ridestrong

My new toy!!!!

it frees up airspace, usually ram air intakes are wider and allow better airflow into the motor.

(i think thats what you meant)
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Another issue for some, is that the cold air intake could sit low, and suck up water when running over water puddles. This causes hydrolock, and destroys the motor. There are air bypass valves which fix this, but that adds about another $50 in cost to the cold air intake.

Hence why CAI are meant for the track. I laugh when I hear someone bragging about their cai. It's usually a short while before they cause serious damage to the motor.

Stick with the short ram.

pretty much.

or they seal it in a tight chamber in the wheel well, thus minimalizing what air gets to the intake, and effectively undoing everything the air intake was meant to do, lol.

ive seen that done on a few mustangs, haha
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

unless it goes somewhere outside the engine bay its not a cold air intake. as far as i know

or at least takes air from airbox ducting from outside the HOT engine bay....most kits I have seen installed take the stock(ducted to outside air) air box and toss it aside to have the filter sit in a HOT engine compartment sucking in HOT air.

Ridestrong

I am not familiar with the application you are dealing with...does that mod use the existing airbox or does it have its own sealed to outside air system?

on that note...RAM air http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram-air_intake

There's really no point in doing it any other way . . . is there?

Sure there is. Even a ram air intake is much better over stock. Free flowing and easy breathing. Some may not be able to easily bolt in a cold air intake due to other custom changes to the body work and/or under the hood. The cold air intake is a lot of tubing snaking across the top/front (LS series) of the motor. Like on the LS, some accessory drives may interfere and there may not be room above it to route the tubing.

Still better than stock.

I think there's a company making old-school shaker intakes for the new Charger, I know someone makes it for the Challenger. Now THAT is cool.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

ive never heard of a warm air intake, all i know of was a short ram, ram, and cold air intakes.

thats what id call a ram air intake. unless it oges somewhere outside the engine bay its not a cold air intake. as far as i know

Ram air is generally for forcing air into your intake (think hood scoops that are actually ramming air into your intake)

Cold air (CAI) is for something thats pulling the air from outside the engine compartment.

Some people call the warm air intakes cold air, but it really should be either warm or cooler air (cause its cooler than the temp in the engine compartment).
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

ive just never heard of a warm air.

ive always heard of hood scoops and stuff like that called forced induction systems.

To me anything that is a "forced" air requires exhaust gasses or an extra belt...

well, does driving down the road at 80mph not force more air into the system than when it is standing still?

and yes i include turbos and supers in that.

Boys...

lets not forget about a true cold air sustem using a intercooler...

:)

There are a few out there that run that setup in Kafer Kup style setup Super Beetles, with a 2332 or bigger Type IV that's turbo charged. They're pushing 300hp in a beetle. Oh what an imagination and money will buy...

Boys...

That's one of my next purchases B|

my next car related purchase will be a new car. lol

Boys...

There are a few out there that run that setup in Kafer Kup style setup Super Beetles, with a 2332 or bigger Type IV that's turbo charged. They're pushing 300hp in a beetle. Oh what an imagination and money will buy...

or just swap out a porsche 911 motor :D:ph34r:

Well, does driving down the road at 80mph not force more air into the system than when it is standing still?

At Mach speeds; absolutely.

lol. ok ill turn this into a skydiving reference so you will get the picture. walk outside, now feel the wind against your face, rember this. now go jump out of a plane, and belly fly youll be doing avg 120mph, am i right? now rember that wind. its a little stronger/louder is it not? :)

Boys...

Its been done and it is actually more expensive with a VERY extensive job of making it all fit and work. Its actually easier to do a complete Subaru swap with radiators and all.

Boys...

Its been done and it is actually more expensive with a VERY extensive job of making it all fit and work. Its actually easier to do a complete Subaru swap with radiators and all.

ohh i know. ive seen it once or twice, dont know the actual cost but since it involves a porsche motor i figured it wouldnt be cheap.

but its a matter of principal, in the end you still have a porsche motor in a beetle! ;)

never thought of the subaru swap. but then again i dont deal in beetles, so yeah. . . lol. i do like the idea though

Forced air is something like supercharger or turbo chargers, that actually pump air into your intake.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

A Type IV is a Porsche swap. It was used in the 914. The Type 1 has a LOT in common with the Porsche 356.;)

Then again, I'm a VW Ubergeek with a custom German Look '73 1303 that I'm building in my garage.:)

Boys...

That's one of my next purchases B|

my next car related purchase will be a new car. lol

Ha, nice. I'll have my car for a while, but I'm ok with that. It's a fun little buggy with a lot of potential. B|

A Type IV is a Porsche swap. It was used in the 914. The Type 1 has a LOT in common with the Porsche 356.;)

Then again, I'm a VW Ubergeek with a custom German Look '73 1303 that I'm building in my garage.:)

thats awsome. all ive owned was honda del sols, so those are my forte.

all i knew was people have put porsche motors in a beetle, only seen one done ONE time, and that was at a drag strip, so all we knew was it was a porsche motor and it was fast as all hell. lol