ZigZagMarquis

Super Bowl XLIV Half-Time Show

I have to agree on both accounts... Carry Underwood totally blew the national anthem and the WHO are so old I cant believe they can still stand.

It is time for the NFL to take off the panties and understand that the public might be OK with someone that is a little racy...

Grace Slick was right.

Rockers over 50 just look stupid.

:P

:D

:P Sadly, she was absolutely right this time. Some of these old farts just need to gracefully sit back and bask in their legendary past. I saw Foreigner several years ago in Tampa. It actually was a good show but the way Mick Jones was rocking out I was hoping they had an ambulance backstage (just in case).:)

It was pointed out that the songs The Who played were the theme songs from the CSI shows which are also aired on CBS.

Sounds like "Wont get Fooled again" would be an apt song:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It was pointed out that the songs The Who played were the theme songs from the CSI shows which are also aired on CBS.

Sounds like "Wont get Fooled again" would be an apt song:D:D:D

Or Whoooooooo are you? :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I don't think its the age Tom Petty rocked last year the who just sucked. Oh and the chick who sang the national anthem sucked.

Yeah, the Who sucked (and I was a big Who fan). The aging rockers that do the best are (IMO) the instrumentalists, like guitarists, which is why, e.g., Clapton and Knopfler and David Gilmour can still hold their own.

But if your principal instrument is voice, the simple fact is that your instrument degrades with age. At that point, you need to perform within your age-altered range. Petty sings within his current range; Daltrey does not. These Who songs were written for 20 year old voices; when they're performed by 60 year olds, they crash and burn.

I don't think its the age Tom Petty rocked last year the who just sucked. Oh and the chick who sang the national anthem sucked.

Yeah, the Who sucked (and I was a big Who fan). The aging rockers that do the best are (IMO) the instrumentalists, like guitarists, which is why, e.g., Clapton and Knopfler and David Gilmour can still hold their own.

But if your principal instrument is voice, the simple fact is that your instrument degrades with age. At that point, you need to perform within your age-altered range. Petty sings within his current range; Daltrey does not. These Who songs were written for 20 year old voices; when they're performed by 60 year olds, they crash and burn.

Well, the Who's main punches were Daltrey's voice, and their overall exuberance and fight against the establishment... Combine today's Daltrey lack of range and power, and Tonwshend general lack of energy (he didnt smash anything this time, did he? lol), and you aint got much.

They were great. Their songs are still great. But its time to call it a day and go off in the sunset.
Remster

Agreed. Roger Daltry had one of the greatest voices in rock'n'roll. But it isn't there anymore. The songs are still great, but i was hearing the vocals from 25 years ago (anybody else remember the Montreal show that was on HBO?) in my head.

And was Pete Tonwshend really playing that guitar??
Some of the windmills seemed a little out of synch to me. But I hope I'm wrong.

However, the light/laser/pyro show was fabulous. The idea that the entire display could be set up and torn down, with no damage to the playing field, in that short of a time frame was impressive.

I especially liked that they didn't do the fake "audience" on the field this year.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I was pretty much ripping on them last night myself. But, to be fair, I think a huge part of it was technical difficulties. With Roger Daltrey especially, it seemed like he just couldn't hear himself at first. I think the first 2/3 of their set was essentially a sound check. By the end, they actually sounded great. At least they were actually performing live and there wasn't any lip syncing. I'll take them over the Brittenys, Janets and Justins any day!

I think Pete Townsend actually got the fingers of his picking hand stuck in the strings on one of the windmills, at least that's the way it sounded and he did have a slight "oops" grin on his face afterward.:ph34r: Roger Daltry lost the beat on part of his harmonica solo.[:/] Pretty sad for the most part.

The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Grace Slick was right.

Sadly I was on a load and missed the halftime show :( .

But this seems to be a bit of an ageist thread! Maybe someone needs to found OFROPS (Old Fart Rockers Over Phorty Society).

Remember, "you don't quit doing the Super Bowl halftime show because you get old--you get old because you quit doing the Super Bowl halftime show!"
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Grace Slick was right.

Sadly I was on a load and missed the halftime show :( .

But this seems to be a bit of an ageist thread! Maybe someone needs to found OFROPS (Old Fart Rockers Over Phorty Society).

Remember, "you don't quit doing the Super Bowl halftime show because you get old--you get old because you quit doing the Super Bowl halftime show!"

I don't know- I am all in favor of OFROPS in general. Most of my favorite bands qualify and can still put on a great show.

Technical difficulties or not, the WHO's performance last night was pretty sad (although they had a good finish.) Most of the comments here are justified. They looked like they would be more at home at Dennys enjoying the early bird dinner special.

Well, the Who's main punches were Daltrey's voice, and their overall exuberance and fight against the establishment...

They were great. Their songs are still great. But its time to call it a day and go off in the sunset.

Remster.....Let's not forget Keith Moon and Entwistle as main punches. Ox played an awesome bass guitar and Keith Moon...one of rock's greatest drummers and larger than life madmen!!!

Personally, I wish the Who had disbanded when Moon died. Without him, they aren't The Who...just like Led Zeppelin isn't Led Zep without Bonham. I saw The Who in 1968 on their first North American tour as headliners...still one of the greatest concerts of my life. Without Moon especially, they aren't The Who.

I'm tired of all the geriatric half time acts ... Springsteen, Petty, the Stones ..McCartney..Christ will he ever go away? They are all from my generation but I wish they could use someone from today.

Last night, The Who were better than I expected. I was hoping Pete would end it with a few bars of My Generation, smash his guitar and walk off the stage. A final act of defiance and rebellion. That would have been awesome!!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

... I was hoping Pete would end it with a few bars of My Generation, smash his guitar and walk off the stage. A final act of defiance and rebellion. That would have been awesome!!

Yeah, when Townshend unslung his guitar and turned back toward the amps, I had a moment of hope that he'd do just that.:P

But he didn't :(

And I had to explain to everyone under 40 what I was laughing about>:(
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Grace Slick was right.

I've always loved The Who, but half the original band is DEAD. Also loved The Grateful Dead, but I don't go see any of the "Dead Guys" retread bands either. I don't even know who "the kids" are listening to anymore - or care.

HOWEVER, there are a few rare & notable exceptions, Neil Young and Paul McCartney come to mind. But the rest of them are an embarrassment.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Grace Slick was right.

I've always loved The Who, but half the original band is DEAD. Also loved The Grateful Dead, but I don't go see any of the "Dead Guys" retread bands either. I don't even know who "the kids" are listening to anymore - or care.

HOWEVER, there are a few rare & notable exceptions, Neil Young and Paul McCartney come to mind. But the rest of them are an embarrassment.

I went to see Neil Young at USF in Tampa around '91 or '92. He was touring with "Sonic Youth" and some other head-banging band. Everyone at the concert was either over 40 or under 16. Probably a good marketing move on his part. (I was surprised to find myself entertained by the younger groups.):)