ridestrong

My new toy!!!!

BAH, 10hp gain, you get that much from a Honda R sticker...

Go big or go slow:

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/view.php?pcat=25

I do eventually intend to supercharge it... but for now the K&N intake, new exhaust system and a air intake sensor chip all together will hopefully give me a 40-50 hp boost.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Boys...

lets not forget about a true cold air sustem using a intercooler...

:)

There are a few out there that run that setup in Kafer Kup style setup Super Beetles, with a 2332 or bigger Type IV that's turbo charged. They're pushing 300hp in a beetle. Oh what an imagination and money will buy...

or just swap out a porsche 911 motor :D:ph34r:

Its been done and it is actually more expensive with a VERY extensive job of making it all fit and work. Its actually easier to do a complete Subaru swap with radiators and all.

Since you guys are on the subject about the Subaru swap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES2l6nWj_68&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

lol. ok ill turn this into a skydiving reference so you will get the picture. walk outside, now feel the wind against your face, rember this. now go jump out of a plane, and belly fly youll be doing avg 120mph, am i right? now rember that wind. its a little stronger/louder is it not? :)

Keeping with your skydiving example, how much more easy is it to breathe in freefall? Not really all that much no matter how wide you open your mouth.

I think you'll find that at most street legal speeds (hey, we have a cop in the thread) that the amount of air being sucked into the engine by the down stroke of the pistons is still the major contributor unless you're talking about a huge funnel and even at that it's only giving you more power at the higher speeds rather than when you need it; off the line or out of the corners.

What is far more efficient is to hook up a machine of some sort to force the air into the engine by sucking in MASSIVELY more air than would otherwise be available.

There are two major ways of doing this;
1) A "fan" (actually sort of interlocking screws) mechanically coupled to the engine itself. This is a super-charger (aka blower). You'll know you're listening to a super-charged engine when you hear a sort of constant wheezing even at idle. It's main advantage is in the very lowest speeds and right off the line.
2) Turbines (also a type of fan, but more like ones you find in vacuum cleaners). One turbine is hooked up to the engine exhaust and it drives another that crams air into the engine. These are turbos. Generally speaking, not efficient at lower RPM and take a small amount of time to "spool up" (just like a jet), but are nicer and more efficient at high RPM (the exact opposite of the super-charger). They are also generally simpler to install and don't require a mechanical connection to the engine to work.

One of the issues with both is that in cramming the air into the intake, it also heats it up. The more the pressure, the higher the increase. Unfortunately, this also decreases the amount of air that can be packed into the cylinders. What's really nice in an extreme case is to also be able to cool that high-pressure air so more can be packed in. That's what all this intercooler talk is about.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Boys...

lets not forget about a true cold air sustem using a intercooler...

:)

There are a few out there that run that setup in Kafer Kup style setup Super Beetles, with a 2332 or bigger Type IV that's turbo charged. They're pushing 300hp in a beetle. Oh what an imagination and money will buy...

or just swap out a porsche 911 motor :D:ph34r:

Its been done and it is actually more expensive with a VERY extensive job of making it all fit and work. Its actually easier to do a complete Subaru swap with radiators and all.

Since you guys are on the subject about the Subaru swap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES2l6nWj_68&feature=youtube_gdata_player

damn.

do want.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I do eventually intend to supercharge it... but for now the K&N intake, new exhaust system and a air intake sensor chip all together will hopefully give me a 40-50 hp boost.

I didn't think it was possible to rice out a charger.

Congrats.

Congrats.

Oh please, some minor mods is hardly ricing anything out. If he put on some huge spoiler, spray painted his interior plastic, used sponsor stickers, etc, THEN I'd say rice. :D

What is far more efficient is to hook up a machine of some sort to force the air into the engine by sucking in MASSIVELY more air than would otherwise be available.

haha yeah, obviously.

all i was saying was that it does force SOME air into the system. over standing still.
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Congrats.

2005-2009 Chrysler/Dodge 5.7L Hemi Systems

....................... Power ....... Torque

06-07 Stock...... 340 HP..... 390 lb/ft
with Vortech..... 432 HP.... 471 lb/ft

No rice... just steak and potatoes!

Congrats.

twin charge it.

2005-2009 Chrysler/Dodge 5.7L Hemi Systems

....................... Power ....... Torque

06-07 Stock...... 340 HP..... 390 lb/ft
with Vortech..... 432 HP.... 471 lb/ft

Congrats.

Oh please, some minor mods is hardly ricing anything out. If he put on some huge spoiler, spray painted his interior plastic, used sponsor stickers, etc, THEN I'd say rice. :D

Well he could always go this route:
http://www.madwhips.com/upload/images/26_inch_rims_on_a_custom_dodge_charger_1-568-426.jpg

Or if he got really bored, he could go this route:
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID4824/images/logo(232).JPG
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

Congrats.

http://www.madwhips.com/upload/images/26_inch_rims_on_a_custom_dodge_charger_1-568-426.jpg

holy................................shit...............

Congrats.

Well played sir. :-D
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Congrats.

OH my hell

Is the porsche engine you are talking about a type 4? I have heard good things about converting them to air cooled, much stronger than type 1s.... My brother is about to do a 1.3 mazda wankel conversion on his 72 super beetle, should be good for 225hp at least.
Here is a sweet rotary bug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmo6N1Op7wI&feature=fvw

You are failing to mention the difference between a positive displacement (roots) type blower, and a gear driven fan compressor (procharger) type. The second is basically a compressor taken from a turbo, and converted to run from the crank. Both can make some big HP!!

As far as ram air goes, at least with motorcycles, the slowest that they become active (at least used to be) was with the kawasakis, at around 120mph. Most others need to be in the 130-140mph area. I have heard that at 180mph, they are getting about 2psi of boost measured at the intake manifold, which is outstanding in my opinion. Typical gains are 15-25hp....
You gotta remember that this is with many many hours of engineering, it is unlikely a rigged up box with a hole in it, that faces forward, is going to have similar results.

Congrats.

Times have changed. The traditional "hot-rodding", 6-71 blowers, and salivating over the PAW catalog for that cam/lifter combo with enough overlap to get that sweet glunk glu-glunk sound is gone. It's usually the 50+ crowd that does any type of street machines nowadays. And they are disappearing. The new way is the "riced up" cars for the serious types. And the equivalent of the JC whitney catalog types of yesteryear? Those high wings and cheezy stickers.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

No rice... just steak and potatoes!

Slapping on a short ram and exhaust system is one step away from ricearoni.

That step is the fake sponsorship stickers.

Hahaha.... coming from someone who has a 'screen name' after the rice burner of motorcycles. :D:D:D