NickDG

Winter Bike Project . . .

Thanks Nick, for including the V Twin drag bike in your pictorial!

Although mine has a similar stance/profile, it seems to have sprouted a couple of extra cylinders! B|

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

What kind of dollar was the guy asking for on that Knuckle tranny? Not that it would be good for high performance in todays bikes, but great for a restoration bike.
Man, I would love to put together a Knuckle street sceamer. Accurate Engineering offers up a Knuckle that is 101% bad- freaking- ass.
Knuckles are, without doubt, the nicest looking engine ever designed.
http://www.accurate-engineering.com/custom_engines/knuckle.htm
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

You're right about going the cheaper route. That $8000.00+ price tag is way out of bounds for my dollar. Hell, I can build a bike for under $5000.00 by hitting swap meets and doing the majority of the work myself. I laugh and laugh and laugh at the RUBs who fork over 30 to 40k for a West Coast Crapper style of bike only to trailer it to anywhere they go due to it not being a functioning street bike. The majority of the "custom bikes" we see these days do not follow the rule that form follows function. It seems to be that many of the mega-dollar bike builders have left functionality out of the design process as they focus soley upon form. A bike can look good, but if it is not functioning as a bike should, it is merely fluff and fluff will not get you down the road in a safe manner. How many bikes have we seen where the rider is barely able to hang on to the skyscraper apes or have to lean far over to one side or another in able to see around the fuel tank. A bike must have optimal handling abilities in order to be completely streetable. By looking at Nicks pics of his build, it appears that he has place function in the right catagory over form. Keep up the good work and avoid the fluff that will kill ya.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I spent this morning fabbing up a mount for my tail light. I started with using steel but that was an epic fail. It was just too hard to cut and file into shape. So instead I went with aluminum, but I'm not sure it's not going to be too vibratey, but we'll see . . .

I started with a cardboard template for the layout and thank god for the fraction dividing calculator I found online. (I was the clown that was too cool for school and now its biting me in the ass). I used some French curves to get the angles right.

Once I got the cardboard into shape using sandpaper I blued up the piece of aluminum and transferred the template with a metal scribe. I roughly cut that out with a jigsaw and finished it off with files and burnishing tools (old screwdrivers). I then cut the mounting holes out on the drill press.

I still have to fab up some mounts for it but I'm not sure exactly where it's going to go yet. So I tied it on with some line just for giggles . . .

Man, the weather in So Cal is just bitching! It's in the 80s today and blue as hell. I just wish I could hurry this process up. Days like this you just don't get back.

I'm getting that new Ultima Shovelhead motor for sure. It's five large so it may be another month or two before I'll have the dough, but life's too short not to ride what stokes you. Its, from what I understand, an Evo bottom end but with heavier flywheels so it should be the best of both the old and new. I'm finding that with regular Evos if you idle them down enough to sound decent the oil light starts flickering. Can't hang with that . . .

Hey, my UPS guy just showed up with my new black anodized Hawg Halter Triple Trees so now I can get the front end sorted. If I don't hit the beers too hard this afty I might just have myself a roller . . .

NickD :)

That's a good looking mount. If you're worried about flex, what if you cut out some strips to brace around the outer edge, with some brass rivets, it would look really bitching!

Sweet choice with the motor! I really think an Evo would trash the look of what you have going on.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Here in Florida...that's a $1000 fine waiting for the dick with a badge..

Seriously, for the LP mount?

I'm glad its still OK in TX or I would probably have a few citations already...

Except I made mine out of 18ga steel, cut out with a torch, then again it doesn't look as clean as Nick's, but I think it might kill someone if it falls off the bike (again).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."