Thanatos340

the new Avatar movie opens tonight...

Anyone actually going to see it??
I love a good (Or even Bad for that mater) Sci-Fi/Fantasy Flick more than most, However the previews for this just do not appeal to me at all... All I can think of is WOW!! I can go pay $10 to WATCH a cheesy Video game. Uhhh.. No Thanks.

Cant figure out why so many people are excited about this movie. Can anyone here explain it to me?

James Cameron?? You mean the guy that is mostly responsible for Celene Dions resurgence a few year back? That alone is reason enough to boycott him for life.

Yes his Movies make a lot of money and generally are pretty good.

But this latest one.. I just think it looks too much like looking over someones shoulder while they a play Video game.

I am sure it will make lots of money and people will talk about how innovative it is, I was just curious if anyone else out there saw the previews and thought "Wow, I gotta see that movie".

Personally I think I will just grab a 12 pack and head over to one of my supergeek friends house and say "Can you play WOW and Battlemech at the same time and merge them on one monitor for 2 hours, Here is $10. Same thing far as I can tell from the previews.

Besides.. We all know he just stole the idea from Eric Cartmans "Dances with Smurfs" book anyway.

"Avatar" is not simply a sensational entertainment, although it is that. It's a technical breakthrough. It has a flat-out Green and anti-war message.

Great.... I stand corrected. It will be like watching a "PREACHY" Video Game over someones shoulder.:S

"Avatar" is not simply a sensational entertainment, although it is that. It's a technical breakthrough. It has a flat-out Green and anti-war message.

Great.... I stand corrected. It will be like watching a "PREACHY" Video Game over someones shoulder.:S

I heard there were going to be guest cameos by Al Gore and Michael Moore.:D:D:D

Evidently Al is a general that "invented" the new system at the heart of the movie and MM is the fat blue guy.:o
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Cant figure out why so many people are excited about this movie. Can anyone here explain it to me?

Nope, because I don't get it either. Zero interest.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Nope, because I don't get it either. Zero interest.

Well, I've seen it, and I do understand why people are exited by it.

The effects and the visuals are flat out incredible. Anyone that says it's like computer game graphics either took the wrong prescription glasses to the cinema, owns a games console sent back in time from 2065, or is just mouthing off without having seen the film and therefore having no basis to make a judgement.

Look, the story is OK. The dialogue is fairly solid wityh occasional dips. The main characters are decent enough (though the supporting cast is nowhere near fleshed out enough) and it doesn't have any scenes that are really cringeworthy. But none of that even matters, because the way it looks is utterly amazing. And I'm not even talking about the set piece battles. the hour or so the two main characters spend exploring the world is worth the price of admission on its own. This is a film that deserves to be seen on the big screen. Take a chance.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Just got out of the movie and agree with jakee. FYI - I would pay $10 US to see it.

I, also, think I may have come up with a great Halloween costume. >:(:);)

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

OMG! OMG! OMG! It was epic. I was almost hoping to hate it because of how hyped it was but I just couldn't. I had to love it. The story was so so but it worked. The only complaints I had were minor technical ones with the 3D which is in no way the filmmakers fault. It completely cemented my decision to go to school for visual effects and 3D animation.

P.S. If you have the option of seeing it in IMAX 3D, do it, it is worth the extra cheddar. I just don't see how a standard screen could pull you in as much as the massive IMAX.

Edit: After taking time to actually read what the question was I'll add that the only way it seemed video gameish to me is in the concept area. I was convinced the visuals were going to be too video gamish and were going to distract from getting pulled into the story. I was absolutely wrong. If you are willing to forget about how video game like the concept is and believe in the characters you are presented with you will get pulled into the story and enjoy the movie. Just my .02. I may have to edit this after I find a better way to explain the point I'm trying to convey.

I could be wrong but my guess is that there is some issue with the projection that is causing it, not the movie itself. At my theater there was about a minute of the movie that made everyone's eyes hurt because they screwed something up.

Do you remember what the news said the issue is?

P.S apparently this was common place back in the day of having to sync 2 separate reels of film. People would puke from motion sickness. [:/]

I heard on the news this morning that the movie is making some people ill.

Yeah, Titanic did that to me. But it was probably because I had 16-year old girls on every side, and they were so busy crying loudly, I couldn't hear much dialogue.

I remember a few friends getting motion-sick at movies when the "shaky camera" thing became popular. A few of my friends actually ran past me, and out of the theater at the beginning of Dancer in the Dark. I imagine less people will be made sick from the 3-D effect. I hope I'm not one - seeing it tonight, 3-D IMAX.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

From a Yahoo review:

"The new technology they've been using to eliminate the headaches and sickness conducive to old 3D tech has not been used properly in the action scenes throughout 'Avatar'. The problem is with cutting in between 3D focal points and perspective - the mind cannot adjust to it without a buffer - thus, 'Avatar' is literally vomit inducing."
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I saw it last night and while the effects were really outstanding, I could do without the propaganda. If I had wanted to go see propaganda film I would have stayed home and rented a Michael Moore movie :S:S:S

There are no pessimists in skydiving.

My Advice: It's worth what you pay for it, and I'm an expert at it.

Wired's review calls it "Dances With Wolves" re-tooled. Over-all very positive review.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

calls it "Dances With Wolves" re-tooled

Well, that just erased any lingering doubts about whether I'd go see it. Now I have even less interest. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I think they were using a mix of two camera set up and 1 camera setup with image mapping to generate 3D. The 1 camera is cool since it give you the ability to alter the DOF and focal plane on the fly in a single scene.

On that note they are using the mapping technology right now to remake Titanic in 3D and Lucas cleared them to do at least some scenes from the original Star Was in 3D. Creative Cow magazine had a really good write up of the program last month.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I am looking forward to its DVD release with caution. I find I am either way into these movies as others with similiar tastes, or completely do not understand what the fuss is about.

Call me silly, but I like "the process" of making these types of things--especially if one is familiar with the actors' mannerisms. It is very different than animation-supported voices (which I also love).

Having said that...

This is a film that deserves to be seen on the big screen.

I still do not understand the "big screen" allure.

I much prefer the cost, convenience and quality of home--not to mention less chance of catching airborne viruses from an enclosed room of heavily breathing strangers.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

This issue with home viewing is at least for now you still can't do 3D at home. As DSE pointed me to yesterday BluRay 3d was finally made official this week but you'll need one of the new LG 3D tv's to use it.

Some movies really need to be seen on the big screen to get the full experience. I'll go to the mid afternoon showings where there are only 10 people or so in them to catch those showing since its a much more personal feel at that point.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com