10cc.asp

everything you could want to know about band names. . .

http://library.thinkquest.org/4626/rock.htm
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Laboratory female roaches are able to reproduce without aid of a male. They produce all female offspring:o

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

The A-10 Warthog's 30mm cannon firing produces more thrust backwards than both engines at full throttle produce forward.

Cool idea but not even close to true.

The A-10 does not slow down when it fires the gun - I have lots of friends that fly it, I've flown the sim and fought with/against it. Gun is just loud and shakes the jet, doesn't slow them down.

Cool idea but not even close to true.

The A-10 does not slow down when it fires the gun - I have lots of friends that fly it, I've flown the sim and fought with/against it. Gun is just loud and shakes the jet, doesn't slow them down.

Darn, that factoid was out of a book I read on Gatling guns written by someone who supposedly helped develop the gun. Anyone got the numbers to calculate the recoil of the cannon? Here's some stuff I found on the web.

A persistent urban legend is that the recoil force of the Avenger matches that of the A-10's engines and as such the plane would slow down, stall and subsequently crash if the gun was to be fired for long periods of time. While the cannon does slow the aircraft when flying at high speed, it cannot stop the plane in mid-air. The recoil force can be calculated by multiplying the muzzle velocity with the mass of the projectiles over ...

Thanks for the correction. It's always nice to hear from someone who's got the inside scoop.B|

Blink 182 was named after the number of times the word fuck was used in the film Scarface.

thats not how i heard it, they originally were named blink, then they were threatened with a lawsuit from a irish/ scottish/ english (i cant rember the origin), or something like that band of a similar name, they threw the 182 on the end to shut the people filing the suit up.

''BLINK 182 - Blink 182 supposedly has NO meaning at all but the band fosters stories on origins. Sample: used to be just "Blink" but was threatened by a lawsuit from a little known Irish band with the same name, so they added the 182 which is the number of times the f-word was said in one of the members favorite movies.''

well ill be dammed, you jsut may be right :)

I think the movie is "Heat". Anyone??
Always be kinder than you feel.

You can throw a penny off the empire state building and if it hits a person it wont harm them.

The green day video basket case was shot in black and white and the colour added later to give its surreal effect
Dudeist Skydiver #170
You do not need a parachute to skydive, you only need one to skydive again

If you ever get a bug in your ear (cockroaches and earwigs are the main culprits) do not try to use water to flush it out as the water will make it expand, making it more difficult to remove. Instead use a vegetable oil, drip in slowly and bug will often climb out. Even if it doesn't climb out it will die and stop trying to claw it's way through your ear drum, later to be extracted by a medical professional.

Somewhat useful info but some you never hope to use.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

I remember all the urban legends about the recoil of the 16 inch guns firing full broadsides pushing the battleships in the water.:)

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln