NickDG

Winter Bike Project . . .

The bike is looking great! You gotta post a video of it firing up the first time! Not a bad idea to crank it over for a bit with the coil leads disconnected and gas off, to get some oil circulated before the first fire. Can't wait to see that thing moving!

I've been involved in a couple Chevy small-block startups where we used a hand drill to spin the oil pump shaft (to have pressure) while cranking the motor over. That put oil in all the critical places. Then throw the distributor in quick, hook up the fuel and fire it up.

I'm not entirely sure it was worth the trouble, but the owner thought so.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

These Harley crate motors are pre-run at the Moco so there's some oil in it already. I had to remove the oil filter to get to the front motor mount bolts and it was full of oil. I'll just fill the oil tank and let it sit a day so it weeps down into the oil pump. Then on the pump there is a check ball you can open, if there's oil in there, you're good to go, if not you can inject some until it fills. Then I'll run the starter without the spark plugs in until I get some oil pressure.

Then replace the spark plugs (indexed of course) cross my fingers and hit the starter button . . .

I've imagined the inaugural ride around the block a thousand times. Followed by another ride around the block in the truck picking up all the parts that fell off. ;)

The second stage of this build (which even after running will never really end) will be replacing, piece by pice, all the parts I cheaped out on the first time around . . .

NickD :)

I've imagined the inaugural ride around the block a thousand times. Followed by another ride around the block in the truck picking up all the parts that fell off. ;)

That's not funny.>:(
When I proudly drove my nearly-new Sportster home, (1yo, 1000 miles on it),
the damned chain oiler fell off on the way home, and I had no idea until I was home.
Then I had to wait forever and a day for the parts because the factory was on strike.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

That's not funny.>:(
When I proudly drove my nearly-new Sportster home, (1yo, 1000 miles on it),
the damned chain oiler fell off on the way home, and I had no idea until I was home.
Then I had to wait forever and a day for the parts because the factory was on strike.

Thats what ya get for buying a dirtbike!
Running>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:ph34r:

I've imagined the inaugural ride around the block a thousand times. Followed by another ride around the block in the truck picking up all the parts that fell off.

Take a tip from the aviation industry. On the maiden flight of a new aircraft, they usually send a "safety chase" along on the first flight test bird.

;)

>>they usually send a "safety chase" along
With my luck it'll be the cops!

I cleaned up the rear fender and painted it. It's hanging in the garage now drying and tomorrow I'll mount it.

I rolled Nina outside to get her away from the paint over-spray and of course took a few pickies . . .

Thanks for the compliments guys! I'm loving the way she's looking too!

But Nina is now showing her female side and being a bit contrary. First off the paint job on her rear fender came out way too glossy. I'd been using the Hot Rod Flat Black paint without any reducer they supply (because it made it too easy to get runs) and I found, through trial and error, if you keep a good distance away with the spray gun it comes out great, but not this time. So I'll have to re-shoot it. And that's a big bummer as I thought the rear fender was going to be the last of the major paint work. (Which I hate!)

But now I have another problem too. It's with the starter jackshaft. My last Harley was set up as a kick start. Which I liked because it was simple (plus being too drunk to kick start it meant you were too drunk to ride it, so it was kind of a safety feature.) And I never messed around with an electric start setup before so I'm breaking new ground here.

I followed the instructions that came with my six speed transmission to a tee not knowing any better and it was totally wrong.

Click on "Starter_Jackshaft_Assembly_Instructions.jpg" below, read it, and come back . . .

So I put it together just like it says. But being fairly mechanical minded I'm looking at the pieces and wondering how could it be it just sits in there with no bolt or anything holding it in? Oh well, I thought, there is an end cap to keep it from shooting out and I just supposed the "Blue Locktite" held it in place. And it was some kind of new age deal I just didn't understand.

Well, no, it was way wrong. There "is" supposed to be a bolt that holds it all together but the instructions don't show a bolt anywhere plus makes it sound like indeed the Locktite holds it in place. But when I woke up this morning I started thinking about it and went, "Naw, that can't be right." When the starter disengages it physically pulls the jackshaft back out of the way of the ring gear and no amount of Locktite is going to do that repeatedly.

So I had to pull off the starter and remove the jackshaft, which was a bitch, because I coated it with Locktite! (Like an idiot, but that's what I thought the instructions said to do!)

I also didn't notice the threads in the barrel of the starter shaft for the screw because I was kinda tired and just ran my fingers around the edges, you know, making sure there were no burrs or anything sorta like you do on a late date and then I just shoved it home.

Big lesson learned . . . !

My last Harley was set up as a kick start. Which I liked because it was simple (plus being too drunk to kick start it meant you were too drunk to ride it, so it was kind of a safety feature.)

One of the things I liked about my old Sportster was that it was kickstart-only.
Simpler, and it weighed 50 pounds less than the electric-start version.
It was amazingly consistent:
- Cold - It started on the 3rd kick, ever time.
- Warm - It started on the 1st kick, ever time.

Then came the first cold November day I hauled it out of the garage for a ride.
I came down on the kickstarter as usual, and...SURPRISE!:o
No resistance whatsoever.
The arm just freely pivoted down and forward, with my foot following,
and I think my knee bent about 10 degrees in the opposite direction a knee is supposed to bend.:S

I hurriedly gave it several more kicks to get it started before the pain set in, then drove to the stealer.
They explained to me how that thick goo HD spec'd for oil, could get so thick when cold that it could occasionally prevent the pawls of the kickstarter from engaging.

After that I always carefully felt for some resistance at the start of the kick, so I could bail out before I wrecked my knee again.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The hole for the bolt in my starter that holds the jackshaft is 10-32 and the bolt that came with my belt drive is a 1/4 so I need to go find the smaller bolt (it's a screw at that size actually.)

So I re-turned my attention to the rear fender and decided I needed to re-work it. The paint came out too glossy and there's a few high points I missed in the metal. I doubt anyone would have noticed them but they were absolutely killing me.

So I hammered down the high spots and raised a few low spots I found, smoothed it out with body filler, primed and re-shot it. This time however I tuned up my spray gun (it was way out of whack) plus added a dab of reducer (tones down any gloss) to the paint. And it all came out way better. Tomorrow I'll mount it up and then I can take a little break until the last of Nina's parts come in.

In the meantime I'll start working on a wiring diagram. Hope I can remember my Ohm's Law . . .