flipper

New stuff at the PIA

I plan to replace both my Pro-Dytters with the new Solo from L&B, due for release in 4 - 6 months. I like the under canopy alarms, and the tones are much louder.

I own two altimeters - an Altimaster III wrist mount and a Galaxy hand mount. I plan to get rid of the Altimaster III, put the Galaxy on a wrist mount, and buy L&B's new hand-mounted "Altitrack." I like the analog face, and the different graduations for higher and lower altitudes. The digital data logger will be a new one for me - I have never owned a Pro-Track. The Altitrack is also due for release in 4 - 6 months.

When PD's new reserve comes out, I will make plans to reconfigure my gear. I own an Odyssey J4K with a PD176R and Stiletto 170 in it. The lightweight reserve would result in my being able to go up one reserve size to a 193 and down one container size to a J3. Unfortunately, I believe their plans are to release tham as they did the Katana, smaller sizes first. Behemoths like me will have to wait. [:/]

I was also happy with RWS's improvements to the Sigma Tandem: "Micro Sigma." Tapered at the top with a thicker reserve container so it doesn't fit so wide on the shoulders of smaller TIs; pulley system MLW adjustment, adjustable out or in with the rig on your back; improved riser covers; improved main pin protector flap; improved window in the reserve pin protector flap; possible new RSL lanyard design; Sigma 340 main (neither the rig nor the canopy were completely done).
Arrive Safely

John

and buy L&B's new hand-mounted "Altitrack." I like the analog face, and the different graduations for higher and lower altitudes. The digital data logger will be a new one for me - I have never owned a Pro-Track. The Altitrack is also due for release in 4 - 6 months.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Agreed.

Alti 2 is developing a similar altimeter for the military market, but it does not record. Maybe we should pressure Alti 2 to compete directly with Altitrack.

I was also happy with RWS's improvements to the Sigma Tandem: "Micro Sigma." Tapered at the top with a thicker reserve container so it doesn't fit so wide on the shoulders of smaller TIs; pulley system MLW adjustment, adjustable out or in with the rig on your back; improved riser covers; improved main pin protector flap; improved window in the reserve pin protector flap; possible new RSL lanyard design; Sigma 340 main (neither the rig nor the canopy were completely done).

Holy crap RWS read my freak'n mind.

Except for the "micro sigma" I could really give a shit about that...it doesn't effect me.

But adjustable MLW while the rig is on would be a complete gift from god for a guy at a DZ like mine (3 TIs all a different size, from scrawny, to oaf like me).

And the main pin protection...that's awsome, even brand spanking new it really doesn't even stay closed.

What's the weight limit on the 340 main?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I didn't ask . . .

Lets assume 500lbs of combined weight for just a second.

That's not that much change in wingloading overall. Just a little more power to penitrate winds, but still have that excellent flare power that the Sigma's have...

Sounds like we need to call and get a demo. :D<--excited face

We don't plan to change the upper weight limit for the Sigma 340 main. Technology has improved enough since the 370 was introduced to make the 340 equal or better to it in every way, while packing a little smaller. Test jumpers say it flares just as well as the 370. However, nothing is set in stone yet.

We don't plan to change the upper weight limit for the Sigma 340 main. Technology has improved enough since the 370 was introduced to make the 340 equal or better to it in every way, while packing a little smaller. Test jumpers say it flares just as well as the 370. However, nothing is set in stone yet.

Thank you Mr. Booth for the reply.

Well, when its set in stone, I'll be calling for a demo.

Any guess on a release date?

Lets assume 500lbs of combined weight for just a second.

That's not that much change in wingloading overall. Just a little more power to penitrate winds, but still have that excellent flare power that the Sigma's have...

Sounds like we need to call and get a demo. <--excited face

Give the Icarus/Eclipse 330 a try...... awesome little tandem canopy.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Give the Icarus/Eclipse 330 a try...... awesome little tandem canopy.

