Andy0689

Mirage Ad

Food for thought: why was this ad (the original panty-dropping ad that started this discussion) not okay, but no one has a problem with any of the ads run to promote boogies?

Just something to consider. Ad for a business (product) is protested, but ad for another business (event hosted by a DZ) is ignored. I won't point out any single boogie ad -- just the ads in general.

A boogie is a party, so an ad reflects the party atmosphere, as well as the larger than usual aircraft support. That's why people go to boogies, to jump a lot, and for the after hours parties. So the ads are directly on-point to what people expect.

For a rig ad though, people should buy a rig because of reliability, comfort and performance. So I would think people would expect discussion about the merits of the rig, and not cheap sexual innuendo.

So these are two completely different things. A rig is not a party.

How odd that a company making something that is supposed to be meticulously produced has a spelling &/or grammatical error in almost every ad!

I don't mean to be a grammer nazi, but come on... If something is being published you should probably give it a proof-read by an English major or at least a high school graduate.

"Mistake-prone" is not a good quality to associate with a rig manufacurer, unless they're doing this for attention as well...?

Food for thought: why was this ad (the original panty-dropping ad that started this discussion) not okay, but no one has a problem with any of the ads run to promote boogies?

Just something to consider. Ad for a business (product) is protested, but ad for another business (event hosted by a DZ) is ignored. I won't point out any single boogie ad -- just the ads in general.

A boogie is a party, so an ad reflects the party atmosphere, as well as the larger than usual aircraft support. That's why people go to boogies, to jump a lot, and for the after hours parties. So the ads are directly on-point to what people expect.

For a rig ad though, people should buy a rig because of reliability, comfort and performance. So I would think people would expect discussion about the merits of the rig, and not cheap sexual innuendo.

So these are two completely different things. A rig is not a party.

In that case, don't buy the rig. By that argument, I still see no need to protest the running of the ad. Either the image is offensive or it isn't.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

This entire forum goes out of its way to be offensive, but thats what makes it fun!
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

Depends on the panties.
:P

Size 8?

I DID NOT SAY THIS!
But can't figure out why 80% of the girls were ready to send me another nastygram about how horrible of a guy I am?

Never the less....here is an odd one.
1) Maybe it worked? After all you guys are talking about the company? So maybe it was a well thought out advert?

2) OK so it's easy to sell to guys. I wonder how the company could sell to girls? They say sex sells, and it does.....but guys are only 50% of the market. Does sex sell to women?
Maybe some sort of dormant bisexual nature?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Does sex sell to women?
Maybe some sort of dormant bisexual nature?

of course it does. i'm a gigolo on the weekends.
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

The reason I think this is a bad ad is because the page is not clearly a single page promotion. The page appears to be a standard top/bottom split because the top portion of the page (the DC3) doesn't have any connection to the bottom portion (white background, black print) other than the enigmatic "Here's for the crybabies..."

In re the PG rated previous ads: sex sells. Look at any magazine, watch any TV program. I say the ads are not risque enough. Maybe the foot fetishists bought into the first ad, or the panty pirates, but I think if one is going to use sex to sell, make it something that's worth the effort. ;):)

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

but guys are only 50% of the market.

Actually, in this sport, it's about 80%.

Sadly yes. But then let's step back, if 80% of this sport are dudes and sex sells very well with respect to dudes then....why not?

Why spend money going after the 20% of the pouplation when you can spend the same and go after the 80%?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

It gives the crybabies in this world something else to whine about.

And it gives you the chance to say that, so that you can feel better about yourself. How sad.
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

>For a rig ad though, people should buy a rig because of reliability, comfort
>and performance.

Yep. And they should buy beer that tastes really good, that's economical and that's readily available. Thus the commercials should show only brewers discussing the finer points of the mash to demonstrate how they make excellent beer that is still affordable.

But instead they sell Bud Light with swimsuit models. Not because they want to piss you off, but because it works.

