Nataly

Can men and women be "just friends"

Absolutely men and women can be just friends. I have quite a few female friends, including a good number at the drop zone.

I have very good boundaries, so if either the woman of I am in a relationship there is minimal or no sexual tension, I just am not going to cheat or help somebody else too. Then I can look at them like my little sister.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Absolutely, positively YES!!!

Any ONE of these will work: (i) she is American; (ii) older than 25 yrs.; (iii) at 5'5, weighs more than 120 lbs (adjust accordingly for height variations).

In those cases, I prefer our relationship to be platonic!

I mean beyond teens and early 20's - I'm talking strictly platonic for both parties.

Any ONE of these will work: (i) she is American; (ii) older than 25 yrs.; (iii) at 5'5, weighs more than 120 lbs (adjust accordingly for height variations).

I mean beyond teens and early 20's - I'm talking strictly platonic for both parties.

Shah, you got a new screen name!:D

What up with the beyond teens and early 20's thing?

I'm early 20's and I couldn't even manage to be "just friends" with my best friends girlfriend. I would think the older you were the easier it would be.

I think that's the point ;) We're just giant sacks of hormones so it's harder for people our age to be "just friends" when your body screams "PROCREATE". Theoretically, people older than that would have an easier time ignoring biology because it's not screaming at them. But FWIW I think even people our age can be "just friends" at least in action. You may get the thoughts & the hormonal drive, but doesnt mean you have any intention of acting on them.

What up with the beyond teens and early 20's thing?

I'm early 20's and I couldn't even manage to be "just friends" with my best friends girlfriend. I would think the older you were the easier it would be.

Like Shroppy said - it's more to do with respect (and IMO maturity) and that is not something tht necessarily comes with age...

What's up with the age thing is that in my university days I had lots of friends (male and female) but I have personally found that being "just friends" becomes harder in time when people are married and/or in committed relationships... I have also personally found that as I've grown older I have become more aware of "hidden agendas" (and hidden feelings)... And finally, I keep surprising myself with having less rigid (and more down-to-earth) notions of "right and wrong" as I've gotten older... So I do think age/experience/maturity are factors to be considered in answering the question...
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I have personally found that being "just friends" becomes harder in time when people are married and/or in committed relationships...

Interesting; I'd say exactly the opposite.

I feel like since I'm in a committed relationship, that fact right there defines quite clearly the boundaries of any relationship I might have with another man. Nothing romantic or sexual is going to happen, so any relationship the two of us have, by definition, isn't going to go any farther than friendship. Even if I do find the guy attractive, by the terms of my relationship with my boyfriend (commitment, exclusivity) I won't act on that attraction. So the positive feelings I have toward that guy get channeled into a good friendship. Which is cool, because if I'm "attracted" to them in a way that (if I were single) might make me want to date them, I'm also attracted to them as a person and I will likely have a good friendship with them.

Of course, all of this presumes that I have (as I do) a partner who is secure and confident in his role in my life, and it presumes that in all of my relationships outside my primary one (be they friendships, family relationships, professional relationships) I respect the main one at all times. Goes both ways, of course - he's got to respect the relationship as well, and I've got to trust that he'll do that despite also having friendships with women.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Agree with everything you said... Perhaps "harder" is not quite the right word...

Just meant that I seem to hang out less and less with men... A big part of that is that I simply have less time... Less time because I work; less time because I hang out with my man; less time because they hang out with their girlfriends... Just find that I naturally have fewer guy friends these days.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Shah, you got a new screen name!:D

HAHA i thought the same thing!:D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

But FWIW I think even people our age can be "just friends" at least in action. You may get the thoughts & the hormonal drive, but doesnt mean you have any intention of acting on them.

+1 Being "just friends," is a choice.

Whazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzup??:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Yeah sure why not.
I mean if her ass is bigger than mine and it would take me 12 beers to think she is hot than sure
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

But FWIW I think even people our age can be "just friends" at least in action. You may get the thoughts & the hormonal drive, but doesnt mean you have any intention of acting on them.

Did you seriously just say that to your sister?!?!?!?!?!?! Whole new level of EEEEEWWWWWW. :P

But to answer the OP. I believe it is possible. It does get much easier with age and maturity. 3 years ago I wouldn't really talk to any guys unless I was interested in them. Now I have guy friends that I'm perfectly comfortable just hanging out with or calling up to give a quick "hey".

Did you seriously just say that to your sister?!?!?!?!?!?! Whole new level of EEEEEWWWWWW. :P

Agreed.