Squeak

Mechanic types

Jeeeze people ...... 3 F***ing pages just to get a chuffing exhaust off [shaking head ICON]

You folks MUST be bored.

:P:P

It's warm where Squeak is. Cold here. 6" of snow on top of ice with more to come. I'm bored. There is no life here in the winter. Actually, I really do not care if Squeak gets his nut off or not. Squeak getting his nuts off does nothing for me at all. I'm not at all worried that he will not be able to get a nut off. I'm sure he has gotten his nuts off many times. If he needs a hand getting a nut off, I'm sure Mrs. Squeak would be happy to lend a hand. Like most of us, I'm sure that Squeak had done it enough by himself that he might even have a personal technique to getting a nut off. Me, I personally prefer to splash my nuts with a little heat and then use my impact. Gets my nuts off every time.
Anyone else have a special technique?
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Filled plenty of rubber gloves with acetelyne on slow days at the shop.

A friend and I experimented with an acetylene and oxygen mixture, filling a 55 gallon vinyl garbage bag with the mixture till we got it right, poured a line of gas away from it, lit it from behind a tree and blew the ridge cap off a house almost a half a mile away, lol. Shook windows and rattled pictures on the walls of all the neighbors, lol.

TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

i've done balloons with a toilet paper fuse back in my younger and dumber days. the toilet paper can burn rather unpredictably;)
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

i've done balloons with a toilet paper fuse back in my younger and dumber days. the toilet paper can burn rather unpredictably;)

Years ago, on board ship we had an acetylene cannon made from schedule 80 pipe 8" nominal (.500 wall) (it was there years before I got onboard). The thing was freaking awesome at night. Great way to blast scrap at sea.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Years ago, on board ship we had an acetylene cannon made from schedule 80 pipe 8" nominal (.500 wall) (it was there years before I got onboard). The thing was freaking awesome at night. Great way to blast scrap at sea.

It's a good thing you guys don't spend your idle time "fucking around with high energy physics" like heating a bolt up with a battery.:P:S

Jeeeze people ...... 3 F***ing pages just to get a chuffing exhaust off [shaking head ICON]

You folks MUST be bored.

:P:P

It's warm where Squeak is. Cold here. 6" of snow on top of ice with more to come. I'm bored. There is no life here in the winter. Actually, I really do not care if Squeak gets his nut off or not. Squeak getting his nuts off does nothing for me at all. I'm not at all worried that he will not be able to get a nut off. I'm sure he has gotten his nuts off many times. If he needs a hand getting a nut off, I'm sure Mrs. Squeak would be happy to lend a hand. Like most of us, I'm sure that Squeak had done it enough by himself that he might even have a personal technique to getting a nut off. Me, I personally prefer to splash my nuts with a little heat and then use my impact. Gets my nuts off every time.
Anyone else have a special technique?

Yes, my special technique involves heat & wax: :o

Apply heat to your nut like normal, except you first apply wax to your nut while it's still hot before attempting to get your nut off.

:P
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Hi Jan,

gerry-rigging

For some unusual reason I have always disliked that term. >:(

JerryBaumchen

PS) As a 17 yr-old high senior with a '32 Ford 5-window, when I could not get the bolts/nuts loose that held the body to the chassis, I just bought two pair of ViceGrips. Worked quite well, been doing ever since if necessary.

Hi Jan,

gerry-rigging

For some unusual reason I have always disliked that term. >:(

JerryBaumchen

PS) As a 17 yr-old high senior with a '32 Ford 5-window, when I could not get the bolts/nuts loose that held the body to the chassis, I just bought two pair of ViceGrips. Worked quite well, been doing ever since if necessary.

I checked the spelling. It should be jury-rig.
How do you feel about gerrymandering?

What do you do for round top bolts? If you use the visegrips to rotate the screwdriver you can easily strip the head.

Squeak - another technique is to put your ratchet (spanner, wrench - whatever you call it down under) on the bolt head and gently tap the end of the handle with a hammer until the bolt breaks loose. You need to make sure the socket is deeply set on the bolt so you don't strip the head. Or you could use a cheater bar - but that has a big tendency to shear off the top of bolt. These are obvious, so I didn't mention them earlier.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Oh, forgot to say: A 6-point socket is a must! Put the usual 12-point socket/wrench on there & you're pretty much assured a rounded nut. B|

That's another good point.
I'd say that an open ended wrench would be better than a 12 point socket or box end wrench (also 12 point (english & metric), at least the ones I have).
Strange thing is - my English sockets are all 6 point, but the metric ones are 6 point below 14mm and 12 point above that.

If you notice any slipping that rounds off the edges of the bolt or nut - stop.

6 point socket with ratchet would be best.

What is the size of the bolt head that you are trying to remove?

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I have had good luck with my Metrinch set when the corners of the nut round off. A nice side benefit is that the tools work on both metric and inch size stuff. Name comes from "metr" metric and inch, metrinch.

YMMV
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

:ph34r:so i swapped out the old muffler for the new this morning
man was that a pain in the butt:ph34r:
little holes to try and get into to undo bolts.
3 manifold flange bolts that were loosened by the mechanic, well 2 of them were, one of them must have been overlooked or just ignored:S took me more than 30 mins to get it off, but i salvaged all bolts. and now i have a quieter car with less emissions:)yay me..:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

So you put the same shitty bolts back on?

yeah I rang the mechanic guy and asked what type i should get to replace them, he said, they were fine, just use the old ones, as the flange is non-load bearing.
I took a wire brush to them, cleaned up the threads and flange and they went back in fine.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Just giving you shit. ;)

that's cool, i think i covered all bases, it works and it's inlikely i'll need to change it again in the life time of the car:)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?