Nataly

Ever have an interview over the phone?

Hi Nat,

all interviews are being conducted via the phone

Well, there goes the edge that you might of had with that French Maid's outfit. :P

JerryBaumchen

I was SO waiting for that comment, but to be honest, I was expecting it from Ryoder!! :D:D

See?
You know me so well, I don't even need to tell you what I'm thinking.;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The job I have now, I was interviewed over the phone for, also one that I was in line for with the FBI, was over the phone.

Usually when you start, they will have you on a conference call or speaker phone... hope for the conference call, as the speaker phones are a pain in the ass to hear everyone.

Also, they will usually do a 'round the table' introduction, try to write thier names and jobs down so when you have questions, you can say "Mr suchandsuch, " instead of just blindly asking the question.

They generally ask a bunch of questions, sometimes in a 'rapid fire', just take them as they come, and answer them, then move on.

The job I have now, I had 2 phone interviews. One with the contracting company that I work for (general interview), and another with the unit to which I was going to be assigned (technical interview, to see if my resume matches my brain). Both were probably 5 mins a piece (FBI one was about 20 iirc).

Most importantly: Don't miss the call :P

Good luck!:)

That was because they would be utilizing a voice stress analysis test;)

I'm still tryin to figure out why they made me piss on my phone... didn't realize iPhones had an app for drug testing!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I'm still tryin to figure out why they made me piss on my phone... didn't realize iPhones had an app for drug testing!

They didn't need the drug test. Just wanted to let you know what they thought of the iPhone.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I can also have my computer logged onto the internet

Good idea. Stayed logged into the Bonfire here and we'll cheer you on and suggest things you can talk about while you interview. :)

Um... I don't think "boobies" is the right answer to everything they're going to ask!!! :D:D
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Good idea. Stayed logged into the Bonfire here and we'll cheer you on and suggest things you can talk about while you interview. :)

Um... I don't think "boobies" is the right answer to everything they're going to ask!!! :D:D

Then, do you REALLY want that job:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I do the opposite. I kinda dress down and usually walk around while talking as it helps me focus and keep loose. Just don't tighten up too much and think fast. ;)

i like this approach, last one i did i was caught off guard at a friends house, i just paced back and forth in a quiet room. thankfully i had already done my research of the company prior.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Thanks to everyone for their help :)
The interview lasted 45 minutes. The guy leading the interview let slip on numerous occasions "You will be dealing with x" instead of "The candidate will be dealing with x." Generally, I think this is a good sign.

They should be deciding at the latest next week. I SO hope I get it!!

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

The guy leading the interview let slip on numerous occasions "You will be dealing with x" instead of "The candidate will be dealing with x." Generally, I think this is a good sign.

See? Aren't you glad you answered "Boobies" to everything?B|

I sure hope you get the job, N@.:)

Were you able to grab any email addresses so that you could write a (ONE ONLY) thank-you email? Preferably of the person that would be your direct boss, if you were able to tell who that would be.

I never had so many phone interviews until I moved out to Colorado. Every job I've interviewed for here has been at least one, usually two phone interviews before I was asked to do an in-person interview. For my current job, the phone interview process was a nightmare...

The first time my potential boss called, my phone service cut out right when I answered the phone. I always had problems getting a good reception in my apartment at the time, and I wasn't expecting a call at the time he called (he called an hour early, due to meeting changes). So when he started talking, his voice was all choppy. I asked him if I could call him back within 10 minutes to give me time to get to a coffee shop, and by then the call had dropped. I frantically sent him an email explaining what had happened, and asked for a good number to call him back on.

I took my computer to a local coffee shop, and got an email with his number in it. I tried calling, and Verizon's service was giving me an "all circuits are busy" error. Fuck! I tried for about 15 minutes, and sent him an email explaining what had happened. He wrote back and said he'd been trying to call me back, but couldn't get through. He wrote and said "Maybe next week would be better?" Fuck, nooo!!! I couldn't find a pay phone anywhere (what happened to those?), and finally was able to get through to his phone. We had the initial phone interview, he liked my qualifications, and scheduled another phone interview as a conference call.

The next conference call went great, though my phone was still a little choppy. They liked what I had to say and the company sounded cool, and I was finally invited to an in-person interview.

The in-person interview went great, and I was offered the job.

I have had phone interviews in CO previously, and there was always something up with them. Either they couldn't hear me well, or my phone was cutting out, or someone would have to repeat themselves for another reason... I hate them. I do far better in person, and at least at that point the interviewer can see that I have facial piercings and a well-defined mohawk, so they can decide if they like my appearances or not on the first meeting. Saves both of us time if they don't like that up front.

Glad to hear your interview went well; good luck with the rest of the process!

Boobie's:D

My wife ended up taking a job interview via cell at the WFFC in Quincey. For a CC teaching position in Seattle WA. around 20 yr's ago.

Of course we were staying at the DZ and she was able to rent a "cell phone" (from a vendor at the DZ)

The interview was supposed to be face to face but the Jet was at WFFC:ph34r: During the interview we could hear someone announcing over the PA system about a charity fund raising event at the entertainment tent planned for that evening.:|

"Titts for tots" :D:D:D The interviewer said something about the backgound noise so the wife rolled up the windows in the car. (it was hot inside the car[:/])

dz
One Jump Wonder

The guy leading the interview let slip on numerous occasions "You will be dealing with x" instead of "The candidate will be dealing with x." Generally, I think this is a good sign.

See? Aren't you glad you answered "Boobies" to everything?B|

I sure hope you get the job, N@.:)

:D:D Awww... Thanks for always being so positive John :)
As for the suggestion by someone of a follow up thank you email, people just don't do that over here, I'm told. Shame, because I think it's the polite thing to do and shows good manners... But everyone I've asked about it said it would be weird :S
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Also, any tips / advice ...

N A K E D

;)

:P

:D

But seriously.

Take notes.
Don't miss the call.
No distractions... e.g. shut off the TV and radio, don't be doing the dishes during the phone interview, etc.

Being on the internet may or may not be a good idea? They may hear you typing, for instance and may be put off by it, would be my thought.

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2011/05/30/10-ways-to-ace-a-phone-interview

I know you already had your interview, but there are some good tips in here for the next time.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Cool - good link :)
I did pretty much what was suggested... All I can say is that I'm happy that I did the best I possibly could have. What I don't know is what the other candidates bring to the table - it's entirely possible that someone else has better and/or more relevant experience/skills.

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Did you follow up with them afterwards? At least via email, or a hand written note to thank them and follow up with some ideas?

As I have already said, the consensus over here is that following up would be "weird". [:/] People don't do it, apparently.

They said they would let me know at the latest by the end of this week... If I hear nothing this week, I will call first thing on Monday. The waiting is driving me a little bit crazy!!!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Did you follow up with them afterwards? At least via email, or a hand written note to thank them and follow up with some ideas?

As I have already said, the consensus over here is that following up would be "weird". [:/] People don't do it, apparently.

They said they would let me know at the latest by the end of this week... If I hear nothing this week, I will call first thing on Monday. The waiting is driving me a little bit crazy!!!

I don't know what kind of people don't do it... I do it, and I had 4 job offers in the last couple months (it helps to be in one of the hotest engineering fields these days, but I'll give myself at least partial credit :ph34r:). And trust me, the French love their protocol. Maybe I'm out of touch, but when I worked in the UK with French people, they did like their protocol...

Now, dont do it just for the sake of sending an email. Make it count. Ask something specific that could lead to a short email exchange. Tell them about an idea you have for one of the tasks / responsibilities entailed in the job that you feel is original or would make an impact. Follow up on a topic you talked about in your interview.
Remster

The job is in Morocco :P

Someone's in lurrrrve.... ;)

:$:)

ETA: It's still an awesome job even if it were somewhere else... The other opportunity I'm interviewing for next week is in Ghana...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Found out today I did not get the job [:/] I'm SO disappointed, but to be honest I can't blame them for picking a better applicant...

I called and asked for feedback, since I was really keen on the role, and wanted to know what to do differently should another similar opportunity arise. They said they absolutely loved me but there just happened to be an internal candidate who had done a very similar role and thus had a distinct advantage. They strongly encouraged me to apply to future vacancies and reiterated that they genuinely thought I was an excellent candidate. I didn't get the impression they were fobbing me off - I reckon if something else did come up I really would be at the top of their list. B|

Guess I will be doing that other phone interview next week after all... At least this was good practice! Still disappointed, but hey ho... Onwards and upwards... Thanks again to everyone who was so helpful and gave good advice/links :)

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss