iluvtofly

Running out of options.....

It's different systems that keep breaking. The $400 was for 2 new engine fans that died. The $110 was for new spark plugs and gaskets. The overall condition isn't that good. I'll ask him but I doubt it.

Hi

Don't know anything about the cost of the fans, but if you got charged $110 just for spark plugs. :o IMO your mech "friend" is chargeing you for more than parts.

2 engine fans that died at the same time? Hopefully a real mechanic will respond. Ever notice that when a head light burns out it only happens one at a time. If both headlights stop working at the same time it's usualy usually a electical problem thats powers both lights ...... Something like a .......Fuse.:o

I suggest you start a need thread and ask for car maintence advice from a mechanic.

Putting new parts (dual fans for $400) is what it is. The first pair lasted 190K miles and now you paid maybe dealer ship price for another pair that will be going stong way after the rest of the car is dead.

IMO based on the miles on your car. your or your mech friend should be shopping (phone or line line)for parts at a auto parts recycling center.AKA junk yard. Do not buy used spark plugs:S
One Jump Wonder

That $110 covered new sparkplugs and I believe a headgasket. Not TOO bad, considering that was installed.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Piece of cardboard, a Sharpie marker and a tin cup .. a dog on a piece of string would be a suitable accessory .

Sorry - not helping much - all the good stuff has been said already - Good luck.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

It's different systems that keep breaking. The $400 was for 2 new engine fans that died. The $110 was for new spark plugs and gaskets. The overall condition isn't that good. I'll ask him but I doubt it.

Hi

Don't know anything about the cost of the fans, but if you got charged $110 just for spark plugs. :o IMO your mech "friend" is chargeing you for more than parts.

2 engine fans that died at the same time? Hopefully a real mechanic will respond. Ever notice that when a head light burns out it only happens one at a time. If both headlights stop working at the same time it's usualy usually a electical problem thats powers both lights ...... Something like a .......Fuse.:o

I suggest you start a need thread and ask for car maintence advice from a mechanic.

Putting new parts (dual fans for $400) is what it is. The first pair lasted 190K miles and now you paid maybe dealer ship price for another pair that will be going stong way after the rest of the car is dead.

IMO based on the miles on your car. your or your mech friend should be shopping (phone or line line)for parts at a auto parts recycling center.AKA junk yard. Do not buy used spark plugs:S

Let me rephrase the fan problem. The one was completely dead. And the bearings were bad on the other and it was about to die from having to do the work of two for about 8 months.

I said spark plugs but it was spark plugs and gaskets. (Fairly certain on that, I'm not a car genius. I can check/fill fluids and change a tire. That's about it.)

I trust him fully to work on my car. He's been a mechanic for about 15 years. Everyone else I know who has a Nissan goes to him and he does excellent work. Part of the problem is I don't have the money to do regular basic maintenance on it. So it makes sense that it's having problems. I'm just stuck between a rock and hard place right now.

Honestly I'm hoping it's something as simple as one of the spark plugs or whatever he put in yesterday is bad. It ran fine all night last night. It wasn't till I came to work this morning that I had trouble. I'm heading over there now to have him look at it. Fingers crossed!

Honestly I'm hoping it's something as simple as one of the spark plugs or whatever he put in yesterday is bad. It ran fine all night last night. It wasn't till I came to work this morning that I had trouble. I'm heading over there now to have him look at it. Fingers crossed!

Do you notice the car has problems running in the morning, that it might not have in the afternoon/evening?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Do you notice the car has problems running in the morning, that it might not have in the afternoon/evening?

Not usually. Except in the winter when it's crazy cold outside. It's not happy till it's warmed up. But cold definitely is not an issue at the present time. :D

Piece of cardboard, a Sharpie marker and a tin cup .. a dog on a piece of string would be a suitable accessory .

Sorry - not helping much - all the good stuff has been said already - Good luck.

... actually they did a news story here about bums who beg on the streets & some of the good ones made more money in a day than I did >:([:/]:(B|

the chances of a bank giving her a loan with a default/repo on her record are pretty slim, wouldn't you think?

Indeed. Here are their choices then - she could recognize that she's going to spend $2k paying for car that she's not driving for two years. Add in registration or insurance fees, plus the loss in value from sitting for two year, and it will be worth less than zero when it's paid off and she has the title in-hand. Her credit is already bad, so what's the harm in defaulting on the loan and just stop paying.

Now the bank has to eat $2k, plus the cost of a repo (or attempting to repo) plus the admin costs of a bad loan. Their losses are mounting.

OR

They work with her to sell the car. Payment for the car is remitted directly to the bank. Now they have $500 and are only out $1500. If they issue her a personal loan for the $1500 over 24 months, and that pays off the car loan, the bank has that 'in the bank' and done with, are left with a $1500 liability, as opposed to the $2k+ they currently have.

Even if she defaults on the $1500, there's no repo cost, so the bank is still better off than they would have been if they stonewall her on selling the car. If she's made regular payments on the car loan, and is expressing an interest in not screwing the bank, while reducing their overall liability at the same time, it sounds like a deal worth talking about.

Again, none of this is going to be easy, but when you're buried in shit, you have to shovel some shit to get out from under it.

... actually they did a news story here about bums who beg on the streets & some of the good ones made more money in a day than I did >:([:/]:(B|

I heard a similar one on London too:(

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

... actually they did a news story here about bums who beg on the streets & some of the good ones made more money in a day than I did still do >:([:/]:(B|

Did you see the one about college graduates with 4 year degrees that make less than people who barely got a 2 year?:D:P

(don't hurt me for that comment tonight)

Maybe it's morning sickness. Wait 9 months and Voila--new car! Problem solved :P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

... actually they did a news story here about bums who beg on the streets & some of the good ones made more money in a day than I did still do >:([:/]:(B|

Did you see the one about college graduates with 4 year degrees that make less than people who barely got a 2 year?:D:P

(don't hurt me for that comment tonight)

I did 6 months in trade school and make over 100k a year:P
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

Seems clear to me that she needs to start sleeping with a good mechanic, so the parts & labor will be free of charge.:ph34r:

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I did 6 months in trade school and make over 100k a year:P

Don't tell her that, she will get pissed.:o

But the chances of a bank giving her a loan with a default/repo on her record are pretty slim, wouldn't you think?

I wonder what would happen if it got...ummm...stolen? >:(

She leaves it unlocked in her shitty neighborhood... nobody touches it.

I locked my truck, and had my gun, when I came to visit. :D:D

Besides, it just broke down, again...[:/]

Well I made it 5 miles from the office and it died. :( My friend is on his way to rescue me.

Wear something revealing.;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Get your mechanic friend to give it a really good checking-over; see what else is on its last legs.

Learn how to do more car maintenance on your own. You'd be surprised at how easy it is if you don't mind getting dirty sometimes, and guys think it's kind of sexy. Many, many problems with cars is just changing parts. You can do that.

Gojo is great at getting grease out.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hey you just need the right freeway off-ramp during the day... they dog is always a big draw and the sruffier the clothing... the better too. Just be sure to park your BMW a few blocks away so you do not blow your image.. Every off ramp here around Microsoft... has an entrepenuer out there:ph34r: