cocheese

Shuttle launch Friday

Who will see it?

I failed to make arrangements to get there.:( There are only 2 launches left after this one.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html

Used to be able to jump as the shuttle launched @ SSC. 911 killed that[:/]
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

It’s certainly feels like launch day here at KSC, with the sense of heightened anticipation and excitement among the workforce and visitors alike!

Tanking began early this morning, completed at 7:56 a.m. and we are currently working toward the planned T-9 min. hold. The flight crew is strapped in, the hatch is closed, and we are ready to go at 1420 EDT.

Beautiful blue skies above, with scattered clouds and weather is looking good at 70% for today’s launch.

Here's a video of the Payload Bay inspection by the flight crew prior to the Payload Bay Door closing. This is my area, with all the Space Station payload items. This flight is also carrying the Russian MRM1 Module, one strange-looking beast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D726gnLQ7I

To see the “Legacy of Atlantis” check out this video from NASA:

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?collection_id=14554&media_id=13779348

Go Atlantis, Go STS-132!

Kevin K.

Put some blue panels on it and it is a big R2D2. :)

We've been calling it the "Party Module", because of the beer keg strapped to the top.;)

Yep, after 25 years of working as a NASA contractor, 17 on the shuttle directly, I finally saw my first shuttle launch. It was, to be perfectly honest, absolutely stunning.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

We left Tampa around 1:00 and got within about 30 miles of the launch on a hillside looking to the east. What an incredible sight. It was like a huge roman candle in the middle of the day as it streaked out over the Atlantic. Well worth the drive.

From my driveway, 90 miles away, we can normal see a tiny red glow with a huge contrail, but wanted to get a little closer this time.

A previous launches that we watched, from across the river, about 5 miles or so away, was a night launch. I would have paid to watch it again. The last up close day launch that I saw from the Bee Line Highway was the Challenger!
Dano

Here's some video I shot of the previous launch - the 6:21am one.

http://www.facebook.com/PeterShankman#!/video/video.php?v=382626186673

One of the coolest was a sunrise launch. Silver streak reflecting the sun. Watched Challenger blow up. One of the saddest days of my life. [:/]

Yep, after 25 years of working as a NASA contractor, 17 on the shuttle directly, I finally saw my first shuttle launch. It was, to be perfectly honest, absolutely stunning.

Wendy P.

S, how did it feel watching all that polution getting forced into the atmosphere?

What exactly is the carbon offset for a launch like that?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Wendy P.

S, how did it feel watching all that polution getting forced into the atmosphere?

Need to ask Al G. on that one

Yep, after 25 years of working as a NASA contractor, 17 on the shuttle directly, I finally saw my first shuttle launch.

You sound like me, having lived in Florida my entire life and never been to the Keys. :$ I met a woman recently who lived on the water there for quite some time and did NOT recommend it...sewage. :(
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I think you'd be surprised by the actual amount...

The main engines are fueled by liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen. No carbon there.

The Solids burn for 2:20, are mostly rubber and make large amounts of inert solid waste as exhaust.

Git yer tongue out of your cheek and dig the power. That thing ain't Mattel. It is bad-ass, raw power and a marvel to behold. I defy you to see a launch up close and be as jaded as you put on.

jon

I think you'd be surprised by the actual amount...

The main engines are fueled by liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen. No carbon there.

The Solids burn for 2:20, are mostly rubber and make large amounts of inert solid waste as exhaust.

Git yer tongue out of your cheek and dig the power. That thing ain't Mattel. It is bad-ass, raw power and a marvel to behold. I defy you to see a launch up close and be as jaded as you put on.

jon

I was just yankin' Wendys Chain a little - It is more carbon intensive to prepare for the launch than the launch actually is. There are environmental concerns, but I'm not really worried about the 32 tons of solid debris from the boosters.:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I was just yankin' Wendys Chain a little - It is more carbon intensive to prepare for the launch than the launch actually is. There are environmental concerns, but I'm not really worried about the 32 tons of solid debris from the boosters.:ph34r:

and I was just yankin' yers back :P