Well, if given a choice, I would choose a Sigma main or an Aerodyne A2 over the Icarus tandem, although some truely enjoy the Icarus tandem canopy, I personally do not find it suited to me as a TI.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never saw any new stuff. I was too busy following all the cheerleaders around the building and up the escalator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You did mean to say that you were following the cheerleaders mom's didn't you??????

as for me i was following the cheerleaders around since i believe (more than likely) i was the only one legal to be talking to them anyway :P:D. see it sometimes pays to be under 18 ;)

later

maybe someone just for the hell of it should make a container with the reserve on bottom and the main on top.

there isn't really much more to do.

later

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

We discussed upside-down rigs last year.

Circa 1998, Ted Strong jumped his upside-down rig at a few accuracy meets. Ted built his rig upside-down so he could install four harness rings for four distinct main risers: two on the front of his shoulders and two on his shoulder blades. Ted theorized that spreading the load would yield better pitch stability for accuracy competitors flying Para-Foils.

Another upside-down rig is manufactured in Eastern Europe (Poland?) for the military market. It seems that communist military freefallers like to attach drogues to the scruffs of their necks, and that configuration works better if the main is on top.

How about putting the reserve up front...in its own separate container. Wow! That way, if you had a reserve total, you could just pull it open yourself.

Plus you could make it detachable, using clips like for tandem passengers. That way if you had to use it, you could just grab a new one from a buddy and continue to jump your regular harness and main. And if you closed it with velcro, you could probably engineer it so that it wouldn't have to have a ripcord you could lose. Also, if one side came loose during deployment, the other side should stay fastened well enough for you to find out about rotational stability.

Mark

Hey! How about putting the reserve up front...in its own separate container. Wow! That way, if you had a reserve total, you could just pull it open yourself.

yall are getting a little crazy now with all that talk!!;);):P:P;);)

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Hey! How about putting the reserve up front...in its own separate container. Wow! That way, if you had a reserve total, you could just pull it open yourself.

Great Idea! Than you could attach it with butterfly snaps or quick release hooks so you could un hook it after your main was open to see the target better.:D
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

>they where taking a survey to see if people would buy a new
>reserve just because it packs smaller . . .

I would seriously consider such a reserve since I'm getting a little tired of buying rigs sized for a 150 main/150 reserve. Sure, my reserve fits fine, but the main swims in the container - and few manufacturers are making small main/large reserve rigs.

I would pay more for such a reserve as well. I like to keep my reserve size bigger than the main and the way containers are sized right now, such a reserve makes a lot of sense.

Kris.

Please excuse my pessimism, but it sounds like another plot to drive riggers insane.
Some young skydiver is going to buy a new Micron sized for a new PR 143 (same pack volume as an old PR113) then he is going to turn cheap and buy an old PR143.
The final stage - of his plot to drive his rigger insane - involves asking his rigger to pack the old PR143 into a PR113-sized container.
Riggers already wander around mumbling to themselves.
Additional confusion will drive riggers around the bend!
Is PD going to supply free strait jackets?
BWAHAHAHAHA!
{satanic laughter}

Is PD going to supply free strait jackets?

Only for you, Rob!! :)
I think the ability to upsize the reserve without having to upsize the container is a good thing. I'd like to see what PD has to say about the strength and durability of the new fabric, though.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The final stage - of his plot to drive his rigger insane - involves asking his rigger to pack the old PR143 into a PR113-sized container.
Riggers already wander around mumbling to themselves.

Well, just close the rig with half the reserve coming out, like when you see a guy walking down the street with some toilet paper coming out of his pants.

When the customer asks why half his reserve is in a ziploc bag on the outside of the container, tell them that the container could only fit XXX cubic inches, and you did not have the authorization to cut half the canopy off, so you went to plan B. Then give them scissors and tell them that they can just cut the canopy off right where it leaves the container without the need for a repack, you put the important part inside the container for them.

:P

(Just for liability purposes, I will now say this whole post was a joke. No one do this, please!)

But, seriously, as long as PD names the new reserve correctly, and manufactures update their sizing charts, I don’t see this being too big of a deal. If I don’t do my research when I buy my gear, it is my loss when the rigger tells me I made a big boo-boo and have to start over.