NickDG

Winter Bike Project . . .

Nope, just be sure that you're careful when you pour out the chemicals from various stages in the treatment process. If you spill it, it will change the color of your shoes and it will kill your grass. That grass won't grow back for a long time.:o

So be sure to pour it out in your neighbor's yard.:D

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Worked on my taillight/license plate holder but I still have to finish the top contours so no pickies yet.

But I'm having second thoughts on the S&S 96" motor . . .

For less money I can get either an Ultima "El Bruto" 120" or "127".

Here's the specs . . .
Ultima 120
Bore: 4.25”
Stroke: 4.25”
Piston: Forged
Compression: 9.8:1
Rated Power: 130RW Horsepower
135 LB FT Torque
Camshaft: .640” lift
Pushrods: Crane
Valve Spring: Ultima®
Chrome Nose Cone / Rocker Boxes
Billet Oil Pump
Chrome Tappet Blocks
Ignition included on assembled engines.

Ultima 127"
Bore: 4.25”
Stroke: 4.5”
Piston: Forged
Compression: 10.2:1
Rated Power: 140RW Horsepower
140 LB FT Torque
Camshaft: .640” lift
Pushrods: Crane
Valve Spring: Ultima
Chrome Nose Cone / Rocker Boxes
Billet Oil Pump
Chrome Tappet Blocks
Ignition included on assembled engines.

Here's a review on the new 127":
http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/0504hb_ultima_engine_review/index.html

Prices: Any size (in natural finish) is $4350 from Steel Thunder:
http://www.steelthundercc.com/ultimaengines.html

100 CI Complete Engine
* 298-250 - Complete 100 CI Engine, Natural Finish ... $4,350.00
* 298-251 - Complete 100 CI Engine, Black Finish ... $4,495.00
* 298-252 - Complete 100 CI Engine, Polished Finish ... $4,850.00

113 CI Complete Engine
* 298-253 - Complete 113 CI Engine, Natural Finish ... $4,350.00
* 298-254 - Complete 113 CI Engine, Black Finish ... $4,495.00
* 298-255 - Complete 113 CI Engine, Polished Finish ... $4,850.00

120 CI Complete Engine - NOW AVAILABLE!

* 298-256 - Complete 120 CI Engine, Natural Finish ... $4,350.00
* 298-257 - Complete 120 CI Engine, Black Finish ... $4,495.00
* 298-258 - Complete 120 CI Engine, Polished Finish ... $4,850.00

127 CI Complete Engine

* 298-272 - Complete 127 CI Engine, Natural Finish ... $4,350.00
* 298-273 - Complete 127 CI Engine, Black Finish ... $4,495.00
* 298-274 - Complete 127 CI Engine, Polished Finish ... $4,850.00

The S&S 96" price (best I've found):
S&S 96" Eng. Nat. & Chrome SS Ign $4486.90 (for a 100 HP motor). And the local indie guy I spoke with said S&S is raising their prices (which in this economy is nuts).

Ulitma had some probs with vibration in the beginning (they are now balancing all their cranks) and overall reliability is getting good marks. And, of course, they are American made.

Man, with that Ultima 127" you'd get 140 HP right out of the box, that's gotta pull like a friggin freight train.

I'm sitting here grinning just thinking about it!

NickD :)

Some new developments, and the usual problems . . .

I mocked up the new HHI triple trees and they went on like butter. But they are a bit narrower than the original Ultima trees I had. At first I was going to return them for a wide glide size (these are mid-glide) but after looking at the them with the tubes in place, I like them alright. And it should be stiffer, and stiffer is always good.

But now my front axel is too long. If it was just a matter of cutting and re-threading I could do it, but it needs one end turned down on a lathe and that's about the only shop tool I don't have.

I looked on the net and found a machine shop right around the corner from me. I must have went by it a thousand times and never noticed it. I walked through the door with the axel in my hand and there's two bearded guys sitting at the desks. "Hi, is this a machine shop?" I asked. They were looking at my hands like they were expecting a gun or something. "Yes, it is," one of then said cautiously. Somebody is after these guys, I thought. Cool, my kind of people.

