Thanatos340

That he was against the idea of the technology being used to say, bring Marilyn Monroe back to life . . .

Aw, but it was hilarious in Terminator: Salvation when they brought a young, naked Arnie back to life. :D

I'm glad I went to see Avatar when it first came out, without having heard anything about it. I didn't find it to be preachy, and maybe it was supposed to be, but I wasn't focused on that sort of stuff. I did get somewhat of a religious/spiritual message from it, but I didn't relate it to any particular religion that exists (animism, perhaps?). Anyhow, I was just able to enjoy the story without caring too much about any big message that it was supposed to be sending.

I didn't get to see it in 3D though, so now I'm wanting to see it again with the full effect.

the 3D was really nice - and it doesn't really strain the eyes any more with whatever they did this time

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

That he was against the idea of the technology being used to say, bring Marilyn Monroe back to life . . .

Aw, but it was hilarious in Terminator: Salvation when they brought a young, naked Arnie back to life. :D

I'm glad I went to see Avatar when it first came out, without having heard anything about it. I didn't find it to be preachy, and maybe it was supposed to be, but I wasn't focused on that sort of stuff. I did get somewhat of a religious/spiritual message from it, but I didn't relate it to any particular religion that exists (animism, perhaps?). Anyhow, I was just able to enjoy the story without caring too much about any big message that it was supposed to be sending.

I didn't get to see it in 3D though, so now I'm wanting to see it again with the full effect.

The only numbnuts who seem to be seeing it as preachy are the same ones who think that the continued rape and pillage of this planet is great for their business... and will have no consequences.

The only numbnuts who seem to be seeing it as preachy are the same ones who think that the continued rape and pillage of this planet is great for their business... and will have no consequences.

That's not exactly true, Avatar is kind of a Rorschach test. Religious people like the Catholic Church see it as anti-religion and pro-naturist. Some military folks see it as anti-military. Some conservative folks see it as anti-business.

That's not to say that Cameron didn't have a view point that actually is clear, but I'm sure if a person was paranoid and vain enough about their particular view point in life, they'd find a way to somehow tie it into the movie either pro or anti even if the message was never intended.

That is, however, part of art. Most art can be seen from more than one point of view.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

That's not exactly true, Avatar is kind of a Rorschach test. Religious people like the Catholic Church see it as anti-religion and pro-naturist. Some military folks see it as anti-military. Some conservative folks see it as anti-business.

That's not to say that Cameron didn't have a view point that actually is clear, but I'm sure if a person was paranoid and vain enough about their particular view point in life, they'd find a way to somehow tie it into the movie either pro or anti even if the message was never intended.

That is, however, part of art. Most art can be seen from more than one point of view.

So basically.. yes.. its the usual suspects.:ph34r::ph34r:

I took it more as a cop-out of a good metaphor. That anyone is actually taking these messages as anything other than gimmicky plot devices for Cameron to make money is laughable. Remember that this isn't 1984, Fahrenheit 451, or even I, Robot. It was written as a film to make money by James Cameron who's JOB it is to make money from film. Sci-Fi Films that come from books are delivered (hopefully) from the angle that the message is first. Even George Lucas had a purist sci-fi movie in THX 1138. So here in Avatar land we have a convenient mix of modern personal-societal-military-economic cliches. There's a love story, there's the peaceful indigenous nature lovers, there's the one-dimensional military killers, and the machine of the whole story is human-kind's greed.

The message in Sci-fi has always been an important one which when boiled down is usually about government or business having unethical control over the moral individual. Sometimes this message is strong as in any distopian storyline, sometime it just makes for a good bad guy like Vader.

So, is it important that these messages are out there? Yes, they're just not very creative. It's about as new as Bush-bashing (he's an idiot, let's move on to something new). The good part is that even though these cliches are annoying they're at least making the viewer think "I don't think it's like that. I don't want it to be like that. I will prove that it's not like that." And when that soldier, politician, voter, businessman is in that very similar situation in which the issue is money vs. life then this comparison is more obvious to him and to the people around him.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I went to see it again last night in 3D (RealD). The 3D effect was fairly subtle (not the "jumping out of the screen" stuff I might have expected), but it was definitely worth seeing again in that format.

I still couldn't be bothered with all of the "controversial" stuff that people keep talking about with this movie. To me, it's a touching love story with some cool sci-fi/fantasy stuff, and it's highly entertaining to watch. I just think it's a great movie. I've left the theater both times with a big smile on my face. :)

I went to see it again last night in 3D (RealD). The 3D effect was fairly subtle (not the "jumping out of the screen" stuff I might have expected), but it was definitely worth seeing again in that format.

Cameron intended for it to be subtle. There are very few instances of things suddenly being thrust at the eyes of the audience as has been done all too often in hack 3D films. The idea is to be immersive, not distracting and I think he does it very well. Think about how often you "think" about living in a 3D real world as you go about your daily life. My guess is, not very often, it just naturally is in 3D and you forget about it. Cameron's 3D gives you a lot of subtle cues but doesn't try to hit you over the head with them and I think it's pretty appropriate.
quade -

The idea is to be immersive, not distracting and I think he does it very well.

I agree. I thought the 3D was very tasteful and appropriate for that film. The RealD just gave it a more, well, "real" feel, without being over the top.

