Andy0689

Mirage Ad

Advertising is intended to grab people’s attention. For 3 months in a row Mirage have been posted about on probably the largest website in their marketplace and maintained virtually front page status on the forum for a substantial portion of that time.
I don't mean to brag, but I had that status for a while! And thought I'm now allowed in the ladies side of the forum....I think I may be top 10 there as well?

Mirage,
Hi I'm Shah, Just got my A. If you wish I could advertise for you on this page any time any day. All it will cost you is one complete system! :)I can verify my effectiveness via the various threads and nastygrams I have received over the past year. I can even suggest a good name for your next line of equipment. The Shah! ;)

shaped like an Egg?

>OK, they diffinitly have my attention, but they pissed it all away by not
>giving me a single reason why I should buy a Mirage.

Doesn't matter. You just posted on the most popular skydiving website in the world about Mirage. Someone else will read your post and look at the ad. Some will be offended. Some will want to buy a Mirage in hopes of "getting some." Most won't care - but will see the Mirage name again. And the next time they go to buy a rig, they will put Mirage on their list of rigs to consider.

And that's why it works.

>I can't recall the companies right now, but several have used the ad
>grab line, "not for everyone" ...

Stone Brewing. "You're not worthy" and "you can't afford it" are on the box. Copy on the bottle:

"This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory --- maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beer will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you’re mouthing your words as you read this."

Advertising is intended to grab peoples attention...

That's only half the battle. OK, they diffinitly have my attention, but they pissed it all away by not giving me a single reason why I should buy a Mirage.

Really? I would imagine that currently in the harness and container section, Mirage are probably getting the higher number of hits as people who are in the market research their offering.

I really doubt in this marketplace that there is any substantial difference between containers.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Stone Brewing. "You're not worthy" and "you can't afford it" are on the box. Copy on the bottle:

"This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory --- maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beer will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you’re mouthing your words as you read this."

Arrogant Bastard... My favorite beer!:)
I believe you have my stapler.

shaped like an Egg?

Sure why not!
It would be cool!
A container with a big :)
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Advertising is intended to grab peoples attention...

That's only half the battle. OK, they diffinitly have my attention, but they pissed it all away by not giving me a single reason why I should buy a Mirage.

Really? I would imagine that currently in the harness and container section, Mirage are probably getting the higher number of hits as people who are in the market research their offering.

I really doubt in this marketplace that there is any substantial difference between containers.

I'm just thinking that anyone in the market for a system already knows the Mirage name, and will consider them along with the other 1/2 dozen good systems. If they are catering to the subliminal sex drive, there are more effective ways of doing it. I think the motorcycle apparel companies Icon, etc do a much better job.

You can over-do the sex thing... Back when Diet Coke came out some 25 years ago, they had a commercial with some super hot chick in a bikini shown in slow motion walking on a crowded beach. She had a can of Coke in her hand, but studies showed that few people noticed the can, and many couldn't remember what the commercial was selling.
I believe you have my stapler.

A boogie is a party, so an ad reflects the party atmosphere, as well as the larger than usual aircraft support. That's why people go to boogies, to jump a lot, and for the after hours parties. So the ads are directly on-point to what people expect.

For a rig ad though, people should buy a rig because of reliability, comfort and performance. So I would think people would expect discussion about the merits of the rig, and not cheap sexual innuendo.

So these are two completely different things. A rig is not a party.

Then why do you jump a racer?

I feel like crying when I see that Three. Looks like Doc Linden's "Lucky Lady" who I got to jump in the past.

Nothing offensive about the first one either. What about John Storrie's stuff? Did he get a bunch of whiners?
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

>OK, they diffinitly have my attention, but they pissed it all away by not
>giving me a single reason why I should buy a Mirage.

Doesn't matter. You just posted on the most popular skydiving website in the world about Mirage. Someone else will read your post and look at the ad. Some will be offended. Some will want to buy a Mirage in hopes of "getting some." Most won't care - but will see the Mirage name again. And the next time they go to buy a rig, they will put Mirage on their list of rigs to consider.

And that's why it works.

Plus, soem folks just love to piss others off, so they will buy it to show the ad worked!;)

I doubt I will ever afford a new rig, (But I have four) IF I bought a new one, I'd look at thier first, and compare it to a Vector, before making my choice!

And she even plays for our team... Tongue

Nah, not your team. I'm in another league. ;)

That's a given regardless of what team you're on. ;)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

that is exactly it, take any intro to marketing class and they will tell you just that.
Jump more, Bitch less.

A boogie is a party, so an ad reflects the party atmosphere, as well as the larger than usual aircraft support. That's why people go to boogies, to jump a lot, and for the after hours parties. So the ads are directly on-point to what people expect.

For a rig ad though, people should buy a rig because of reliability, comfort and performance. So I would think people would expect discussion about the merits of the rig, and not cheap sexual innuendo.

So these are two completely different things. A rig is not a party.

Then why do you jump a racer?

You obviously have never jumped a Racer or you would never have posted such an asinine comment. (BTW I jump a Micron)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm just thinking that anyone in the market for a system already knows the Mirage name, and will consider them along with the other 1/2 dozen good systems

That's a great supporting argument FOR the Mirage ads.

Let's face it, a rig is a big purchase. Even for a guy with all the money in the world, it's a purchase made to persue something you are excited about, and it's also a personal choice as you will 'wear' this around all your cool skydiving friends. As such, this is not a purchase that anyone will take lightly. Everyone buying a rig will research the different options, talk to friends and other jumpers, and do quite a bit more than look at an ad.

If you want a cheeseburger or a soda, an ad can literally change you from a 'shopper' to a 'buyer' with just one viewing. If they show you the right picture of a cheeseburger, you get hungry and buy one. Those ads can be directly effective in selling the product. A rig ad, even if it was informative and full of colorful pics, is not going to sell a rig in this day and age.

So you're left with the ads promoting the company, but even then, it's not very effective. Who doesn't know that Mirage, UPT, and Sunpath builds rigs? There are only a handful of companies building rigs for sale in this country, and they are all pretty well known in the market.

Above all in terms of marketing, we have the internet. This is where rigs are 'sold'. If you're website can illustrate the unique design and features of your rig, show the various teams you sponsor and the rigs in action, and make it easy for the consumer to understand the options, then you'll sell rigs.

So what's the point of ads in general? Not much really, but I think the biggie is that they make the magaizine possible. With the demise of Skydiving Mag, Blueskies is the last hope we have for an unbiased, print magazine, and I think the big manufacturers see the benefit of that, and essentially 'chip in' to keep the thing in print.

It's like when the biggest business in town sponsors the 4th of July parade. Everyone knows about the business already, it's the biggest one in town, but they do it anyway as part of their 'duty' to the community in which they do business.

So you have these manufactures with this ad space to fill, space they realize has lost much of it's usefulness due to the internet, so Mirage deciedes to have a little fun. Let's face the facts, skydiving is packed full of men, the sort of men who are prone to immature behavior, dirty jokes and language, and all manner of general debauchery. Yes, there are good christan men and women jumpers who never make the first few loads on Sunday becasue they are in church, but they are in the minority.

Most sunday morning loads are missed by hung-over males, who may or may not be having trouble finding their pants. It's just the way it is.

Mystery Question (Fuller brush uses this a lot)

They ask you a question to which you're expected to give a certain answer; and then once you give it, they're off to the races.

One time, I answered my door to a college-age woman:
She: "Good morning, Sir. Are you aware of what we young people have been doing in this community?"
Me: "Yes, I am."
She: " :| Oh. I see. Well... :| .. Great. Uh... well, have a nice day."

Was she cute? :)
What are we on page 6? This is way better than any thread i could have started by accident! The name calling the strange comment! This thing is better than my second thread i made when i joined up regarding the international pole dancing video!

The good people at Mirage.
I will pose nude on a hot day eating an Eskimo pie and start various thread regarding pole dancing and tank asses for one of your great products! Hell I'll even help you guys pick out colors and designs and let you name the next one after me!
Think about it.....gazing into the distance....
Introducing the Mriage Shah...que pole dancers!

Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Was she cute? :)
What are we on page 6? This is way better than any thread i could have started by accident! The name calling the strange comment! This thing is better than my second thread i made when i joined up regarding the international pole dancing video!

The good people at Mirage.
I will pose nude on a hot day eating an Eskimo pie and start various thread regarding pole dancing and tank asses for one of your great products! Hell I'll even help you guys pick out colors and designs and let you name the next one after me!
Think about it.....gazing into the distance....
Introducing the Mriage Shah...que pole dancers!

I don't think you're gonna get a bite Shah. You would have to be more hardcore than Ward. Good luck with that. B|

I don't think you're gonna get a bite Shah. You would have to be more hardcore than Ward. Good luck with that. B|

Hard core? God I wish I was good at 99% of you guys but this job and education thing keep getting in the way.
But I can bring something he can't.
Any thread started by me about any subject goes to 5 pages!
Of which 4.5 of those pages are how no matter what I said is wrong and I should be ashamed at myself?

>The good people at Mirage. I will pose nude on a hot day eating an
>Eskimo pie and start various thread regarding pole dancing and tank
>asses for one of your great products!

But see? You're doing that (well, except for the posing nude part thank God) and they didn't even have to send you a rig!

>The good people at Mirage. I will pose nude on a hot day eating an
>Eskimo pie and start various thread regarding pole dancing and tank
>asses for one of your great products!

But see? You're doing that (well, except for the posing nude part thank God) and they didn't even have to send you a rig!

Nope that was part of the contract. Getting to use my name, calling on my expert advice on color choice and a few nude photos of me wearing their equipment.
And all that for one complete parachute system.
AAD, container, reserve, parachute and leather chaps!