riddler

Wooden bike

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/innovation/05/30/eco.wooden.bike/index.html?hpt=C2

Six months later the SplinterBike emerged from Thompson's workshop in Norfolk, England.
It's a massive undertaking for something ridiculous like riding a wooden bike.

Made from a mix of hardwoods and plywood, getting around having chain was one of biggest challenge as the bike needed to have a high gear to theoretically reach speeds of over 30 miles per hour (48 kilometers per hour).
The result was a 128-tooth gear cog that connects the pedals to the rear hub.
It's at a similar gear ratio to the kinds of bikes ridden by World Champion Chris Hoy, says Thompson, "but we're looking to get something like half of what could be achieved on a normal bike like that because of the other factors involved, such as friction as wood is being used for bearings and things like that."

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Though nowhere near as intricate, this reminds me a little of John Harrison. One of the earliest proofs that he was a genius came w/a tower clock he was commissioned to design & build on a large estate. It took him two years, being completed in 1722. It's in Brocklesby Park, & has been running continuously ever since. Almost three hundred years from a radical new design, made almost entirely of various woods. Key to his design, was using a tropical tree's wood for specific parts usually requiring lubrication. Lubricating oil was a major cause of a mechanism's inaccuracy. This wood slowly exudes its own natural oils = problem seen & solved. Those interested can learn more, here: http://www.amazon.com/Longitude-Genius-Greatest-Scientific-Problem/dp/080271529X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1306768959&sr=1-1 It's a wonderful little book.

What the hell has happened to the BF?:S
Riddler's wooden bike thread has already had 2 responses, (3 now), but my Boob-Cam thread has none.>:(

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

What the hell has happened to the BF?:S
Riddler's wooden bike thread has already had 2 responses, (3 now), but my Boob-Cam thread has none.>:(

If the cam actually showed boobies the whole time the guys would flock to it. :P
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Boobs are pretty common...not every day ya see WOOD! :P

That's cause yer gettin old!

They make a pill for that problem of yours.:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I find it strange that there are over thousand views in less than a day... with only, now, seven replies.

Very interesting. :)
Most threads I see (Bonfire only) that have over 1000 have about 40 replies, and they are around for a few days at least.

People must really like wooden bikes. :P

I don't have a license for this.

Hi riddler,

A local guy:

http://www.renovobikes.com/

Those things look absolutely gorgeous, and it sounds like they ride pretty well too.

A little bit cheeky though, to use light weight as a selling point when you're charging $3k for a 5lb frame:P

Well bike frames don;t grow on tree, tho'knows.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Does that have rubber wheels or is it going to be wood on wood...insert gay joke here.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Does that have rubber wheels or is it going to be wood on wood...insert gay joke here.

How did Pinocchio know he was made out of wood?

His hand caught on fire! :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

What can I say. Not much Internet access in Cloverport, KY

Not much electricity or running water either I'm betting! ;)

Why for you need electricitie or watar? Ya ain't gotta get showr'd up to take yer sista to them movis 'for she puts out!