Now, for the Alice in Wonderland trailer that they showed, I'm thinking I might want to go see that in IMAX 3D, since it would probably be more fun in a more exaggerated style.

Now, for the Alice in Wonderland trailer that they showed, I'm thinking I might want to go see that in IMAX 3D, since it would probably be more fun in a more exaggerated style.

Yeah, I've worked on a couple of promotional bits for it and Burton is definitely tossing crap at the camera. "Alice in Wonderland" has always been a drug induced fantasy dream world, so I'm not even saying that's inappropriate, but there will be a LOT of stuff poking you in the eye.

Which reminds me of something I don't think I've written about in regards to 3D lately; individual audience members can modulate the amount of 3D effect they experience by their choice of seating in the theater.

All other things being equal, in any given theater, the closer you sit to the screen, the more pronounced the effect will be. A "proper" IMAX theater has a HUGE screen and the audience sits much closer to it which I think accounts for what some people see as IMAX having a more intense effect.
quade -

Hey Jay, good to see you typing again. Look forward to the spring at the farm this year. I hope you will come out and say howdy, when I head that way again.
Its a good day to LIVE, why puck up a good thing.

There is no reply in aad section for. " hell no i would not put an AAD on my back"

Have you seen it yet, Krisanne?

I finally caved in today and saw it in 3D. I don't usually go to sfi-fi/fantasy/action/military movies in any combination, but I wanted to see this one to see what the fuss was all about.

Was it the best movie I've ever seen? No, I couldn't even figure it out for the first half-hour and I lost interest in some of the fight scenes. Visually it's something I've never seen before and overall the storyline was engaging and good. I really enjoyed the tree-hugger aspect of it. I'm glad I went and don't feel I wasted my money, but I also don't feel I need to see it again.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I finally caved in today and saw it in 3D. I don't usually go to sfi-fi/fantasy/action/military movies in any combination, but I wanted to see this one to see what the fuss was all about.

I'm glad I went and don't feel I wasted my money, but I also don't feel I need to see it again.

Same here. I saw it in IMAX 3D, and I thought it was very well done, but it's really just not my kind of movie. For about the last half hour or so I was wondering when it was going to end. Glad I went, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (given that I generally hate movies of this genre), but don't have any desire to see it again.

Did you ever see Aliens?

First part was kinda crap. Second was excellent. Third was crap. Fourth was kinda funny, more like "good old stuff".

How about The Terminator?

First part was crap. Second was good. I didn't see the third.

Titanic?

Never seen it, but from what I heard from others seems to be an extreme piece of crap.

My wife liked Avatar though.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

The movie has now held the #1 spot for US box office for seven weeks in a row. In that time it has become one of the highest grossing movies of all time, will certainly be the #1 grossing movie in a very short while and hold that position for a number of years.

It didn't get there based on my opinion. It got there based on the opinion of millions of movie goers across the entire planet.

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, but . . . if you haven't seen it yet, then how the hell can you know?
quade -

I was amazed that even this last weekend it was still playing to sold out audiences at every weekend showing around here on both Imax and regular 3d Screens. I wasn't expecting to see sold out signs up for the showings up to 2 hours before the showing.

It was released just a bit too late in the year and had a bit too much harsh language (PG-13 rating) to really hit parents in the pocketbook with all the merchendicing that could have happened from it if it was released in September for the Christmas toy season. I hope that Cameron got the majority of the merchandise rights on this one....
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Cameron owns the IP, not the studio. He's powerful enough to cut the right kinds of deals. I certainly wouldn't worry about his pocketbook. ;) The Avatar franchise will continue on for quite some time. Last Christmas isn't an issue. Next Christmas will be HUGE!

quade -

Thanks to all who have made comments on this thread.

Especially to Quade. I went with a friend and her younger son (pre-teen). He hadn't wanted to see it in 3D because he was a little intimidated by the previews.
Knowing that the 3D wasn't going to "throw stuff off the screen" and following the advice given about sitting a bit further back, he was willing to give it a shot, and we all had a wonderful time.

The 3D is amazing. The only parts that really "jump off the screen" are the raised hands in the crowd scenes and the "floaty tree seed" thingys.
The rest of it (as has been said) is far less obtrusive, and mostly makes the environment seem more "there".

The plot is totally predictable, the dialogue is cliched and the characters both. The corporate head, the colonel, the soldiers (the door gunner screaming "Get Some" is straight out of Full Metal Jacket).
Calling the stolen "helicopter" "Rouge One" is from "Star Wars - Empire Strikes Back".
You knew that Jake was going to ride the Tourek the minute you heard that her grandfather had done so.

And on and on.

And none of that mattered.

The experience overrode the shortcomings. By a huge margin.

I may well go see it again, mainly to look for stuff I missed. I haven't seen a movie twice in the theatre in a very long time.

I highly doubt I will ever watch it in 2D or on a small screen. That would take enough away that the shortcomings would be too much.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I am looking forward to its DVD release with caution. I find I am either way into these movies as others with similiar tastes, or completely do not understand what the fuss is about.

Verdict: WAY into it.

So good! So good! So good!

I eat my words and am so sorry I did not see this in the theatre, though I am still unsure about the 3D...it was perfect quality in 2D at home, though, and magnificent sound.

SO good. :)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

When I say a movie is worthy of seeing on the big screen, I mean it. ;)

I'll add that it's ONLY worthy of being seen on a big screen.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher