Squeak

Mechanic types

Pssst don't tell him about anti-seize

If I post this he will not give it any thought but if you guys mention it he might actually use that advice;)

So keep it quiet:D:D:D

And you can always start with a very small easyout to break it free so you don't totally trash the bolt.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

If I post this he will not give it any thought but if you guys mention it he might actually use that advice;)

We call it never seize here and i use it on all my stainless bolts on my bikes.
I look after my bikes so i tend to not need to do major surgery to remove anything.

The Magna was bought 2nd hand and already 15 years old so i am getting it up to spec endevouring to do what work i can myself, with limited experience on anything 4 wheeled.

So you'll need to excuse me for doing a bit of research before actually attacking something with a flame.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

So you'll need to excuse me for doing a bit of research before actually attacking something with a flame.

What a boring way to go through life :D:D

Well i'm not the only driver, the missus would go ballistic if i fried the car, that's way more of a risk than i am willing to take:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

We call it never seize here and i use it on all my stainless bolts on my bikes.
I look after my bikes so i tend to not need to do major surgery to remove anything.

The Magna was bought 2nd hand and already 15 years old so i am getting it up to spec endevouring to do what work i can myself, with limited experience on anything 4 wheeled.

Hey you could try soaking the nut and bolt in coke now in place by gerry-rigging a plastic bag around it to hold the coke.
Duct tape & plastic bags - hey it could work.
That would remove the external rust.
But I doubt it would penetrate into the threads because you've already used a water displacement lubricant.
Maybe worth a try as you do your research.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

What a boring way to go through life :D:D

Well i'm not the only driver, the missus would go ballistic if i fried the car, that's way more of a risk than i am willing to take:D:D

We are not asking you to give it a freakin Viking Funeral!

Just use the torch and heat the bolt until red hot, hit it with the impact wrench while hot.

Cutting it off is your last resort.

The flame will not even touch any part of the car other than the bolt, unless you are shakes the clown.

We are not asking you to give it a freakin Viking Funeral!

Just use the torch and heat the bolt until red hot, hit it with the impact wrench while hot.

Cutting it off is your last resort.

The flame will not even touch any part of the car other than the bolt, unless you are shakes the clown.

Jeez Randy quit while you are behind will ya mate:ph34r: No where did i say i would not try to use heat if you took the time to read what i did post, my preferred method is non destructive removal. Consequently i will try using heat before i destroy anything.
Go find another thread to piss in will ya:ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Damn man, He's trying to help you. Save yourself some time and stress. Heat up the fucking bolts and take them off. This is the non destructive method.

Or you can go ahead and break the first one off so you have something to do while waiting for the parts to get there.:D

Damn man, He's trying to help you. Save yourself some time and stress. Heat up the fucking bolts and take them off. This is the non destructive method.

Or you can go ahead and break the first one off so you have something to do while waiting for the parts to get there.:D

Chris did you even read my post,:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Heat was mentioned very early in the thread and at no time have i said i would not try it.
I did say i won t be connecting a battery to the bolt, but thats all i have excluded.

I have a small propane torch which will use, if the numerous days of penitrine don't work, if heating doesn't work i'll try a cut off wheel. Although i am limited for ground clearance under the car.
Randy has just been trying to ball bust because of the Decade thread:ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Chris did you even read my post,:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Heat was mentioned very early in the thread and at no time have i said i would not try it.
I did say i won t be connecting a battery to the bolt, but thats all i have excluded.

I have a small propane torch which will use, if the numerous days of penitrine don't work, if heating doesn't work i'll try a cut off wheel. Although i am limited for ground clearance under the car.
Randy has just been trying to ball bust because of the Decade thread:ph34r:

Propane is a waste of time, you might as well use a disposable lighter, get with the program OK?

I am not trying to mess you around, just listen to what I and others who know what they are talking about are telling you,

Geez you would think that none of us have ever done this.

I guess you never had a broken head bolt either, an EZ out might work on that but the easier thing to do was arc weld a longer bolt onto the remaining stub and hit it with heat, then use the impact turned up as high as you can.

got a picture?

What tools do you have? any air tools....compressor... electric ..grinder?

No pic but i'll get ya one.
i have a compressor and a 4" Electric Grinder.
I was asking about a die grinder before, do they come with (can get) cutting discs?

Yes they do, have you been living under a rock?

Get the disc and cut it off if you do not have a map gas torch.

Map gas gets to 1400°F quickly and they impact wrench should do the rest.

If it does not come off like that just cut it off, then re weld with a Mig welder

MAPP burns at 5301 degrees second to acetylene which burns at 5580 degrees,
He is right about the best method - heat it and bust it loose with an impact.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Propane is a waste of time, you might as well use a disposable lighter, get with the program OK?

I am not trying to mess you around, just listen to what I and others who know what they are talking about are telling you,

Geez you would think that none of us have ever done this.

I guess you never had a broken head bolt either, an EZ out might work on that but the easier thing to do was arc weld a longer bolt onto the remaining stub and hit it with heat, then use the impact turned up as high as you can.

Well if propane wont work I might as well take to cutting it straight away, if that fails take it to the local garage. because buying anything like a Mapp Gas torch will likely be more pricey than the garage.
The Garage will charge $90 to remove and fit.
I was mostly just wanting to do it myself for my own sake.

BTW I have had broken bolts but they were in alloy heads and an easy out worked just fine and in short order.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Oh, I know that. My career was in the welding field. Making and testing welds. I was just commenting on the heat range of the gas itself.
He's wasting time at this point. Splash the nut with some heat (you don't need a blow torch size flame, a small concentrated neutral flame will work just fine) and hit it with the impact. 10 minute job and you're done.
Neil Young

quit using propane, thats for cooking and lighting paper.

Ive been using propane/oxygen torches for over 20 years.

propane is cheap compared to other "torch" gasses and burns hot enough to tackle almost any automotive need.

here in rust country we use alot of heat....have propane/oxygen in every second bay.....(we have a oxygen genorator next to the compressors)...I deal with siezed bolts/nuts every day at work.

I can replace a average muffler assembly in 5 to 10 mins. but usually let the aprentices deal with shitty exhaust work ;)

>Any NONDESTRUCTIVE ideas on how to get them off?

A nut splitter is cheap and works well. Replacement nuts and bolts are also cheap.

It sounds as if the nut he wants to remove is on a clamp. Might be to tight to get a nutcracker on it. Heat and impact or use a breaker bar and a length of pipe for greater torque and then just snap the thing. Bolts and nuts are cheap. You probably have a collection of them anyways. Most of us do (usually every size but the one you need:P).
Neil Young