Andy_Copland

American Police Procedure

So what does it mean if a cop takes your details but doesn't give you a ticket, he said he was cutting me loose and to go straight home?

Will i get a surprise one "AHA! Thought you got away with it eh sonny Jim!"

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Bit more than fairly if nothing comes of it.

it also means you are on their system, if you get pinged again you will have a history
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

"Cutting you loose" usually means that he doesn't want to go through all the paperwork involved in citing or arresting you. So he's giving you a break and letting you go

"Go straight home" usually means you've been a bad boy and if he sees you again the slack he is cutting you will disappear and you will probably go to jail.

Taking your details is so that he can run your info, make sure you aren't wanted for anything (warrants), checking your arrest history (if you have been arrested before for the same thing, your chances of getting a break go down fast) and noting who you are so if your name shows up again that night, they will know you didn't "go straight home" (see above).

You should be fine, but if the same cop sees you doing the same thing anytime soon, plan on hearing the "I gave you a break, why didn't you learn" speech as you are riding in the back of the car.;)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Nothing's going to come of it... trust me! He ran your information and it came back 'no wants or warrants'. He writes it down as a 'contact' and you and he go your separate ways. No big deal!

Ya' got away with whatever... this time!:)

Chuck

Good stuff. Glad my first offense went down under "Copeland."

I made sure he got my 2nd name correct this time with no E as I was sitting there going "Oh crap, hes gonna see my driving with no license ticket last summer"

I gotta get a chauffeur.

How the hell do you keep getting away with getting pulled over, and NOT have anything bad happen?

I got a ticket for not having a front license plate the other day. No warning.

You are an illegal immigrant with no drivers licence and the cop gives you a break. :D Good to see where my tax dollars are going!!! Cincy cops must be a lot nicer than ours up here.

BASE 1384

He was most likely verifying your identity, checking you with NCIC and verifying that you were not a wanted person, etc.

It is 100% normal. If you are legally detained (you're the driver in a traffic stop for instance), then that officer has the legal right to identify you. Name, birthday and address (typically) are asked, if a valid state issued license isn't presented.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

How the hell do you keep getting away with getting pulled over, and NOT have anything bad happen?

You are an illegal immigrant with no drivers licence and the cop gives you a break. :D Good to see where my tax dollars are going!!! Cincy cops must be a lot nicer than ours up here.

I got done in Fla doing 75mph in a 55 zone and when i handed him my australian Licence he said.. "slow down sir" have a nice day:)

Here in OZ they would have Hammered me, $750 fine and probably loss of licence
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I got done in Fla doing 75mph in a 55 zone and when i handed him my australian Licence he said.. "slow down sir" have a nice day:)

Here in OZ they would have Hammered me, $750 fine and probably loss of licence

i wish you got hammered my ozzi friend, now get me some tim tams! =D
IHYD

In the little town of Sumner, just a few miles North of us, I've been pulled over for speeding twice in the past year, once in a snowstorm. No Ticket.B| They just ran my license and plate, pretty ordinary suburban guy. I did get a ticket in town this month for an expired registration on the car. Damn if that didn't just fall through the cracks, what with 4 cars and all. $125 ticket, but I'll see the judge next month and have heard they usually reduce it to $10 if you show up with your papers in order.

Shroppy, if you don't get a ticket right then and there, there's no surprise later. :)

What did he pull you over for? I find it strange that a cop would tell you to go home after a traffic stop.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

If you are legally detained (you're the driver in a traffic stop for instance), then that officer has the legal right to identify you. Name, birthday and address (typically) are asked, if a valid state issued license isn't presented.

This takes me back. I was something-teen and forgot to bring my dl with me. I was pulled over for taking my seatbelt off while pulling into a gas staion (really had to pee). The officer must have seen that I was obviously scared to death and had me sit in the front seat of his cruiser. He then angled his laptop towards me and showed me where my license number was on the screen. He said "you have 3min to memorize this number". He never gave me a ticket for the offence, but now I wear my seatbelt until the vehicle motion has stopped, and I can still tell you that license number to this day even though I've had a different state license for about 4 years now.:D

ETA- He even let me go pee before he started questioning me.
Muff #5048

I got done in Fla doing 75mph in a 55 zone and when i handed him my australian Licence he said.. "slow down sir" have a nice day

If he would have actually known you, that would have been a tasering!

:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What did he pull you over for? I find it strange that a cop would tell you to go home after a traffic stop.

Maybe make easier for ICE to pick him up with out him being involved for paperwork? :ph34r:
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

Because im not a hoodlum like you Sir >:(

I just have a way with people, remember the Ohio Department of Safety or whatever the fuck it said on his hat? That was some talking! :ph34r:

Because im not a hoodlum like you Sir >:(

I just have a way with people, remember the Ohio Department of Safety or whatever the fuck it said on his hat? That was some talking! :ph34r:

haha you gained some style points that afternoon, this is true. :D

Was that a screengrab from my movie?! I want photo credits biatch!
BASE 1384

Because i was driving sexy.

Now that's funny. :D:D Sad thing for me though. This caught me by surprise. I have been away from the sport far too long. I'm becoming mundane.:|

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

it also means you are on their system, if you get pinged again you will have a history

If you have a license, SSN, et al...you're already in the system.

Collecting info is usually to ping against something they're on the look out for, or see if there is anything worth the paperwork...yada yada...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!