Vince, the photo actually belong to an article in Blue Skies Mag - it is not a part of the Mirage ad (although the placement is no accident ;) ).

The article titled "Freefall Sex" is brilliant though, so you'll just have to find someone with a copy of the magazine to check it out - or as SkyGod would say - man the fuck up, support that little magazine and subscribe ;)

Blue ones,
Kolla

Blue Skies Magazine

In that case, don't buy the rig. By that argument, I still see no need to protest the running of the ad. Either the image is offensive or it isn't.

It gives the crybabies in this world something else to whine about.

Now you pissed off John Rich too!:S

In that case, don't buy the rig.

As I said before, I don't really care about the ad one way or the other.

By that argument, I still see no need to protest the running of the ad.

I'm just offering the alternative voice in this debate - that of the fuddy duddies, who often are too shy to speak up against the sharp words of the coolies. For evidence of that, just look at the posting right above this one, complete with a personal attack.

Either the image is offensive or it isn't.

There is no "one size fits all" judgment on the ad. It's in the eyes of the individual beholders, and since there are many beholders, there are also many different ideas about the appropriateness and effectiveness of the ad.

if 80% of this sport are dudes and sex sells very well with respect to dudes then....why not? Why spend money going after the 20% of the pouplation when you can spend the same and go after the 80%?

Because you should be able to appeal to the 80% of men, without ostracizing the 20% of women. You can do both. Pissing off 20% of your customer base, is not a good marketing strategy.

>Pissing off 20% of your customer base, is not a good marketing strategy.

History has shown that it does indeed work very well. (Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is open for debate - but in terms of selling product, it works.)

I can't recall the companies right now, but several have used the ad grab line, "not for everyone" ...

Attached is my idea of a good advertisement. It shows a dramatic photo, accompanied by explanatory text, that explains why a rig that WORKS is most important. Not a rig that's pretty, or a rig made by a company that uses sex to make people feel cool.

Cool ad. I think I'll print it out poster size and post it in the loft.

Because you should be able to appeal to the 80% of men, without ostracizing the 20% of women. You can do both. Pissing off 20% of your customer base, is not a good marketing strategy.

80 > 20
If I had X $ and needed to sell Y product. I would advertise to the 80% not the 20%. If half of the 80% buy my goods I will do better than if all of teh 20% bought my goods.
That and well.....some girls may like this advert?

History has shown that it does indeed work very well. (Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is open for debate - but in terms of selling product, it works.)

Advertising is intended to grab peoples attention. For 3 months in a row Mirage have been posted about on probably the largest website in their marketplace and maintained virtually front page status on the forum for a substantial portion of that time. That is very good marketing. Even people knocking the ads are not questioning the quality of the product (haven't seen a single quality complaint).

I realise that the USA is far more conservative than Europe but the ads haven't been very sexual and I doubt the number of people offended is as high as 20%.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Advertising is intended to grab peoples attention. For 3 months in a row Mirage have been posted about on probably the largest website in their marketplace and maintained virtually front page status on the forum for a substantial portion of that time. That is very good marketing. Even people knocking the ads are not questioning the quality of the product (haven't seen a single quality complaint).

I realise that the USA is far more conservative than Europe but the ads haven't been very sexual and I doubt the number of people offended is as high as 20%.

My bet is even below 5 percent...

Advertising is intended to grab people’s attention. For 3 months in a row Mirage have been posted about on probably the largest website in their marketplace and maintained virtually front page status on the forum for a substantial portion of that time.
I don't mean to brag, but I had that status for a while! And thought I'm now allowed in the ladies side of the forum....I think I may be top 10 there as well?

Mirage,
Hi I'm Shah, Just got my A. If you wish I could advertise for you on this page any time any day. All it will cost you is one complete system! :)I can verify my effectiveness via the various threads and nastygrams I have received over the past year. I can even suggest a good name for your next line of equipment. The Shah! ;)