NickDG

Winter Bike Project . . .

I had them on my first '69 Shovelhead, for me, it's the only way to go . . . and it handled just fine.

I bought the below FLH used on the day I mustered out of the Marine Corps in 1975. I paid $1100 out the door for it and thought that was all the money in the world!

I took off the swingarm and shocks and welded on a hardtail. Then I cut the neck gusset, heated up the neck, and stuck a long iron bar into it and bent it out to rake it. I didn't know anything about rake or trail in those days, and I didn't even measure the degree of rake. I just friggen eyeballed it. :o

Then I stuck 12 over tubes on it, a jockey shift, foot clutch and it was good to go. It could go straight all day without touching the handlebars. But it was a bit tougher around town, but not that bad . . .

In the upper right is me in the phone booth (it's a metal enclosure with a hard wired phone in it.) :P

NickD :)

Now that I have a seat I can start thinking of handlebars and risers. Since I'm running fatbobs that will be mounted at a high angle the handlebars need to clear the tanks. But I'm not sure if I need 8 or 10 inch risers.

Since they are kinda expensive to buy I welded together a mock up set of handlebars and risers to check the fitment. I still need to fab up some mounts for the tanks (probably should have done that first) but here's the bars I made.

All I had in my scrap metal pile was green coated 1 inch water pipe which is too heavy for real handlebars, but they worked for this mock up. But it took me a friggin hour to sand and grind off the green rubber coating . . .

I'm mounting the fatbob gas tanks at a high angle for two reasons. I rode a Bros bike some years ago with that set up and its amazing how much of the wind it blocks, it sends the wind up and around you.

Also if I ever get someone turning left in front of me and I T-bone them the fatbobs will launch me up and over the whole mess. To that end I'll mount my small mirrors downward and keep the bars as clean as possible. I'd much rather take my chances flying through the air, LOL.

But, I hope I never have to test that theory out though . . .

I've never understood guys who run spikes on their risers and other sharp and pointy stuff all over their rides. All that stuff will rip you up in an accident. Heck, I'd run Nerf parts if I could get away with it. ;)

The only thing missing in the shot "Handlebars4sm.jpg" is the cartoon bubble above your head with the caption "vrrrrrm vvvrrrrmm".

And if you are feeling badass, it would say "vrrrrrm vvvrrrrmm, mutha fucka".:o:D

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

>>The only thing missing in the shot "Handlebars4sm.jpg" is the cartoon bubble above your head with the caption "vrrrrrm vvvrrrrmm".
I only had a few seconds after activating the shutter with my camera's timer to settle into that cool poser pose - but I should've really posted the photo of me going ass over tea kettle when I tripped over the air hose . . . B|

I'm not really a "joke" poster but came across this one on another forum . . . :ph34r:

>>FOR THOSE WHO RIDE AND HAVE BEEN "STALKED" BY COPS LEAVING A BAR...THIS IS A MUST READ!!!

One night, a police officer was stalking out a particularly rowdy biker bar for possible violations of the driving-under-the-influence laws. At closing time, he saw one of the bikers stumble out of the bar, trip on the curb, & try his keys on five different bikes before he found his. Then, sat on the bike fumbling around several minutes, looking as if he might pass out right there. Everyone left the bar and rode off. Finally, he started his engine and began to pull away. The police officer was waiting for him. He stopped the biker, read him his rights and administered the Breathalyzer test. The results showed a reading of 0.0. The puzzled officer demanded to know how that could be. The biker replied, "Tonight, I'm the Designated Decoy."

Looks like that sled is coming along nicely. As much as I love my Rigid Norton, I'd love to build another Hawg. Right now I'm at the Harley Davidson Technical and Professional Development Center (the only school ran by Harley-Davidson) for the next two years to get get signed off on all of the PHDs for my master technician papers. H-D's goal is to stop hiring MMI students and to use technicians that they train themselves. This is the fifth year that the school has been opened. As for another bike, I'll most likely take advantage of the employee discount and buy myself another FLSTFB| before I graduate.

"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

>>I'm at the Harley Davidson Technical and Professional Development Center
Very cool! I'm going to keep track of your post here so I can ask you questions.

Think of it as training for your soon to be dealt with idiot customers . . . :P

Basically, just taking the Compass test and applying through the Fort Scott Community College. You'll also have to register for Pitt State College for the english classes and math as well as electives. My tuititon is being paid for through Vocational Rehabilitation (and for new tools and rollaway box). It's about $120.00 per credit hour. Total for an A.A.S. degree is 64 credit hours.
http://www.fortscott.edu/academics/programs/HD/index.asp
Neil Young

>>I'm at the Harley Davidson Technical and Professional Development Center
Very cool! I'm going to keep track of your post here so I can ask you questions.

Think of it as training for your soon to be dealt with idiot customers . . . :P

This is like starting over for me. I pretty much have to throw all I know about working on Harleys out the window>:( and learn to do it Harley's way:o. Hell, todays bikes have so much electronics on them. Nothing like the bikes of past. But, I'll be signed off on the PHDs for the electrical systems and diagnostics. One cool thing is this is the first year that they will be teaching repairs on the Buells. I will have to do a summer intership after the second semester. I've already talked to Denny's H-D in Springfield, Mo. as well as the service manager (he's also an instructor at the school) at Cycle Connection H-D in Joplin, Mo. about doing my internship at one of those dealerships.
Ya know, I thought "two years, WTF!", but if I didn't do this, two years from now, I'll be sitting somewhere thinking how I would be graduating right now had I'd gone back to school. Besides, I've always wanted to work for H-D and couldn't pass this up.
Neil Young

I have a buddy at a shop with a nice dyno.
He keeps all the EFI map files of bikes they dyno.
It's nice to have some various ones around to play with on my Roadglide. I've not hopped it up much (yet) but it was VERY handy to have a selection of maps for my Electraglide with the stroker motor!
The "canned" maps with the SERT leave a lot to be desired sometimes.
I also have a version of the Race Tuner software that allows me to use it on ANY bike.:P
Boy do I like that software...although I would LOVE to get a copy of the HD Digital Tech software.B|

I spent this morning at the Long Beach Cycle Swapmeet looking for parts I needed. This is a once a month deal here and I know how lucky I am to live nearby this event . . .

It's been cloudy and rainy for the last week or so here in So Cal but today there was no rain and the temps were in the 60s. In addition to those vending parts there were a couple of hundreds bikes that rode in and the move toward baggers was very evident as these were definitely the prevalent ride.

I scored a front brake rotor for $20 bucks. A Bates style headlight also for $20, and a decent set of Chubby Handlebars for $40. I also bought a "Bucket of Stuff" for $10. I had no idea what was in it, except for the few things I could see on top until I got home and looked . . . and it turned out pretty good.

There were lots of bikes for sale, and some for rather cheep. While 10 grand seems the baseline price for an average 5 - 10 year old big twin, there were more than a few here even cheaper than that.

Here's a few photos . . .

The first five photos are the rotor, headlight, and handlebars I purchased. The next is the "bucket of stuff" and then a photo of half the bucket laid out. There is some cool stuff here, lots of chisels, about thirty good hacksaw blades, a bunch of punches and drift pins including a big honking brass punch that's probably worth the ten bucks alone . . .

The remainder of the bucket is hardware (nuts & bolts), hose clamps, and a lot of metal fittings that should come in handy.