I explained what I needed and gave them the week they asked for. We'll see how it goes . . .

I'll also have to monkey with the front fender now too, but hey, it's only a few more beers in terms of time.

Here's Nina with her new triple trees ("Nina" cause she's nina feet long) . . .

Yes, I've seen those on some other forums and in the bike mags. I love the engineering aspects of them but they are a bit too nontraditional for me.

I've also seen some show bikes with no front downtubes and only one fork leg . . .

Sweet jesus I can't stand HUGE rear ends like that 360. There's also something to be said for a spoke wheel. Sure its traditional, sure its been around forever, but when done right they always look good. A spoke rear wheel and a raider front wheel looks good too, although some would consider the look "old school."
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I agree, flatheads, and also Knuckles, are anemic even if re-worked . . .

As for my project, one step forward and two steps back.

The machine shop did a tits job on my axel. And they charged me less than quoted so I left them a sixer of Coronas and told them to take the rest of the afternoon off. I'm pretty sure I'll need their services again.

And it fit into the sliders perfectly, but with the the thigh bone being connected to the shin bone now my front hub is too big. It was made for wide glides and going narrower ain't gonna work. Duh! I can't believe I didn't think that one all the way through . . .

So my new mid-glide HHI triple trees (which I developed a beautiful relationship with) are going back in exchange for wide glide ones. And I'm getting black anodized ones this time. They are bit more spendy but money is worthless unless you fork it over.

I'm also going with black (powder coated) sliders. Nina will be basically black with just a smidgen of chrome to set her off.

I received my seat a few days ago. It's a LePera "Bare Bones" made for Rigids. It's a Gel filled ass buster, but it looks cool enough. If you see me pulling up sometime in the near future break out the beer and morphine . . .

The trailer fender for the rear is out. I didn't take into consideration the newer low profile tires so it looks like ass. A rounder tire needs a rounder fender. So unless I buy an English Wheel and pound one out, I'll have to sink a couple bills into another one. I kinda like the Jesse James ones that WCC makes. I'm not a JJ fanboy, but okay, maybe I just like the name more. It's called "The One Ton Ho" and you can't beat that . . .

But the trailer fender (all of 20 bucks) didn't go to waste. I turned it upside down and welded it to an old car scissor jack I had. Now I can put my rear tire into it and raise it up and down to remove and install the rear tire and axel, which I've done like fifty times already, while making the metal spacers I needed. Holding it up with my feet while feeding the axel through blew chunks . . .

I also had another motor change of heart. Ultima just came out with a 96" Shovelhead and the word is Jireh (yeah, I know, Jerih) is going to sell them for $3200!

It comes with an ignition and you just add a manifold and a carb. It would be violating the two year rule like buying a first year rig that may be somewhat buggy, but man, there's so many choices now. It's like the woman menu up at the old Mustang Ranch.

This new Shovel is a bit of a stroker so longevity might be an issue, but for the money I might buy two of them so I'll have a main and reserve Shovelhead. . . :D

And now I have a new sense of urgency. I just heard LisaH went for her first motorcycle ride. And being she's totally biker chick material I'd like to take her for a long ride (a very long ride) before she falls in with those crotch rocket guys . . . . .

DUDE!
I had One Ton Ho fenders on the home built FXLR!!
I gotta dig up a pic...I have some on my myspace page....
just look for normiss :D
I can appreciate your respect for the effect one part can have to the "flow of lines" over the entire bike...didn't AD mention that as well?
As much as I'm unsure of Ultima motors...that is one purdy Shovel.
You really think ONE sixer will hold over a machine shop for an afternoon????:D
One more thing...PLEASE save Lisa from the ricers...I'm thinking she could REALLY appreciate a "Milwaukee Vibrator"!
;):D:D:D