guppie01

Help Haiti

This is what I know:

All things considered, I live a comfortable life. I have all the things I need.

The people in Haiti are living on the streets because there are no shelters to go to. They have nothing more than the clothes on their backs and live with the dread and sorrow of losing their homes and loved ones from something they had no control over.

If I can send some money to an organization in the hopes that a blanket, bottle of water, medicine or even a clean pair of underwear can be bought for someone then I'm going to do it. I have faith that most people will do the right thing.

Maybe my donation will get pocketed by a corrupted official...at least I know I tried to help.

I agree. The way I see it, I have been way too lucky with life so far to not make an attempt at lending some of my resources to someone in need, regardless of whether they can or would even be willing to reciprocate given reversed circumstances.

touche sir. You proved me wrong. However, pledged and donated are very different. I'll count the donations but I'm not counting the pledges since there is nothing stating whether they actually delivered.

How very gracious of you:S:S:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I have an idea. Give your donation to the US Treasury. No reason you can't give the government
a donation.

Since a lot of our aid will be done initially by the military, our state dept, etc. You will be indirectly
giving aid to Haiti through our government and don't
have to worry about your donation not getting to
the people. Of course you might not trust our government not to skim some.:D

Your donation will buy fuel for the ships and airplanes delivering aid; Miliatary, state dept and etc.
personel salaries; food; water; medical supplies; and etc.

It's fairly widely known that very few oranisations actually pass on all the monies collected, every step of the ladder seems to take their piece of the pie.

Yes, I know that. That's why I'd like to make an informed decision before I pick a charity to donate to. If he knows something about this specific organization, I'd like to know it. And, it's not really fair to the organization to just throw that kind of statement out there without any backup.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

Doctors Without Borders is quite highly regarded. Red Cross is as well, but it's not clear if they send money donated for a specific cause to that cause, or into the general fund.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

The Red Cross is probably the organization I'm going to go with. :)

I donated to Doctors Without Borders/Medecins Sans Frontiers.

You can specify your donation is for Haiti.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

if you donate at the Red Cross website, you can direct your donation into any of a number of different directions, including Haiti, domestic-only, local-only, international-only, etc.

There is also an option for "wherever the need is greatest." Generally for a reputable charity, I use that one. Because, frankly, they're in the job of knowing where the need is greatest.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Morning peeps.

Didn't mean to stir up so much poo... It's just such a desperate situation, and it makes my heart ache - if I can help I will.

Doctors without borders gives the option of specifying a project. The have had a large presence in Haiti for many years. Sadly all three of their hospitals in Port o Prince have been destroyed. At the moment they are still trying to rescue/recover their own people.

I saw that... [:/]

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

A commercial pilot/skydiving friend passed the following:

AMERICAN AIRLINES is taking doctors and nurses to Haiti for free. If you knowanyone who would like to help in this way, the number to call is 212-697-9767.

Apparently that rumor is false: http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/01/14/twitter.hoax.haiti/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

From AA :

"Last night's hoax on Twitter about American and JetBlue flying doctors and nurses to Haiti for free was just that -- a hoax. We do not know who is responsible. We cannot fly any passengers to Haiti at this time," he said.

They are however flying supplies, unfortunately the airport in Haiti is taxed. There is no ramp space, or fuel.

Additionally AA is offering miles to members for monetary donations.

[:/]

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
OMG, is she okay?

A commercial pilot/skydiving friend passed the following:

AMERICAN AIRLINES is taking doctors and nurses to Haiti for free. If you knowanyone who would like to help in this way, the number to call is 212-697-9767.

Apparently that rumor is false: http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/01/14/twitter.hoax.haiti/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

Thanks for posting that. I took it as true because it came from a commercial pilot. Go figure.

The ports aren't much better either.

Serious structual damage to the piers, and flooding. It's going to be difficult for deep sea / commercial vessel's to get in to offer assistance.

g
OMG, is she okay?

I can't fucking believe Pat Robertson said that this disaster was the work of god! What a douchebag!

Back in 2005 he even said that Katrina was Gods way of punishing homosexuals and pro-choice people!

Someone explain this to me!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't fucking believe Pat Robertson said that this disaster was the work of god! What a douchebag!

Back in 2005 he even said that Katrina was Gods way of punishing homosexuals and pro-choice people!

Someone explain this to me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything is the work of God..... I think he said it was because the people of Haiti signed a pact with the devil to help them remove the French colonialists back in about 1800 or so.

If he was a Christian, I would expect him to be committing some of his financial resources, etc. to helping the people of Haiti. But no, he's basically saying that they had it coming. Nothing like kicking the poorest people in the Western Hemisphere while they are down. There aren't words adequate to convey my contempt for that thing named Pat Robertson.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I've already spent 4 months there trying to help that country. It's full of people who won't help themselves or force their government to change. On my second trip there, not a thing had changed or improved during the 5 years between trips.

This even has probably put them back even further but really won't affect their standard of living much. The big difference now is they are sleeping outside temporarily inconvenienced by the presence of dead people. Sad thing is that the stench of the dead probably isn't enough to overcome the stench of the shit that permeates everything in Port-Au-Prince.

While I do think that the situation is very sad, I won't be donating. It won't make a difference.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

I think with all the support coming in no one will go hungry once order is established. So money will probably not be needed. However I like the organizations sending new clothing and shoes which are in dire need and thats what I am supporting.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Guys, don't get this thread sent to SC. This is a donation thread; if you want to help, that's great. If you have issue with the government or its people, talk about it in SC.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I've already spent 4 months there trying to help that country. It's full of people who won't help themselves or force their government to change. On my second trip there, not a thing had changed or improved during the 5 years between trips.

This even has probably put them back even further but really won't affect their standard of living much. The big difference now is they are sleeping outside temporarily inconvenienced by the presence of dead people. Sad thing is that the stench of the dead probably isn't enough to overcome the stench of the shit that permeates everything in Port-Au-Prince.

While I do think that the situation is very sad, I won't be donating. It won't make a difference.

I agree STRONGLY!!!

Mama. I know this kid. He shoots it straight.

Thanks Andy!
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

I see you understand, it is not a nice thought but it is the truth.

That place needs a clean slate, unfortunately that is,t going to happen unless it falls into the ocean.

Look at the land from aerial photos, go to the CIA fact book, the western side of that island is brown, not green like the DR, they chopped down almost every tree and raped the land.

No we did not do that to them, they did.

We cannot save those who will not save themselves.

That place needs a clean slate, unfortunately that is,t going to happen unless it falls into the ocean.

I've long thought the gov't of Haiti should be dissolved, and the territory should be made part of the Dominican Republic.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

And here we have another opinion pulled straight from the ass!

I suggest (i) you read up on the histories of the DR/ Haiti and the wars between them; (ii) understand the difference in cultures (Hint!: one is a Latinamerican country, the other is straight out of Africa); (iii) and maybe, just maybe, spend a decent amount of time in either country outside the tourist ghettos (e.g., AI resorts, Labadee).

After that, let's revisit your suggestion...

I've long thought the gov't of Haiti should be dissolved, and the territory should be made part of the Dominican Republic.

SC already has that thread. But you're welcome to join it

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)