flipper

New stuff at the PIA

PD introduced a Z-Braced canopy that has far more parts than I can count.
However, PD promises that if I guess the correct number of parts, they will give me a free canopy

From what I have heard of the z-bracing, I'm guessing it looks like this?

Edited to add: The drawing represents just one cell.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

From what I have heard of the z-bracing, I'm guessing it looks like this?

Does your diagram represent one cell?

Right.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Heard that PD HAd some new canopies

pd has a proto type "z brace" canopy. it's a 5 chamber per cell with cross bracing.......the drawing above is correct.

pd also has a reserve they are considering releasing, it is made of a new material that packs 20% smaller than the reserve of the same size. they had a pd 143 and the new proto type 143 right next to each other, the standard one was in a normal freebag for the size, the proto type was in a standard pd 106 freebag (that's what i was told from one of the workers there). it packs a lot smaller for sure, but it will cost more to build because the material costs more. they where taking a survey to see if people would buy a new reserve just because it packs smaller (this way you can have a larger reserve in the same small container).

icarus had there reserve there, it's waiting on paperwork to get back from the FAA i guess.

aerodyne didn't have anything new, but the replacement for the Amax will be out "soon" i was told. aerodyne also had there tandem rig there that is just being used for military right now, they said they may bring it to the market, i think they should it looks pretty kick ass.

sunpath had a interesting rig there made out of like the carpet you put in an outside covered room with a football in the middle of it, i think built for the upcoming super bowl.

that's all i can think of right now.

later

sunpath had a interesting rig there made out of like the carpet you put in an outside covered room with a football in the middle of it, i think built for the upcoming super bowl.

This is atleast the 2nd PIA that Sunpath made some sort of oddball rig for the show, but they still really haven't come out with anything truely new in about 10 years it seems...sure the odysey, but that's not that different from a regular Jav...

I was kind of hoping and expecting to see something totally new from them in the past year or two...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I was kind of hoping and expecting to see something totally new from them in the past year or two...

to be honest what do you expect??? i mean there isn't much more you can do to make the containers different ya know.

maybe someone just for the hell of it should make a container with the reserve on bottom and the main on top.

there isn't really much more to do.

later

>they where taking a survey to see if people would buy a new
>reserve just because it packs smaller . . .

I would seriously consider such a reserve since I'm getting a little tired of buying rigs sized for a 150 main/150 reserve. Sure, my reserve fits fine, but the main swims in the container - and few manufacturers are making small main/large reserve rigs.

to be honest what do you expect???

A lot actually, I have a small list and its that list that has kept from buying one or even jumping another jav for a good while. However, who cares. I don't really have any desire to have a fight with the Jav cult and I know I will never buy one of their products (and I'm definately not the only one).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

to be honest what do you expect???

I'd like to see a chest strap buckle on a Javelin that allows a 1" (type 17?) chest strap to be folded over (tacked) and still be able to pass through the buckle. I lost a hook knife when I jumped a demo Odyssey at the Eloy Christmas Boogie when I loosened the chest strap after opening and it came straight out of the buckle! Grrrr!

I'd also like to see the closing loop mounted on the container flaps rather than at the base. It's a pain keeping it from interfering with the lines when you put the bag in the container.

I'd also like to say a flap that tucks up.

A Javelin would still be unique with it's style and materials even with these "common" features.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

they where taking a survey to see if people would buy a new reserve just because it packs smaller (this way you can have a larger reserve in the same small container).

Would anyone from PD care to comment on the results of the survey? I'm guessing a lot of people would, but that's because I would (although I look at it the other way, I'm looking to downsize soon and it's more a "would I buy a new PD reserve that packs smaller if it meant I could get a smaller container"). PD should run a survey on their website. I would imagine that the sample of people going to the PIA are more your full-timers in the industry type rather than your average skydiver, who would be more interested in smaller packing, big reserve. In fact, I think I'll go and post a poll on this forum.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

to be honest what do you expect??

I'd like to see them move to a upwards pointing main closing flap. You know, like the ones on:

Vector III.
Mirage.
Wings.
Aerodyne Icon.
RI Voodoo.
Parachute de France Atom Legend.

No matter how many times Supath claimes to "fix" the main closing flap, I continue to see them open in freefall.

Newer and better designs exist. There's no excuse. They risk going the way of the Racer.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I'd like to see them move to a upwards pointing main closing flap. You know, like the ones on:

Vector III.
Mirage.
Wings.
Aerodyne Icon.
RI Voodoo.

No matter how many times Supath claimes to "fix" the main closing flap, I continue to see them open in freefall.

Newer and better designs exist. There's no excuse. They risk going the way of the Racer.

_Am

An upward flap is not really the answer. (although I agree it can and does help in many cases)
Infinity for example seems to have no problems with main flaps opening.

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

I think that there would be a significant market for the smaller-packing reserve, if the cost difference were in the $125-$200 range. Less than $100 and half the market would buy them, more than $250 and less than 10%. And I wouldn't be the 1st, or 101st, on the block to have one.

JMHO.

Vector III.
Mirage.
Wings.
Aerodyne Icon.
RI Voodoo.

The Atom legend main flap doesn't tuck up. I know it looks like it does, it honestly doesn't. It's attached to the top flap like a hinge, then the side flaps are closed and pinned, then the top flap tucks into a pocket on the bottom of the container, behind the BOC pouch. Sort of hard to explain, but a neat idea. Sunpath could easily, ahem, "use this for consideration".

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

I know it looks like it does, it honestly doesn't.

Really? This one? http://www.parachutes-de-france.com/sources/html/clients/en/produit_t/97.html

I've never seen one up close, but that picture looks a lot like the others.

_Am

That's the new version of the Legend, but I don't think they made any changes to the pin cover flap. There's a thread in Stammtisch with some closeup pictures of a Legend if you're interested.

If I read that correctly, Sunpath pretty much copied the Infinity reserve tray? That's flattery in it's finest. The incorporated riser covers of an Infinity are excellent!!! and the Javelins as they are now ... well... how do I say... are not nearly as excellent <== was that pc enough? :P
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto